NASCAR at Midohio

Gergwheel1647545492

They'll be running pro course right? 1:30-ish would be my complete SWAG

I'm guessing pro course also. Mid Ohio is tough to pass at and they'll need to run the pro course for that extra deep braking zone.

I was thinking just a tad slower. The Nationwide cars don't have the power of the Cup cars but still have the extreme heft. My three beer deep guess is 1:33.56 will get the pole.

Turn 1 at mid ohio is a left hander, pal

+1

true.....but he could have meant just the first turn, as in, the first turn after the green flag....which technically is T4 (China Beach) which is a right hander :gabe:

Who wants to wager on expected lap times?

We were having this discussion on Facebook about laptimes

DP = 1:19's GT = 1:24's GS = 1:32's ST = 1:37's NASCAR = ???

Will be cool to watch NASCAR race on such a technical track.....

I was thinking just a tad slower. The Nationwide cars don't have the power of the Cup cars but still have the extreme heft. My three beer deep guess is 1:33.56 will get the pole.

Yeah I was trying to think in my head about a heavy car that still made 800hp and runs slicks. How much power do the nationwide cars make? Either way it'll be entertaining to watch and sound good.

As for the turn one being a right handed comment Rich, usually with big fields and rolling starts they give them the green flag on the back straight. I'm guessing that's what the poster was referring to.

I"ll totally be there to watch, NASCAR is my secrect redneck obsession in life.

You guys don't give the good old boys enough credit. Yes there are some in the Nationwide series that are completely out of their element but that's where the road course ringers come in.

I'm thinking pole will be in the :27-28 range. Qualifying at the Glen last year Nationwide series cars were about a dead heat with grand-am GT cars. GT cars qualified in the :25's last year at Mid Ohio. Glen is more of a HP track than Mid Ohio though so I'm docking 2-3 seconds on the back side of the track where the heft will outweigh the power advantage for the NNS cars.

If NASCAR ran more road courses (and the cars were symmetrical *shudder*) I'd enjoy watching it more. "American V8 Supercars" anyone? If COTA is as well designed as they are saying it is, NASCAR should run there. Supposedly every stand can see 80%-90% of the track (not so sure about that infield stand though) and the back straight is 3/4mi long so drafting will still be an essential skill to have. That should appeal to NASCAR fans.

But yeah, I think if NASCAR's series were more like Aussie V8s, I'd find it much more entertaining and would likely watch it.

As for the turn one being a right handed comment Rich, usually with big fields and rolling starts they give them the green flag on the back straight. I'm guessing that's what the poster was referring to.

Nope I'm just a dumb-ass and was thinking off of the top of my head that the first turn was the keyhole without actually looking at the course layout. Of course the fact that I haven't been to mid Ohio in over 20 years and even when I did go we sat on the back observation mound after the last pedestrian bridge which I think was the Budweiser bridge at the time doesn't help a thing. But regardless this should be a good time.