Zinc additive recommendations?

zeitgeist57

Cleetus - my 1982 Ford F100 truck with a worked-over 300ci inline-6 - requires ZDDP additive in the oil per Mike at M&M's orders after he rebuilt it with a Comp Cam. Any recommendations?

Just curious. Mike recommended regular 10w30 oil...I'd be happy to run synthetic, even with the added expense of the zinc, if it will help with performance and longevity for the engine. Thanks!

Pretty sure the zddp levels of Rotella are plenty high, and perfectly suitable for a flat-tappet engine like yours.

I would do a little poking around on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums, instead of here.

I thought zddp got phased-out of most diesel oils??

I just use synthetic oil + a (blue) bottle of STP Oil Additive, its more or less a straight shot of pure zddp (well not really, but you get the point)

What's wrong with Rotella T?

I thought zddp got phased-out of most diesel oils??

I just use synthetic oil + a (blue) bottle of STP Oil Additive, its more or less a straight shot of pure zddp (well not really, but you get the point)

It did get phased out but you can still get zinc additives. My engine builder sent me small tubes of it for intial engine break-in.

This is correct, diesel oils have even less zinc than regular auto oil now.

As far as additive, we ad a half pint of GM EOS with each oil change.

We also run a oil that's already decently high in Zinc. Lubriplate Super GPO

I use the standard break in addititives that are available at most parts stores. Look for the disclaimer "for offroad use only" I use about a half a bottle in all of my vehicles. And a full bottle along with Rotella in my race car.

phuck the EPA

Thanks, Ray...for ease of purchase, does anyone know if Wal*Mart sells break-in additive? I say that only because I purchased my Rotella there in the past...

Thanks to all for contributing. I'll stop on Bethel Rd. (Advance/Wal*Mart) tonight for supplies.

• 2 weeks later...
we have the lube guard additive and the rislone additive at any Oreilly. also look into the Valvoline race oils they already have the zinc in them I stock those at my store up to 60w.

Race oil is designed to be changed every weekend or every other weekend. It does not have the detergents in it that a normal oil does and it's additives break down much quicker.