Tip: Toss the claybar. Get Nanoskins.

ForeverMaker

DSC_0155.JPG

Developed for DA's but I just use it by hand. With the lube, go back and forth across the surface a few times in straight lines to decontaminate.

If you drop it or get it dirty just rinse off. More cost-effective than claybar. Faster to use, easier, etc.

This *can* mar super-soft paint so if you aren't polishing afterward be careful.

Have you used it yet? How do you like it? I was reading up on these a couple of months ago. Still on the fence about it though.

Yes a few times. The speed and ease of use far surpasses claybar. I was skeptical as well but finally ordered and do not regret it.

They come in medium and fine grades and the fine seems to work well where I don't feel a need for the medium yet. Since they have developed the material now I am hoping they release some different forms of pads more suitable for hand use.

As mentioned, just watch out for minor marring on soft paints. If you aren't going to do some sort of polishing after using a Nanoskin then tread carefully.

Picked this up last month, cant wait to use it.

Would you recommend using it by hand instead of with a RO?

I was going to ask the same thing... I have a DA, and that seems like it would work well with one, since that was it designed for... but I am curious if it would also cause more marring of hte paint as it picked up 'stuff'. Moreso than by hand since that is less pressure/speed than a DA...

They make D/A attachments to hold a clay bar too, I've never used one though.

Key with the Nonoskin is use a shit ton of lube. I probably used too much my first couple tries because I was scared to death to see what the result was after using it. I sand with D/A when I need to though so at least the comforting part is that I know I"ll be able to fix whatever.

My personal take is I don't care what you've got and how much lube you use using both these pads and a regular clay bar will slighly marr whatever surface you're working on. I don't like to clay anything unless I'm prepared to polish it afterwords or it's extremely hard paint. Same goes for the nonoskin, I used it on a hard GM clear via D/A and didn't really detect any marring but I wasn't looking that hard for it either and the paint was a light color. I still assume it marred it slightly but not much. If in doubt use by hand but still expect that even by hand it'll cause a slight amount of marring if you're really looking closely for it. It's not going to look like you just sanded the car or anything but it will likely induce a small amount of damage that will need to be correted with some polishing work.

Benefits still outweigh the risks, removing those contaminants and following up with a light polish will make for much more healthy paint than leaving them in there to get worse over time.

Andy