Plow like a bauce

EssFo

Water, sometimes with salt added to increase the density, makes the back end heavier to counterbalance a bucket up front and give better traction when pulling equipment.

Cast iron wheel weights FTW.

http://www.chatstractors.com/2005_allis/051191_wd45_left_tire.jpg

Ive heard liquid filled but not water. As it will freeze in winter. I've heard coolant.

To be honest all I know is they're liquid filled. Def not water b/c we do use them to plow and yes, straight water would obviously freeze. I'll have to ask dad when I see him.

Water, sometimes with salt added to increase the density, makes the back end heavier to counterbalance a bucket up front and give better traction when pulling equipment.

Interesting. I grew up around farming and didn't know this. If that was the case with the tractor in this vid, I wonder how much faster it would be with just air.

Tractor tires are filled with Calcium Chloride. It weighs more then water and will not freeze. Tires are filled to about 75% and the rest is air. Weights can also be added for additional traction. The problem arises when the ground is too wet to take the tractors out, aka right now. The ground is too wet for tractors with this additional weight at the moment, but it is too costly and time consuming to remove the fluid, so expect to see the corn standing tall in the fields until it either dries up for a week or the ground freezes in December.

At Marysville where I teach, the agriculture department had a kid cut or bend a valve stem and the Calcium Chloride started to leak out. What a mess to fix that.

They foam fill them as well. We'd get skid steer tires foam filled to save on plugging them all the damn time. That high density foam was heavy as shit and a mother fucker to get apart when you actually needed to change out the tires. Each tire weighed close to 300lb when filled, and it took at least 2 guys, 2 pry bars, and a stout sawzall to get them off the wheel.