Giant Eagle Gift Card Policy Change

Wease

For those who use and abuse the Giant Eagle gift card gas perks (20 cents off a gallon per $50 spent), as of 10/4/2012, they are reducing it to 10 cents off a gallon per $50 spent. :(

This really sucks, I've been making a killing between their gift cards and my Blue Cash Preferred Amex card (6% cash back at the grocery). Granted, I think Giant Eagle still has a better gas reward program than Kroger, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up if you use this program as much as I do.

So between today and tomorrow, if you still want that 20 cents off with the gift card purchase, you'd better jump on it. I just bought a pile of gift cards today. :)

FYI, Giant Eagle still offers 20 cents off a gallon per $50 spent on regular groceries.

Giant Eagle & Kroger plus cards are owned/operated by the same company, as long as both cards are under the same phone number you can use a Giant Eagle card at kroger and a Kroger plus card at Giant Eagle to earn points & savings, BUT you have to go to the self check out. this has worked for a very long time unless they've caught on and stopped it.

Now I haven't tried this but a guy at work said if you have $.30 off in gas at Kroger and $.50 off at Giant Eagle and you scan both cards at the pump you'll get the $.80 off(like I said I haven't tried this so I don't know if this is true, but I know it works or use to work at the self check out)

Another thing that DOES work: my g/f and I both needed gas, we had $.40 off at Kroger, so I wanted to try something. we pulled up at the same pump but on oppisite sides, she scanned the plus card and her debit card then waited for me to do the same, both screens showed $.40 off so we filled up both getting the full $.40 fuel reward.

Giant Eagle & Kroger plus cards are owned/operated by the same company, as long as both cards are under the same phone number you can use a Giant Eagle card at kroger and a Kroger plus card at Giant Eagle to earn points & savings, BUT you have to go to the self check out. this has worked for a very long time unless they've caught on and stopped it.

Now I haven't tried this but a guy at work said if you have $.30 off in gas at Kroger and $.50 off at Giant Eagle and you scan both cards at the pump you'll get the $.80 off(like I said I haven't tried this so I don't know if this is true, but I know it works or use to work at the self check out)

Another thing that DOES work: my g/f and I both needed gas, we had $.40 off at Kroger, so I wanted to try something. we pulled up at the same pump but on oppisite sides, she scanned the plus card and her debit card then waited for me to do the same, both screens showed $.40 off so we filled up both getting the full $.40 fuel reward.

Interesting, I am curious to see if the GE card works at K via the self check. That would be hilarious.

Interesting, I am curious to see if the GE card works at K via the self check. That would be hilarious.
no it doesnt and neither does the combining points thing. All using the ge card will get you is 3 cents off. And another word of advice, dont try to fill 2 vehicles on one transaction lol

like stated make sure the cards are under the same phone number.

I was in the self check out behind a lady at Kroger, she scanned her plus card and her groceries then scanned a Giant Eagle card that took money off her purchase, I saw it in person.

plus over the radio a few weeks ago the news lady mentioned this same thing someone called in talking about it and the DJ confirmed it works because he does it.

no it doesnt and neither does the combining points thing. All using the ge card will get you is 3 cents off. And another word of advice, dont try to fill 2 vehicles on one transaction lol

it only works if you go to the oppisite side of the pump as the other person. scan card & CC or DC, wait for the other person on the other side to get to the same screen as you(asking if you wanna use the reward point), g/f and I have done that multiple times, its 2 different transactions.

And another word of advice, dont try to fill 2 vehicles on one transaction lol

Do this all the time. If I've got a $100 gas card and points I can only redeem once I'm getting $100 worth of gas damn it. I fill up, set hose on the ground and drive off then wife pulls forward and drains the rest of the gas card. We leave for work at the same time in the morning so it's not even like we have to coordinate when we do this.

/\/\

See I tried that a couple times and damn attendant shut it down every time, different locations too.

Non issue now since I have a 36 gallon tank in the truck. lol

this is why i said it lol. im the manager of the fuel center in reynoldsburg. they try to tell us it has to be done because its a fire hazard, but its nothing more than them trying to save money. i wont lie, i shut it off on people i dont like though lol.

this is why i said it lol. im the manager of the fuel center in reynoldsburg. they try to tell us it has to be done because its a fire hazard, but its nothing more than them trying to save money. i wont lie, i shut it off on people i dont like though lol.

you better not ruin my trick!

Havent tried this buy why not go after dark when the attendent isant in the gas hut thinge. i know the ge on morse and hamilton the hut is un attended when it gets later. Thought about going after dark and filling both cars at teh same time...

f you for shutting it off gary :lol:

I bring 3 gas cans with me. I get 30 gallons every time, pump shuts off. I might have to try the double card scan thing, although it seems like stealing, especially when our last fill up was $3.50 off a gallon. Imagine getting 60 gallons for that price!

Havent tried this buy why not go after dark when the attendent isant in the gas hut thinge. i know the ge on morse and hamilton the hut is un attended when it gets later. Thought about going after dark and filling both cars at teh same time...

f you for shutting it off gary :lol:

Idk how giant eagle is, but krogers stuff is all computer controlled and programmed to shut down 15 minutes after we close. So if you get there right about 10 ( or when ever your local one closes) , you will have that time to fill up whatever

You fuckers scamming the system is why this shit is being rolled back. We can't have anything nice around here.

Yeah, you might be on to something. Or it could be the local businesses that are buying thousands in Home Depot and Lowes cards and driving for free all year... :o

. Or it could be the local businesses that are buying thousands in Home Depot and Lowes cards and driving for free all year... :o

This. I know a company that would buy $100k of HD cards from GE every month.