M&P9c night sights upgrade and then some

Hahn

So after my last visit to the range, i get home to clean the pistol and realize that my front sight white dot had fallen out/apart/deteriorated. After a quick search, i found that this was some what of a common problem. For a quick fix, i use some of the wifes neon green nail polish to cover where the white paint used to be, but it didnt help at all. No problem, this was just the excuse i needed to upgrade the sights. So i make a trip to Vances, pick up some AmeriGlo night sights and have them installed while i wait. $117 total and they didnt charge for install. Obviously low light/no light is a 100% improvement over the standard sights, and day light seems about the same but might actually be an improvement as well considering the little green breaks up all the white which i think will help. I will find out if thats true or not the next time i shoot. Sorry the pics arent the greatest, but im strapped for time between baby naps.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/firefighter_hahn/Guns002.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/firefighter_hahn/Guns003.jpg

In the dark.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/firefighter_hahn/Guns004.jpg

I love this pistol.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/firefighter_hahn/Guns005.jpg

This is just a cheap IWB holster i picked up for like $25 when i got my CCW. It works, but i just ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck yesterday so im anxiously awaiting that. Anyone have any experience with the Supertuck? Thinking of turning this one into a car/seat mounted holster of some sort.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy149/firefighter_hahn/Guns006.jpg

1) Nice pistol.

2) I must be the only one who thinks night sights are a total waste of money.

3) Why does the back of those M&Ps look like a lost tetris game?

1-Thank you, i love it.

2-Maybe you should try them and see for yourself. I might not have done it had my original sight not fell apart. But this was the logical choice after that.

3-No idea, maybe has something to do with being striker fired is my guess.

If it sits in the safe, yes it is. If it used for home defense, it is definitely not a waste of money.

Or especially if it's an EDC.

OP - Have you looked at the Trijicon HD Sights versus the ones you installed? I'm looking to upgrade on my M&Pc as well. Any height difference versus OE?

As well, I have the Crossbreed holster and I absolutely love it. When mounted properly (I have mine at 4 o'clock) and a proper belt you can't feel it at all, it's super comfy...I can wear it all day.

I also have a Raven Phantom holster as well of OC. If you're going to carry, IMO you need a properly molded holster (whether that be leather or kydex)

I also think night sights are of limited use. Few reasons:

1) If it's too dark to see regular sights, then it's too dark to be sure of your target. You won't know if you're about to pop that at large serial rapist or if it's just a family member coming home late, getting a drink, etc.

2) Even the brightest sights are still difficult to see. They aren't bright enough to make out well unless you're aiming into darkness, and then are difficult to align since there is no other reference beside 3 floating points. A weapon light, or just holding a flashlight, will be much more effective for aiming, as you have an illuminated background. Also the flashlight lets you ID the target which is quite important as noted above.

1) If it's too dark to see regular sights, then it's too dark to be sure of your target. You won't know if you're about to pop that at large serial rapist or if it's just a family member coming home late, getting a drink, etc.

2) Even the brightest sights are still difficult to see. They aren't bright enough to make out well unless you're aiming into darkness, and then are difficult to align since there is no other reference beside 3 floating points. A weapon light, or just holding a flashlight, will be much more effective for aiming, as you have an illuminated background. Also the flashlight lets you ID the target which is quite important as noted above.

These are my thoughs. That and if someone is charging you in a sd situation from say, 15 feet or less, good luck trying to even get a sight picture. Not worth the money IMO, but that's just me and YMMV. I'm not against others getting them.

Night sights make it easy to see your gun in the dark sitting on your night stand. Other then that I see no real purpose, even though they are on almost everything I own. In the dark you just point and shoot,very little time to focus on sights. It all comes down to situation you are in at the time. A black rear fixed u notch sight and a gold or brass bead front is the best set up in my opinion.

Thats why most people uses NS with a weapons light/flash light. Ever try to get a sight picture in low light/night situations just with the flashlight it's self and no night sight? It is a little difficult. I find it much easier aquiring the sight picture with the NS. The NS on my old glock and the trijicon on my H&K is plenty bright and pretty easy to see.

These are my thoughs. That and if someone is charging you in a sd situation from say, 15 feet or less, good luck trying to even get a sight picture. Not worth the money IMO, but that's just me and YMMV. I'm not against others getting them.

If my gun is drawn and I have in the chest ready position, I can aquire a sight picture and hit my target in .72 seconds if the target is 15ft away. My buddy who is an instructor at MOFTA can do that and hit 3 targets in like .98 seconds. It just takes practice and getting it in to your muscle memory.

If my gun is drawn...

Right here you already went opposite of what I was saying. If you're out at night and someone is just walking past and turns to attack, best of luck with drawing and getting a sight picture. If someone sneaks into a house, best of luck to someone in a dead sleep waking up, grabbing their magical night sights and torch, and getting a good sight picture.

Also the VAST majority of CCers do NOT know chest ready or how to properly clear a room/building. Good luck to them going NYPD Blue through their house. That pistol will become mine (the attackers and no I'm not hardcore "oh I can beat all of you up and stealz yur gunz", but you get my point).

I love my MP9C. I had the Supertuck and loved it. I lent it to my brother and somehow he lost it or can't find it now. I really don't like to carry without the Crossbreed anymore, I'm going to have to make him order me a new one.

Right here you already went opposite of what I was saying. If you're out at night and someone is just walking past and turns to attack, best of luck with drawing and getting a sight picture. If someone sneaks into a house, best of luck to someone in a dead sleep waking up, grabbing their magical night sights and torch, and getting a good sight picture.

You never said the gun was holstered... lol, but I know what you mean. I am just trying to make a point that NS does help in getting in a sight picture in low light situations. It is also makes a good reference point on where the gun is aimed if you need to shoot before getting a sight picture. This is what I think, even if it helps in limited situations 100 bucks is worth it to me. It could mean life or death, especially in a gun fight.

Also the VAST majority of CCers do NOT know chest ready or how to properly clear a room/building. Good luck to them going NYPD Blue through their house. That pistol will become mine (the attackers and no I'm not hardcore "oh I can beat all of you up and stealz yur gunz", but you get my point).

You are right though. That's why i really recommand people take advanced classes on handgun defense after they received their CCW. I have taken Handgun Defense 1 & 2 at MOFTA. It is well worth the money. I am eventually going to take all 6 courses.

You never said the gun was holstered... lol, but I know what you mean. I am just trying to make a point that NS does help in getting in a sight picture in low light situations. It is also makes a good reference point on where the gun is aimed if you need to shoot before getting a sight picture. This is what I think, even if it helps in limited situations 100 bucks is worth it to me. It could mean life or death, especially in a gun fight.

I see your point. My theory is, if it's too dark to see my sights it's too dark to identify my target and I'm not going to put my finger on the trigger until I know exactly who or what my muzzle is pointed at.

You are right though. That's why i really recommand people take advanced classes on handgun defense after they received their CCW. I have taken Handgun Defense 1 & 2 at MOFTA. It is well worth the money. I am eventually going to take all 6 courses.

I've also gone up through level 2 at another institution. Highly recommend courses such as these.

Or especially if it's an EDC.

OP - Have you looked at the Trijicon HD Sights versus the ones you installed? I'm looking to upgrade on my M&Pc as well. Any height difference versus OE?

As well, I have the Crossbreed holster and I absolutely love it. When mounted properly (I have mine at 4 o'clock) and a proper belt you can't feel it at all, it's super comfy...I can wear it all day.

I also have a Raven Phantom holster as well of OC. If you're going to carry, IMO you need a properly molded holster (whether that be leather or kydex)

The AmeriGlo brand was the only brand that vances sold. From what little googling i did, they was all around the same price. Not sure of any height difference though, but seems the same as originals.

Crossbreed said it would take 4-6wks to arrive, so thatll give me time to get a nice belt for it. I hear that makes a world of difference so well have to see. Im happy to hear that someone here thinks its comfy, thats reassuring.

1-In my house at night, i know my sons in his crib, and my wife is by my side, so anyone else in my house doesnt really need to be identified. Besides that, theres enough ambient light to be able to make out a target.

2-I dont find my NS difficult to see in low light situations either. Also i dont find the 3 green dots difficult to align, regardless though, nothing practice wont perfect. The down fall with a weapon mounted light, is i cant concealed carry it, hence the night sights being a better option. As far as at home goes, i will likely pick up a light for around the house, but at the same time, a white light gives away your position.

I understand your points. I guess a lot of it is preference, and I see night sights as more being a "cool" mod than as a practical one, given the price and benefit.

I agree with training being above all the most important. With enough practice I've found my reflex aiming is pretty close to being on with the sights. By reflex aiming, I mean grabbing the pistol and pointing it immediately, or even better from a low ready position. I think adequate enough for CoM hits, within inside of house distances - which my point is, with enough practice you won't need to acquire a sight picture - so again NS are of limited use.

Again up to preference. If someone prefers NSs then they should use what they think is best.