1985 corvette - gas in oil?

zeitgeist57

My grandfather in law is having problems with his 85 Corvette I referred to in another thread. Apparently, it sat for awhile and the fuel went bad. The fuel pump was replaced three times before my GFIL realized bad gas was likely killing everything. A shop eventually got the thing running, but it naturally ran like shit. He noticed after driving it that the oil level got really black really fast, and the oil level actually rose. It smelled like gas, and he's convinced that raw fuel is making its way into the oil.

The only way that I think raw fuel is being dumped into the oil, is from an intake manifold gasket that had been replaced...if it is leaking somehow, then maybe more than one fuel injector could be stuck open from bad gas, and the combination of problems is allowing too much fuel into the intake runner and past a bad intake gasket, into the lifter valley and crankcase??? He had the heads milled and some "porous" parts of the heads welded and fixed. Sounds like a fucking mess of a maintenance job.

Any thoughts how gas gets into oil would be appreciated!

yeah proly time for a swap or sell the thing to someone who wants a roller to start with.

Id bet rings are worn, best start would be a cylinder leak down test and compression test just to determine the health of the motor. Pull a plug or two and see how they look, maybe even replace the plugs and drive it then pull the plugs and see what the engine is telling you.

Either way for the most part unless the car is cherry or you are doing work yourself or himself it is proly not worth it.

Proably wore out. The 80s monsters made like 170 180hp and most ran like crap. If its a car he loves id pull the motor and build a real sbc to replace that low hp monster. Could be a bad inj stuck open but it would run like crap. We'll worse than a 180hp monster. Tell him ill sell him my 355 nitrous motor. 12.4:1 forged internals ported heads and the fuel system w nitrous setup for 5000! Then ud have a real monster with enuf power for 9s if he wants

Ask anyone that was at the grove city car show how the stock red s10 blazer sounds.

Well here is how it sounds

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/Mattsv8_03/video-2012-09-18-19-52-10_zpsdeba2fce.mp4

Edited by Mattsv8

Do this car have the ninth (cold start) injector like the early F-body TPI systems? If so, it could be stuck open/leaking extra fuel into the intake. When these leak, the car will usually still run decent since the regular injectors are still functioning correctly, but it would be super rich. They make a block off kit for this, since they were kind of troublesome and not really necessary.

Bad diaphram at the fuel pressure regulator? I am just stabbing here.

If it has a vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator then thats a possibility but I have no idea if it does or not. That could make it run rich enough to wash down the cylinder walls which likely aren't sealing well anyway.

yeah proly time for a swap or sell the thing to someone who wants a roller to start with.

Id bet rings are worn, best start would be a cylinder leak down test and compression test just to determine the health of the motor. Pull a plug or two and see how they look, maybe even replace the plugs and drive it then pull the plugs and see what the engine is telling you.

Either way for the most part unless the car is cherry or you are doing work yourself or himself it is proly not worth it.

This^^^ is a better way to look at the situation.