USGP - Austin, TX - Circuit of the Americas (COTA) Nov. 15-19

bmwohio

I am headed there with my dad and brother and a couple of other friends. This will be my 10th F1 Race (7 USGP's @ Indy, 2 Canadian GP's @ Montreal)

I fly into San Antonio on Thursday, Nov. 15, where we are renting a car for the weekend (it's only an hour drive and airline tickets were much cheaper) and fly back on the 19th. We will be there for all practice sessions, quali, and the race. We will be at T11 (hairpin) for the race. Not sure about practice's and quali.

Track map:

http://www.racintoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/COTA-map.png

I can't wait to see this new track, but am a little worried about the logistics of getting to and from the track. To park at the track is around $800, or else you have to be shuttled in....hopefully it's not a clusterfuck.

Stay tuned to this thread for pics through the weekend. I'll do my best to upload through my smartphone 'on the fly' as long as cell service allows in such tight quarters

Anyone else? Sound off if you're headed to the race!

Tickets!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/304496_4418130185183_422191102_n.jpg

First laps in an F1 car:

I won't be there, but god does that track look like fun. The map doesn't show the elevation changes either. Turn 1 is going to be awesome. I expect to see a few cars going straight off it during P1. The crest of the hill is a little before the turn, so the car is unweighted during some of its braking. But the track is also REALLY wide in the hairpins. So hopefully there will be plenty of late-braking passes. Turns 3-8 look like so much fun. A little reminicent of Suzuka. And the 15-19 sequence has shades of Spa's 4-apex turn as well. I have really high hopes. I hope there are 2 DRS zones as well.

I think COTA has the potential to be one of the top 5 favorite tracks of the drivers.

we bailed long ago on plans because we also felt it was going to be a cluster getting into and out of the track, once Schumacher announced his retirement (again) I really really wanted to try to find a way to go but it's just too much bloody money for a man trip and the wife has zero interest in going.

Totally jealous you get to go, even with the cluster it's still going to be an amazing experience.

we bailed long ago on plans because we also felt it was going to be a cluster getting into and out of the track, once Schumacher announced his retirement (again) I really really wanted to try to find a way to go but it's just too much bloody money for a man trip and the wife has zero interest in going.

Totally jealous you get to go, even with the cluster it's still going to be an amazing experience.

This.

I decided to just fly to CT to watch the race with my dad. We went to every USGP together since 2001 and even one at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve during the off years. Couldn't justify the cost and crazy logistics of it this time around. A family friend is going to his brother's house 4 miles from the track and they're just going to ride bicycles from his house instead of waiting on car traffic. Brilliant if you ask me.