Bravada fuel gauge?

wnaplay1647545503

2002 olds bravada Vortec I6

Driving today and my fuel light comes on as I pull in the driveway. Go out to pick something up and forgot my wallet so I put the $11 cash I have on me towards gas and the gauge rises as I expect it would. Get home and get ready to go back out again and the car cranks alot longer than usual but finally starts(weird never done this). I go straight to the gas station to fill the rest of the tank up and it is completely full wont hold a drop and pours gas out everywhere. I put the key in to check my gauge and its reading 1/4 tank. Could something be preventing the fuel from going down, would the gauge be bad?

Thats what I was thinking. I figured I was running low and everything seemed right. Filled up last week before heading to lucasville to pick something up. Get home and top it back off and have driven it as usual, just figured it was time to refill. Would having the tank completely full including the fill tube cause any starting issue or prolonged cranking?

Bad fuel level sensors are pretty common on Trailblazers, Envoys, Bravadas, ect.

The long crank thing may or may not be related, could always be a poor connection on the tank, but iirc I've repaired a few loose grounds on a few of those trucks as well. Honestly its much easier for me to remember when I'm looking at it, but I think the ground is near the front of the leaf spring and I've seen them corroded off. Anyway you can always look for loose wires around that section of frame.

The only way to verify the long crank would be to have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up when it happens to see if its a fuel pressure thing.

Some fuel tank are pretty bad about leaking around where the fill tube connects, some of those trucks may have been involved in the TSBs can't remember. It goes in at the back of the tank and shouldn't be hard to see looking underneath just to check, but I thought you said the fuel gauge wasn't working right?

I assume the gauge was working right. I assumed I was empty, I put in $11 and it jumped to the point I assume $11 would. My logic mught be flawed if I can find any other reasonable answer for what if anything could prevent the gas from going down or at least cause the fuel to enter the tank slower than expected. I expected and assumed I was low, having more gas in there or enough to fill the entire tank and neck doesnt sound right. I just dont think there could be that much in there based on my last fill up and subsequant driving.