Monica Durban is still trying to pass this street racing bill

Cordell

What shame for us real street racers. I never understood why someone would want to fly around 270 and see who could make it around the fastest! Its to dangerous!

If you must and feel the need to street race. Take it somewhere far away from any traffic! There is so many untraveled county roads. Why on a major highway? Be smart about it stupid!

I want to add that i understand both sides, But i do not support this law. To many variables.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see vengeance here, I see someone now personally motivated to change a system that want strict enough to curb the behavior that as a result impacted her deeply.

In my opinion they are strict enough as is. What do you feel isn't very strict about them? Not trying to be a dick about it, but I'd like to think 6 points, a no privilege suspension and high risk insurance is enough deterrent. For me it was enough to keep me form ever getting anything close to being in that situation, not trying to brag, but I'd like to think I'm able to make a bit wiser decisions than my counterparts.

When I explained my side of the story to my lawyer, and he told me the code word for word, and then told me the potential consequences, I nearly shit myself, and I'm not being sarcastic.

If anything I think she should go after the police equally for not patrolling the streets well enough to stop them. Just like when a LEO told me after I had to file a report for slashed tires in a not so nice area of town in Dayton. "Well if you didn't want anything to happen to your stuff, then why were you down here?" It was still partially my fault, but I believe it's even more of a fault and shame on the officers for knowing they have an issue, but still don't seem to care.

I would have more respect for her if she pushed better enforcement of it, rather than stiffer consequences. They somewhat did the same thing with DUI/OVI If I understand correctly.

In my opinion they are strict enough as is. What do you feel isn't very strict about them? Not trying to be a dick about it, but I'd like to think 6 points, a no privilege suspension and high risk insurance is enough deterrent.

what makes me think that is on this board alone we have countless first hand examples of where there is no fear of said consequences and thus the behaviors continue. again, facts. Look around here weekly and notice the trend in posts and videos put out there. many are still taking risks. take away their cars and threaten them with a much bigger punishment, including your fears of perhaps rogue officers and look how quickly this thread has grown. In 2009 the same topic drew 11 pages.

For me it was enough to keep me form ever getting anything close to being in that situation, not trying to brag, but I'd like to think I'm able to make a bit wiser decisions than my counterparts.

in my world too. I never knew nor cared first hand what would happen with a 95mph in a 55mph ticket until I faced it. True or not, the good that came from it was an eye opening experience for me. However, as you noted, the two of us are still not enough.

If anything I think she should go after the police equally for not patrolling the streets well enough to stop them. Just like when a LEO told me after I had to file a report for slashed tires in a not so nice area of town in Dayton. "Well if you didn't want anything to happen to your stuff, then why were you down here?" It was still partially my fault, but I believe it's even more of a fault and shame on the officers for knowing they have an issue, but still don't seem to care.

IMO you don't go after the cops for the behaviors of others. There will never be enough cops on patrol to make a difference. Even on heavily patrolled days, I can still effectively avoid them and have fun. You have to target the behaviors and those doing it.

I would have more respect for her if she pushed better enforcement of it, rather than stiffer consequences. They somewhat did the same thing with DUI/OVI If I understand correctly.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The facts show both here on the board and in every state that the consequences aren't strong enough to deter the behavior. No need to increase patrols or costs to the entire population to fund the manpower needed when you can instead ratchet up the consequences which have much lower costs to the general public.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The facts show both here on the board and in every state that the consequences aren't strong enough to deter the behavior. No need to increase patrols or costs to the entire population to fund the manpower needed when you can instead ratchet up the consequences which have much lower costs to the general public.

That is the one thing I can agree with you on lol. But we will likely both agree the consequences are severe enough for some to stop doing it. Unfortunately for some it's not.

not only was Staton drag racing moments before the crash, but he was also legally drunk.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2008/07/14/durban_crash.html

Why is it that George being drunk is no longer mentioned in any of this shit? This was a statement from the police recorded by 10tv.

"We can't prove that racing going on is the cause of this particular crash; that they were actually racing when the crash occurred," said Columbus police Sgt. Shelia Wilson. "That's what we need to prove to prosecute anybody else involved in this case."

Not to mention this took place in January, this whole situation is stupid, and in my opinion is so out of context for typical street racing.

So because of this one fact right here^^^ Lee Durbin thinks that the law should allow "alleged street racing" to be called street racing. So basically if it's said you're street racing there is hardly any way to argue if you were or weren't. This law is overstepping on one's rights to fight it.

All that aside I hope nobody gets cited for street racing, because regardless it states automatic impounding of all cars involved.

For example, a first-time street-racing offense, without any injury or death, would result in a $1,000 fine, maximum six-month prison term and a minimum one-year license suspension, and any vehicles involved in the race would be impounded.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2009/may/28/new_law_would_put_the_brakes_on_street_racing-ar-13841/

When do you think they will take your car? This is a perfect example of guilty until proven innocent, and that is why I am against it.

The consequences will NEVER be high enough. People will race because it's such a high risk. Hell, one of the potential consequences is DEATH and people still race. Increased penalties will stop some people from racing, but it'll never end street racing. This law could pass and I'll bet the number of groups that leave HD and come back won't change.

I would be more accepting of this if the lawmakers would take DUIs seriously. Frankly, the way the system is set up, it's perfectly OK to go out and endanger lives far more surely than any street race. Go ahead, get pissed-ass drunk and hop in your car. If you get pulled over, just refuse the breathalyzer and claim you're just tired. You'll get off scott free, able to endanger the lives of people again.

Unfortuantely, there just isn't a solution.

Tim, I can see some of your points of view, and agree for the most part. However you said even on heavily patroled days you can still avoid the cops and still have fun... there are others out there, even with these new laws in place, that will think the exact same thing. I can see where it would be a deterrant, but I can see a good percentage of those who do street race ignoring the stiffer consequences. Personally I think there should be a program for anyone caught street racing where they have to either watch a (graphic) video of what can result from street racing (i.e. car accident victems), or have to witness it first hand (go to the hospital and see accident victems). Maybe that would be more effective as a deterrant.

Given that there are three pages in this thread, I am going to assume without reading that someone is debating whether or not there should be a statuate against street racing.

If you are arguing that the penalties should not be so severe, or that there shouldn't be any specific crime of "street racing" at all, then I am going to send my big friend Tommy over to your house to hit you on the head with a tackhammer because you are a retard.

Otherwise, carry on.

Given that there are three pages in this thread, I am going to assume without reading that someone is debating whether or not there should be a statuate against street racing.

If you are arguing that the penalties should not be so severe, or that there shouldn't be any specific crime of "street racing" at all, then I am going to send my big friend Tommy over to your house to hit you on the head with a tackhammer because you are a retard.

Otherwise, carry on.

Bitch please..... I remember one time....

Otherwise, carry on.

No I'm pointing out the fact that what they can call street racing would be too broad in the terms of this proposed law.

I found the propsed law if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=129_HB_272

"street racing" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds.

After reading some points of this bill the wording is much different then the previous bills they tried to pass. The above desciption was not how the previous version was written at all.

I still think more should be done about drunk driving, but as stated earlier that is a revenue stream and becomes much more complex then street racing.

Otherwise, carry on.

Nitrous...galant...boom.

-Marc

Bitch please..... I remember one time....

Oh yeah, I was there for it as well...

And if I had been busted for "Street Racing", I would have gotten me a good lawyer and fought that shit, but I know what the truth would have been. I'm saying that if you choose to engage in the activity, accept the risk that the law may bend you over.

you say dumb but when the people that are held to a higher standard cant even follow the laws they enforce why should they crack down on citizens first

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's probably very few instances of cops street racing in their cruisers.

Abusing blue&reds to go through stoplights? Sure. General speeding? Sure. However, even when they're speeding it's a different scenario.

Again, I'm generalizing but I feel its pretty accurate to say that I don't see cops speeding, swerving through traffic, and really pushing the limits of control in their cruisers while not responding to an incident.

Another small but somewhat important distinction is that police DO have closed tracks, controlled environments where they can regularly push the limits of control and get a feel for the capabilities of their cars. They have access to these facilities in all weather conditions, and IMO I would say it's safe to assert that a randomly picked cop would exhibit better car control in a random environment than a randomly picked person who engages in reckless driving or "street racing". It won't always be true, but because we hold them to a higher standard, we generally give them the resources to make sure they're prepared to stand up to that standard.

EDIT: Of course, I am not forgetting the recent incident of 2 cops meeting at a perpendicular intersection. I think one is still in the hospital, but I'm pretty sure one of them wasn't using his lights.

Tim, I can see some of your points of view, and agree for the most part. However you said even on heavily patroled days you can still avoid the cops and still have fun... there are others out there, even with these new laws in place, that will think the exact same thing.

that's a fact regarding any law or punishment. However, in the case of this law, go ahead and do it, get caught and try doing it again....kinda difficult when your car is gone, you're likely left in the bag dealing with payments still and your driving record sucks, insurance get's jacked up, etc. Taking the cars involved solves 99% of the bullshit and believe me, if it happens to one guy on CR, others will talk a bit game but I bet it shuts down the street racing issues much more than you might think.

I can see where it would be a deterrant, but I can see a good percentage of those who do street race ignoring the stiffer consequences.

Again, kinda hard to ignore when you're new ride is a huffy bicycle.

I get passed by cops doing well over the posted sped limit. Maybe they should crack down on them and give them tickets for "street racing".

there's a slight difference between a LEO going 80-85mph while in a cruiser and two kids doing 60-160mph rolls on 270 in 10yr old modified mullet mobiles.

The funny thing is had this garbage been law at the time of her accident it wouldn't have changed a thing. George was still dead so he couldn't have been prosecuted and the cops were quoted as saying they couldn't prove there was racing going on.

bottom line we all know they what was really happening in that situation though. roll back time and I bet George and his family would rather give up his car than give up what he did.

I was refering to those whos cars haven't been taken yet (first time caught). Besides, to some with deep pockets (read mommy and daddy), they would just go get they're cars out of impound and (possibly) not learn any lesson. I believe if it can be proven your racing after you have already been caught once, then the car should be destroyed. Same idea should apply to drunk driving too.