Lead body work? Won't stick to metal

zeitgeist57

Another member on CR was generous enough to give me a 1-ft stick of 70/30 body lead. I was trying to fill in some door and fender holes from rearview mirrors and badges, respectively. When I heated up the door skin, I added some lead, blotted it with a hardwood handle and it would barely stick to the metal. I had the smallest hole filled in, but most of the larger holes would just push lead through, which would harden and break off into the door. :mad:

I then got some flux from Home Depot, brushed the gray paste on the door, heated it up until it turned to liquid, and tried again with the lead stick. Still no adhesion.

I cleaned the area around the holes to be filled with a wire wheel on an air angle grinder, and wiped the bare metal with vinegar before adding the flux. Any assistance on doing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I hope you realize that the EPA doesn't allow lead to be used in cars any longer so you will never be able to start you truck. Way to go Clay. ;)

SRS though, good luck with the lead. I've heard using lead is an art and can be very difficult to do.

Sorry to hear that Clay. All my holes were small and I thought it was quite easy.

No problem, Chad. I'm not sure if I'm prepping the metal correctly or what.

Even with that, I've got a few holes that are much too big: I'm going to need to go back to creating a filler piece and tacking it in...