Looking at a 1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac

BigOxley

Had a 1987 celica GT-S as my first car. Loved these cars ever since. Going to look at the alltrac this afternoon in Lima.

What should I look for?

It has:

100k miles

Manual trans

3sgte

c26 turbo

mr2 head

coilovers

looks clean, but it is a NY car

thanks

Personally, I wouldn't touch a car that's been molested that much.. but that's just me.

CT26 turbo is what is supposed to have come on these cars, but not all CT26s were the same. Later revisions that ended up on the Celica-Supras obviously were a little better than what should be on the ST165 all-trac from factory.

He's got a bunch of aftermarket stuff under the hood like silicone couplers, manifold and wastegate, blowoff, I'm suspecting a possible modified OE AFM(which is a big no-no with these). If the car runs, I'm curious what type of manangement it has, if at all. If it's a piggyback style, don't touch it. It's probably been beat on, so I'd be very careful getting into something like this with that many miles.

Also, not mentioned are the Celica wheels, not original to this car.

Yeah, this is a bust. Don't know where to begin. Definitely not buying it.

Mr2 head, blew the other turbo, not sure the injectors are seated, no downpipe, stock ecu, bolts laying everywhere, only 10 miles since new head, etc...

Definitely abort... I had a feeling.

the body and interior, though a little messy, are super nice.

i kinda want to save this car. tell the kid to rip out the engine, buy it, and put a newer used engine in it. complete 3sgte can be had for a $1k

You are right the body and interior is super nice. It just depends if you want to dump 2-4k an extra in the engine/turbo/stand alone/etc.