A "Ghost Tour" conducted by a non-believer: Saturday 11/3 after Track Day

Doc1647545523

I'll help lead a group of CR friends through Blue Limestone Park in Delaware before dusk on Saturday, November 3rd, then will conduct a tour of Austin Manor, which is adjacent to the Park.

This won't be a haunted house or anything of the like. I'm pretty skeptical of the "paranormal," but I will relate two true stories that some people find quite mysterious, even spine-chilling.

This event will be later in the day of Late Fall Trackday at Dragway 42 (which shuts down at 2:00 p.m.), here's the schedule:

5:30 p.m. meet at the entrance of Blue Limestone Park in Delaware, Ohio

6:30-6:45 p.m. walk to Austin Manor for mulled cider, restroom break, brief talk by Doc about history of Austin Manor, conducted tour

8:30 p.m late supper (as my guests) at Hamburger Inn in Delaware (less than one mile away) for any survivors (of my talk) :p

UPDATE & PARKING DIRECTIONS

Considering the response, I'd suggest parking along the street, near the corner of Elizabeth Street and Winter Street. It shouldn't be hard to spot our group, which will form on the sidewalk in front of Sanborn Hall on Elizabeth Street across from the Delaware Arts Castle at 5:30. We'll be just a few steps away from the entrance to Blue Limestone Park.

The Blue Limestone part of the evening will have two options: Option #1 is a conducted tour of the front of the park, accompanied by me, on pavement and grass, ending at the edge of the Graffiti Bridge. Option #2 is self-guided (I'll give you good directions) along a wooded path with low overhangs, muddy and wet trails, leading under the Graffiti Bridge, across a creek, and back into the "hidden quarry."

At dusk (around 6:30), we'll meet up at the cars and go as a group up the hill to Austin Manor. If you arrive late to the event or if you want to skip the park portion, please meet at the corner of Elizabeth & Winter Streets at 6:30 p.m. Do not attempt to enter Austin Manor on your own. Doing so will cause us all problems!

The basement of Austin Manor is quite dusty and dirty. I suggest jeans, old shirt or sweatshirt, and shoes or boots you don't mind getting dirty. I'd bring a flashlight. Beware broken glass and sharp metal edges. Cameras and video equipment are okay, but please don't photograph building residents.

More info from the previous thread

Blue Limestone Park generates all sorts of interest. Read more about it here: http://www.forgottenoh.com/Limestone/bluelimestone.html

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/21268427.jpg

There is a place back behind the quarries the locals call Graffiti Bridge which takes the Delaware Run under the railroad bed. The local cops are always running Wiccans out of there who use the place for rituals, apparently. There are pentagrams here and there.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/bl-tunnel1.jpg

I enjoy strolling through the park for an evening cigar. There is a plank deck which juts out into the water of the first quarry.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/BLP4.jpg

The quarry is always murky and seethes with organic smells. Peaceful.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/face_2.jpg

For the last 24 years I've lived at Austin Manor, on Ohio Wesleyan's campus. There have been many unexplained things connected with this building. On May 4, 1937 there was a disappearance (believed death) of a coed (Ruth Baumgardner) from this building. It made national news at the time and remains unsolved. My great niece lives in Ruth's old room. A tunnel in the basement of where I live has been implicated in the disappearance, but was sealed off twenty years ago by a friend of mine (I helped move the cinder blocks and watched him do the work). Here's a pic of the wall he erected:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/DSC0143320Large-1.jpg

The Central Ohio Paranormal Society has an online report on this place:

http://www.centralohioparanormal.net/austinmanor.htm

"COPS recently investigated the basement of Austin Manor, on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University. Reports of apparitions, feelings of being watched, and strange noises have come from students, staff members, and tenants for quite a few years. The basement of this building is very large, and has alot of long hallways, dark corridors, defunct dorm rooms, and an old run down, non-working kitchen area. After about four hours of investigating, with remote video and audio gear, we did manage to capture one EVP in the run down kitchen area. As far as it being haunted, we can't really say. Alot of the reports are probably due to being in such an old, historic building. It does have a certain odd feeling to it though."

Just having this in your basement would be enough to keep some people on edge. It says "Lose hope, all ye that enter here" and was written by a student in the early 1970's. In person, it has a sorta Blair Witch Project feel to it:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/normal_DSC01468_Large.jpg

John Ciochetty, an old friend of mine, wrote a book about hauntings in this area The Ghosts of Stuyvesant Hall and Beyond, and Austin Hall gets a section devoted to it.

CR members who visit me usually comment on the staircase that appears to go nowhere:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/normal_DSC01447_Large.jpg

I live in the old Dean's quarters. While replacing flooring I discovered a trap door to the basement. There are some very strange features in this building: tunnels, strange passageways, staircases that go straight into the ceiling, sealed rooms, and the like. Although my own suite is not going to be open to tour, you can peek in, if you want.

Please post to the thread if you plan to attend so that I can better manage logistics.

Edited by Doc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 90% committed to come. At this point I've got nothing going on, but I've been so busy lately I'm starting to go into hermit mode and I don't like committing to anything when I'm in this mood. I really want to come check these places out so I will very likely be there. :megusta:

Sounds interesting. I've done quit4 a bit of fishing and hiking in the evenings in the lesser seen back portion (through the train tunnel) of the park. Last time I went for a little hike and came within 10ft of some teenagers. Never even knew I was there...:ninja: lol

Anyway, be nice to learn more about the area.

I gotta talk to the wife, we talked about doing our daughter's bday party on that date, but I'm interested and if we dont have her bday party then I'm all about it. I'm sure at least my older daughter will want to go if I do, but I don't know about my wife.

.......I'm starting to go into hermit mode and I don't like committing to anything when I'm in this mood....

Not a problem. No firm commitment, but there'll be a hot cider saved for you, should you decide you can come. :)

Can my wife come if she feels up to it? Idea of the total walking distance ?

Of course she's welcome. Including Blue Limestone Park, I'd say about a mile. Cut out the Park section of the evening, and there would be a 50 yard walk up a gentle hill, then sitting in the lobby, then fifteen-thirty minutes of strolling through the building. We can use the elevators if stairs are hard for her.

I don't recommend the Blue Limestone Park section for children under ten. We need to cross a creek or else go through some moderate brush. Either way, not a place for a small child at dusk.

Sounds interesting. I've done quit4 a bit of fishing and hiking in the evenings in the lesser seen back portion (through the train tunnel) of the park. Last time I went for a little hike and came within 10ft of some teenagers. Never even knew I was there...:ninja: lol

Anyway, be nice to learn more about the area.

It would be great if you would lead that part of the tour, Christian. Do you cross the creek right at the bridge, using the stones from the rubble, or do you follow the north edge of the creek back from Elizabeth Street? I'm trying to figure the way least likely to get people wet/muddy. If the creek's high that day, the regular tour may need to end at the bridge.

Anything paranormal I absolutely cannot handle.

The plan is this, little buddy. We're kidnapping you and staking you down back by the Wiccan altar and then will come back Sunday morning to see how the evening went for you. Wagner's agreed to do the photography for the event. It'll be fun! :no:

Very interesting write up! I would be interested in attending if I knew my work schedule for that day currently. Even more so if I could find a somewhat attractive female date for the occasion that is near my age who would find it as interesting as me. But the odds of that are well below 1%. If I do end up deciding on coming and if I am able to get the allotted time off of work I would be glad to come along. I won't really know anyone attending and I'm assuming I'll be the youngest in the crowd...but if it involves history even in the slightest form I'm for the ride :D

damn i would love to attend this but i will bein chicago for a wedding. I have been back to that bridge you are talking about at blue lime, we were creeped out one night by i believe a homeless man who was staying back there. we would go back there and then climb up and "hangout"

You seem to be a very interesting dude doc.....are you like a superhero at night? Do they flash a symbol in the sky to call you?

It appears that my secret identity is about to be compromised :fuuuu:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/FatMan.jpg