Motor for my truck, which LSX?

John Bruh

I bought my c10 with the intentions of putting a 4bt cummins motor in it. Well they are damn near impossible to find, and the people that have them want a small fortune for them ($3,500+).

So im debating on going to a LSX.

I want something that is going to be reliable. I don't want to run a turbo, and no nitrous. I've been debating on either the 4.8 or the 5.3 truck motors. The 4.8's are less money (less hp too).

I just want the truck to sound mean. Something like a TSP224 cam.

What route would you go? And why?

A 4.8 is a POS, basically it's a short stroked 5.3 that makes no power and gets horrible gas mileage. People prefer the 4.3 V6 to the 4.8.

The 5.3 is a great all around truck motor, and for a few bucks more there is the 6.0L that can be had pretty reasonable and runs even better. LQ4 6.0 are slightly lower compression then the LQ9 but perform great. 5.3s have lots of LPO codes but are all pretty similar just keep in mind that the older versions with 24 tooth reluctor wheels on the crank are going be much cheaper to get a PCM and related stuff set-up for since these can easily be set-up with a cable driven throttle body, ect.

Any specific questions feel free to ask, I like talking about this shit.

A 4.8 is a POS, basically it's a short stroked 5.3 that makes no power and gets horrible gas mileage. People prefer the 4.3 V6 to the 4.8.

The 5.3 is a great all around truck motor, and for a few bucks more there is the 6.0L that can be had pretty reasonable and runs even better. LQ4 6.0 are slightly lower compression then the LQ9 but perform great. 5.3s have lots of LPO codes but are all pretty similar just keep in mind that the older versions with 24 tooth reluctor wheels on the crank are going be much cheaper to get a PCM and related stuff set-up for since these can easily be set-up with a cable driven throttle body, ect.

Any specific questions feel free to ask, I like talking about this shit.

I've heard people getting better mpg with the 4.8L and people liking them more because the iron block? Maybe it's only for boosted applications.

I'm leaning more towards the 5.3L anyways. Which year/series motor is the best? Or easiest/cheapest to swap?

I've heard people getting better mpg with the 4.8L and people liking them more because the iron block? Maybe it's only for boosted applications.

I'm leaning more towards the 5.3L anyways. Which year/series motor is the best? Or easiest/cheapest to swap?

The typical LPO number is LM7, they came in 99 and up Silverados, vans, and SUVs, they are pretty much the same until 08. If it has the older 411 PCM thats what you want, its the PCm that runs Vettes, F-bodies, and trucks, super common, cheap and flexible. That is what I'd look for, these engines will have teh cam sensor on the top back of the block behind the intake, knock sensors under the intake, and a 24 tooth reluctor ring on the crank. This is what I'd look for.

I bought my c10 with the intentions of putting a 4bt cummins motor in it. Well they are damn near impossible to find, and the people that have them want a small fortune for them ($3,500+).

Better jump on this one then:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/3373168904.html (Asking $1500 and it's a -A motor with the intercooler)

Not sure what it made N/A but there is a mustang on youtube with a 5.3 and ms3 that sounded pretty cool untuned and then there are some followup vids of it making some 10sec passes with some spray once tuned...

just a thought would be cheap and sound wicked. Ive got a nitrous setup with jets for 150 for sale...