Monica Durban is still trying to pass this street racing bill

Cordell

THIS RIGHT HERE

Everyone it seems is missing the point here. It's not that we are saying street racing shouldn't be legal, and we arent saying it's ok, but it completly to easy for a scumbag cop (which their are plenty of..) to push the line and bullshit his side, just like in my case.

What you are charged with is pretty much always up to the discretion of the LEO. How is this any different when it comes to you being nailed for street racing or you being nailed for speeding or charged with reckless op? All of those have boundaries and room for interpretation. Don't like it, fight it in court. Your encounter with an LEO isn't a trial. Even the case in point the other driver (a member of CR) wasn't found guilty of street racing.

Don't hate on Monica for pushing a bill like this, blame those that put her there and others doing the same or driving like fuck-sticks for forcing the card. Own it man, if you've ever played race-me on the freeway with another car (we all pretty much have) then you're part of the problem.

The law in a nutshell says "two cars side by side taking off from a stop, or a paced count while moving" and goes on further to say a pace car, etc. So how about you are going down the road, two people race, and you are in your modded car when the cop catches up, and they are doing 75-80 right beside you? All the call they got said was multiple vehicles racing, and now they are ticketing you as well? Don't think it's happened? I know 3 people in the Dayton area that have had this EXACT same thing happen.

Rare instance but would you be surprised that it has happened to me too? February 2006, find the post here on CR. I had to fight a reckless op ticket on my way home from the airport because the cop said I was part of a string of other cars racing down the road. I face a 6pt reckless op ticket and thus would have lost my company car. Was I pissed, sure. However a $500 lawyer and 1hr in court and it was a non issue. Sucks that my wife and I and five Ben Franklins got involved, but the same shit happens every day when knuckleheads cost others their deductible for rear ending them. Once the facts are put in place odds are good you will not be held liable for something you were shown to not be doing. There will always be exceptions, nothing is B&W and you can't go around not putting laws in place because of it. I think it's pretty clear given the instances like hers and others that the penalties aren't steep enough to deter the behavior.

-Not saying you don't deserved to be punished if caught, and not saying it isn't dangerous. But I'm simply stating it's too easy to be found "guilty" on a bullshit ticket a cop wrote. The systems aren't kept in check anymore, and unfortunately it seems in society today we are all to willing to give up a bit of freedom for an added sense of "safety."

How are cops not kept in check anymore? What's changed within the legal system to warrant your use of the word "anymore". :confused: Please share. Again, you're not found guilty on the side of the road with three other cars. Each has their day in court.

IIRC you supported Obama and the Democrats.....aka big gov't. You're just getting what you voted for. Ted Celeste has been an asshole Dem for decades, sucked as governor and even tried to push to end the death penalty. He's also supported fucking you and all the middle class with Obamacare. Enjoy what you brought upon yourself this law included. Hell the LEO Unions have to insure their pensions are paid for. Selling off hot rods and expensive cars will go a long way in helping.

Edited by TTQ B4U

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you are sayin'. I had a chic in a Mercedes last night drive up on me at a stop light with her brights on (6pm in the dark on county line Rd) I opened my door and politely asked her to turn off her brights please. She responds "What?" So I ask again very loud. She turns off all her lights then back on and I see her windshield wipers come on. Brights are still on. I leave from the light get over a lane let her pass and watch as oncoming car after oncoming car bright her wanting her to turn off her brights as we drive down county line Rd.

Stupid bitch doesn't know how to turn them off. People who can't operate a car safely shouldn't be on the road.

I love street racing and always will but go to the track, there are many tracks around that offer no time events each month. Milan for example has an awesome NO ET event once a month, and if you have not gone then go. It is the exact same as street racing, stand around for hours and finally someone races at the end of the night. Might spend 200 to 300 to go race there all day but beats a ticket and your car getting impounded. And if you are roll racing still then what the fuck are you doing with your life.

The nitrous thing is some bullshit though, a felony for having it hooked up. Thats just ridiculous, Scott you should call NOS, NX, and all the other nitrous companies letting them know this would impact their business for the state of Ohio. They might want to join the discussion, just a thought.

Everyone here knows police will get you for whatever they want, whenever they want. This bill may pass, they may crack down on people for a while, then the police will stop to care. Back to normal with just the chance of bigger penalties. Big whoop thats life

Edited by OJdidit1738
read the 10tv aritcle had to add more

wasnt he drunk?

I'd like to know why the penalties for this are higher than that of a DUI when drunk driving kills far more people.

These comments have been ignored thus fsr in this thread, besides tim briefly talking about checkpoints.

This is 10x the issue street racing is.

These comments have been ignored thus fsr in this thread, besides tim briefly talking about checkpoints.

This is 10x the issue street racing is.

IMO if you're guilty of DUI you the state should take your vehicle. Can't drive drunk if you don't have a vehicle. Don't like that answer then don't drink and drive.

I'd like to know why the penalties for this are higher than that of a DUI when drunk driving kills far more people.

because someone is actually getting up and doing something about it. perhaps there needs to be another resurgence in support for tougher DUI laws. he guy on rt 23 that was just hit......wife is killed, baby in serious condition, has my vote for a new life mission

Everyone who street races and/or drives recklessly assumes a couple things:

1) That they're a good enough driver that they won't hurt themselves or others.

2) That they will not get caught, and if they do, the penalties are worth the risk of engaging in such an activity.

3) That it is not inherently wrong or bad of them to do this.

I don't street race, but I think I can reasonably assume that any of you guys who do drive fast, recklessly, or do race at least try to mitigate the dangers of your actions. If you don't you're complete idiots. However, even your attempt to mitigate the danger of your actions is in itself an immature attitude, IMO. I'm not saying you should be taken to the gallows for it, or lose your cars, but the kneejerk reaction to increased penalties for dangerous actions reveals a lot about the attitudes here.

It's easy to deflect attention, too. We can look at idiot non-racers and point out how "it's not just people who drive fast that kill! More people are killed by idiots drivers than street racers!" This is also an immature attitude. It makes no attempt to defend the inherently dangerous actions of a reckless speeder or street racer, only to make their actions appear less dangerous by comparison.

At the end of the day, we are all probably better-than-average drivers. However, none of us is better than physics, and while we think we are in control of our environment, the attitude we should have if we are to garner any support for our cause (that this type of legislation is unnecessary), we need to recognize that we are not as in control as we think. No one on this board would be crass enough to think they're better than the best F1, NASCAR, or rally drivers in the world, and those guys still crash when they push the limits of control in a controlled environment. To think you're in control while driving riskily in an uncontrolled public environment is not only arrogant, it's foolish.

Try to think from her "sob story" point of view. Her life has been set back immeasurably by someone who, prior to many of the facts of the accident arising, CR would have absolutely defended as someone who was in control. He was one of us, and to disregard the lessons of his death or to try to tie them to one single mistake rather than the amalgam of the entire scenario resulting in his lack of control I think destroys the credibility of our collective argument.

I don't agree with the extent of this legislation, especially how much discretion can be exercised in the field by police officers, but if that part is to be successfully defeated, the argument must be made from a credible standpoint.

Going back to my 3 initial points, this legislation only effects one thing. Obviously this legislation will not change how you evaluate your driving as it relates to the safety of yourself and others. It will also not change whether you think risky driving is right or wrong. Therefore, it can only affect your risk/reward analysis, and that is entirely the point of this legislation.

Originally Posted by Cordell

You missed my point, anything could happen at any time on the road. I avoid accidents every day I drive, it could be avoiding a drunk, or some dumbass who can't drive. Sure this woman was not in the wrong that night, I also feel that someone coming accross the middle of the freeway would not go un-noticed by me and I would've done something to avoid getting hit, sped up, slowed down, drove off my side of the road, but something.

I highlighted about the single most important point noted.

Wtf is she doing outside the kitchen?

All jokes aside, I see nothing wrong with this law. If you still want to play, do it legally. If you still want to do it illegally, make sure it worth it, and make sure you have a good lawyer in your corner.

Of course this law is flaw too, it'll lead to a lot more people will try to out run the police.

And one last thing, how many street racing fetalities happened last year? Compare that to DUI fetalities and you'll see what's more important.

So what happens in the instance where the street racers pace you or pass you as a cop happens to see it, he pulls you over because you have a seemingly modified car and busts you for street racing even though you weren't involved? So now you have a big ticket, an impounded car, and big lawyer fees to try to get out of it. On top of that, I would bet that they aren't just going to give you your car back, now you have to pay to get it out of impound (if your found not guilty of street racing). Seems like just another way to generate revenue to me. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think they shouldn't have stiffer penalities for those who decide to partake in illegal racing (also should have stiffer penalties for DUI's as well), but they should have an outline as to what is considered street racing, and where they should draw the line at. I know there wouldn't be a perfect outline, but at least there would be some consistancy in what they should look for. I'm not the kind of guy who street races, too much on the line for me to do that, and (if I can ever get my car built to be worthy) I would prefer to race in a controlled environment. However I am the kind of guy who enjoys modifying cars and having them still be street legal, I don't want to have my car taken, get some hefty fines, and look at possible jailtime just because I have a car that is modified.

I hope you don't own a saleen focus because it has nitrous from the factory. Sorry had to be hooked up because the car came with the kit lol. They need to put this kinda of punishment and focus into drunk drivers. i hope it never passes

What's funny is that if you hooked up the nitrous on that Saleen Focus the warranty was no longer valid....dumb.

What you are charged with is pretty much always up to the discretion of the LEO. How is this any different when it comes to you being nailed for street racing or you being nailed for speeding or charged with reckless op? All of those have boundaries and room for interpretation. Don't like it, fight it in court. Your encounter with an LEO isn't a trial. Even the case in point the other driver (a member of CR) wasn't found guilty of street racing.

Yes, you are correct, it is. From my understanding as far as severity goes, street racing is pretty much #2 behind drunk driving. The thing is, at least in my opinion, it's far more impressive for a cop to say "oh I caught 4 guys racing on 70" than "oh, I caught 4 reckless drivers on 70." This is where the boundaries and interpretations come into play. A police officer is going to be more keen on interpreting something as street racing if it involves modified cars whereas if it involved 2 Ford Fiesta's (excluding Ken Blocks lol). While it might not be a trial, it usually involves being found guilty unfortunately, especially if someone my age (early 20's) were to be ticketed for it. Our court systems are unfortunately biased against all groups, ages, etc.

Rare instance but would you be surprised that it has happened to me too? February 2006, find the post here on CR. I had to fight a reckless op ticket on my way home from the airport because the cop said I was part of a string of other cars racing down the road. I face a 6pt reckless op ticket and thus would have lost my company car. Was I pissed, sure. However a $500 lawyer and 1hr in court and it was a non issue. Sucks that my wife and I and five Ben Franklins got involved, but the same shit happens every day when knuckleheads cost others their deductible for rear ending them. Once the facts are put in place odds are good you will not be held liable for something you were shown to not be doing. There will always be exceptions, nothing is B&W and you can't go around not putting laws in place because of it. I think it's pretty clear given the instances like hers and others that the penalties aren't steep enough to deter the behavior.

I can believe it. I'm not going to doubt it, but this is where me saying the LEO's judgement comes into play. I'm not going to go into detail about the money part of mine, because it was easily double of what your's costed, and I had a part time job at McDonalds. I'll drop it at that. There are laws in place for street racing. In my own personal opinion I believe she is pissed over the fact that no one was punished by law for injuring her. Then man who struck her was killed by his own actions, and I believe she is just seeking vengeance now to get the "closure" for lack of better term, that she desires.

Don't hate on Monica for pushing a bill like this, blame those that put her there and others doing the same or driving like fuck-sticks for forcing the card. Own it man, if you've ever played race-me on the freeway with another car (we all pretty much have) then you're part of the problem.

How are cops not kept in check anymore? What's changed within the legal system to warrant your use of the word "anymore". :confused: Please share. Again, you're not found guilty on the side of the road with three other cars. Each has their day in court.

I'm not "hating" on her for pushing it. But to me I'd want to get the hell on with my life. Each day she fights for this is another day she has to think about what she went through, and it's another day that she could have been enjoying the life she is lucky, as all of us are, to have.

From all of the research projects I've done in school, I've found that most LEO's will almost always write a ticket, even when the "suspect" is doubtful to have committed the crime. I.E. A LEO is sitting in his car, in an alley. Hears a car racing it's engine and squealing tires. His natural instinct will be to looks for any car resembling what he pictured in his head, and pursue it, even with no visual evidence. I have IIRC nearly 50-65 pages of 2 separate reports on this for a psychology class, if you'd really like I would be more than happy to try and find them, or attempt to snag them off of my old hard-drive and upload them, with all my resources and information used listed.

IIRC you supported Obama and the Democrats.....aka big gov't. You're just getting what you voted for. Ted Celeste has been an asshole Dem for decades, sucked as governor and even tried to push to end the death penalty. He's also supported fucking you and all the middle class with Obamacare. Enjoy what you brought upon yourself this law included. Hell the LEO Unions have to insure their pensions are paid for. Selling off hot rods and expensive cars will go a long way in helping.

If I ever made it to sound like I supported him 100% I'm sorry, but I don't. I'll throw this out there, that me vote was neither for Mitt or Barack. Call it a wasted vote, but it's my vote. I support SOME things Obama has done, and there aren't too many. I'm sure if you were in my situation then you would find Obama more appealing than Mitt, if you want the details you are more than welcome to PM me and I'd be glad to shed some light as to why.

Not trying to step on your toes at all or come off as an asshole, this is all just simply my opinion, we are all entitled to one, and we all have one.:)

There is a very easy way to get the government off of your back.. pay more in taxes.

$6,028,119,000 is the total number of alcohol tax revenue in 2010. This is why the government taxes the drinks more while lessening the penalties. If street racing were this much of a profit to the government all you would see is a little anti racing campaign. This campaign would consist of using a small amount of the money to make bumper stickers, a short commercial, some billboards, and a 10 minute cheesy video used in drivers ed.

Its all politics

street racing should only be crime if your racing through the city like a jackass.. there's a place and time for everything... if an officer see 2 car's accelerating fast on a highway and there's vehicle's within an 1/4-1/2mile then they should give chase or call it in.. other wise they should fuck off and sit back and watch.. only time they should care is if other pedestrian's could get hurt.. I owned my c6 for year's and never got 1 speeding ticket in it.. there's a reason for that though ;) I notice 90% of these "street racer's" that everyone bitch's about are dudes driving wreckless during rush hour.. useally attend to be dude's in stock suv's fucking around.. occasionally you'll get a high school kid in his first "fast" car after watching to much fast and furious video's revving his engine at a light and flooring his "fast" car..

While it might not be a trial, it usually involves being found guilty unfortunately, especially if someone my age (early 20's) were to be ticketed for it. Our court systems are unfortunately biased against all groups, ages, etc. [/QUOTe]

I disagree that it usually involves being guilty or that age or bias comes into play. The reason drivers are found guilty more often is because the drivers are in fact guilty. There are far greater instances of such charges that are accurate than inaccurate.gain the odds are if guilty you are likely legitimately guilty.

There are laws in place for street racing. In my own personal opinion I believe she is pissed over the fact that no one was punished by law for injuring her.

IMO She has every right to be pissed and the same for her efforts to toughen up the penalties.

the man who struck her was killed by his own actions, and I believe she is just seeking vengeance now to get the "closure" for lack of better term, that she desires.

Sad to say but he brought about his own death. I don't see vengeance here, I see someone now personally motivated to change a system that want strict enough to curb the behavior that as a result impacted her deeply.

I'm not "hating" on her for pushing it. But to me I'd want to get the hell on with my life. Each day she fights for this is another day she has to think about what she went through, and it's another day that she could have been enjoying the life she is lucky, as all of us are, to have.

Unlike your thoughts of just moving on, Monica and even myself would instead take this life changing occurence and do more with it. Again, she's not working with hate, she's making a change to a law that has proven through her experience is weak and does little in it's current state to curb bad behavior.

From all of the research projects I've done in school, I've found that most LEO's will almost always write a ticket, even when the "suspect" is doubtful to have committed the crime. I.E. A LEO is sitting in his car, in an alley. Hears a car racing it's engine and squealing tires. His natural instinct will be to looks for any car resembling what he pictured in his head, and pursue it, even with no visual evidence.

Let's say the above occurred, if the facts that come out in trial don't support it and in this case, they wouldn't, then you're not going to be found guilty. Thus why evidences and facts are required once you leave the side of the road.

Not trying to step on your toes at all or come off as an asshole, this is all just simply my opinion, we are all entitled to one, and we all have one.:)

ditto.

Edited by TTQ B4U