Anyone know anything about infrared heaters?

Buck531

I posted this up last year but really didn't get a response. New blood on here since then. Maybe someone can help me out.

Last year I got this Perfection Schwank Infrared 50k btu natual gas heater for the garage. It has never worked right (got it off CL.. go figure).

What happens is that when I turn it on, it ignites, flame comes across and it's fine.. for almost exactly 2 minutes. Then it shuts off. I have to wait several hours before turning it on again.

I got in touch with Rick over at Texas Infrared who has helped me and he's even stumped. I replaced the ignitor/temp sensor and the ignition control box.

Still same thing. I'm not running it off a thermostat.. just a switch that just turns it off and on. If anyone can point me in the right direction and/or come over that knows something about these that would be terrific.

What model is it? Some have a CO detector that shuts them off, if there is not proper venting that will trip. Spiders like to clog up the small lines the gas goes through during the summer, take them all off and clean them out. Will it keep running if you push the pilot button down and hold it? Does the pilot go out with the rest of the gas? They are usually simple. The regulator could also be bad.

It was like this last year as well. Same thing. Where would the CO detector be on it? I may have thrown out the paper that had the model. I think it was something like 70-N

it looks almost identical to this. Actually it's the same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/schwank-natural-gas-propane-radiant-heater-150-000-btu-NEW-/130787700816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e738df050

There is no pilot. It's ran by spark ignition. I can keep it sparking but it'll shut off in 6 seconds (shut off delay).

Natural gas?

Where is the line fed from? What

Size? Wonder if it's starving.

Natural gas.

Feed is.. coming from underground somewhere lol. Previous owner way back in the day ran it. I think it's a 3/4" pipe? I have black pipe ran up to a flexible tube.

I'll go in the garage and take a vid real quick on my phone.

Could have a pinhole in the line in the ground allowing water in which restricts the line....it'll be fine initially then it runs out of volume. I've seen this happen more than once.

This isn't the only heater I've had on this hose. For the past oh I dunno 10 years I had a forced heater that ran perfect on it. I got rid of it (dumbass) because I thought I could run a smaller radiant heat one. I ran a cheap comfort glow and that ran perfect but wasn't enough. Then I got this one. I don't think it's a problem with the line rather than an issue with the heater.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Garage%20Heater/CAM00228.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Garage%20Heater/CAM00225.jpg

Just tossing out possibilities from my actual field experience. I wish I was closer I'd come over and look at it.

Ya.. I appreciate it. Know anyone around here that does this stuff and won't charge an arm and a leg?

My other option (and I might want to do this) is to dump this heater and get one I saw on CL the other day for $100. mini furnace. Natural gas. Has a blower/fan on it so it might heat up my garage faster. The one I had before rocked I should have never sold it :(

A forced air furnace is ALWAYS the way to go IMO.

I know :(. I got this one for cheap on CL .. hoping it worked.. but it hasn't :(. I spent $50 on a new control box and $20 on the new sensors.. that didn't do shit. I doubt fixing this would take much but I just want some heat in the f'n garage.