Akron

nurkvinny

So, I've been reading about a "law" in Akron. The Akron PD has been having gun retailers make a gun buyer fill out an extra, smaller form above and beyond the legal background check. It has name, address, gun S/N, your SSN, your personal description, etc. This gets handed in to the local PD.

How many real laws is this breaking??

for a good law abiding citizen why do you care if they have that info?

Let me have your SS #, name, where you live, and description of yourself.

A picture of you will also help.

After all, you have nothing to hide right?

if you were a member of the law and i was buying a gun i would have no problem handing over that info.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=5780 picture since you requested

I do abide by the laws.

There is no law saying I have to provide that info to the local PD.

If I am the above-mentioned law abiding citizen, there is no need for anyone - private or public - to need that info about me. I am already required to pass a background check, per the current laws. If the law were to read that I must fill out the second form, then I would.

Thankfully, we live in a state that does not require me to register a gun.

When the moon is out

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/147449388/original.jpg

because they have done nothing to deserve it?

because no local law or ordinance may supersede state law in regards to firearms?

because this is gun registration, which isn't a part of Ohio law?

because this is the same city with over the line cops that threaten to shoot valid CCW holders in the FUCKING FACE, for a mistake the officer made?

because this is the same city that has tried to strip legal gun owners of their right to own guns time and again even after Ohio passed preemption?

It seems like there has been a fresh story of Akron being way over the line in regards to guns about every 6 months. They instruct their officers to push the boundaries of what they are allowed to do to oppress gun owners including confiscating legally owned guns with no intention of returning them until a court orders them multiple times to do so, and then enact a gun registration when they are clearly not legally able to. This is why this is an issue. Give the city of Akron an inch and they will go from bending the laws to outright breaking them with complete disregard to what the state of Ohio allows them to do.

because no local law or ordinance may supersede state law in regards to firearms?

because this is the same city with over the line cops that threaten to shoot valid CCW holders in the FUCKING FACE, for a mistake the officer made?

because this is the same city that has tried to strip legal gun owners of their right to own guns time and again even after Ohio passed preemption?

It seems like there has been a fresh story of Akron being way over the line in regards to guns about every 6 months. They instruct their officers to push the boundaries of what they are allowed to do to oppress gun owners including confiscating legally owned guns with no intention of returning them until a court orders them multiple times to do so, and then enact a gun registration when they are clearly not legally able to. This is why this is an issue. Give the city of Akron an inch and they will go from bending the laws to outright breaking them with complete disregard to what the state of Ohio allows them to do.

This is quoted so you can re-read it. The police aren't always your protectors and superbuddies. I'd say this regions track record of abuses towards firearm owners should be more than enough evidence to support not wanting to hand over all your personal information to them, after already proving you are legally able to purchase a firearm.

That was a Canton cop. Close enough though. I wouldn't want to walk down roselawn or gibbs in the dark. lol

Drive extra 20 minutes buy gun in Cleveland? :shrugs:

Why force a person to drive ANY extra miles? Why not have the retailer abide by the actual law in place?

I suggest the better way is to make an effort to make the practice known publicly amongst gun enthusiasts so the situation can be made right.

I know your required to pass a background check in order to purchase a gun from a retailer, but what about a private sale? If you buy a gun from a person its legal to do it that way, and you wouldn't have to go through all the illegal hassle the city of akron wants to put you through.

Why force a person to drive ANY extra miles? Why not have the retailer abide by the actual law in place?

I suggest the better way is to make an effort to make the practice known publicly amongst gun enthusiasts so the situation can be made right.

I'd think you'd know from most of my posting that I agree with you, it was an answer that simply made me smile at how lame it was. Police pushing the boundaries and trying to get away with things like this is quite the bullshit.

I know your required to pass a background check in order to purchase a gun from a retailer, but what about a private sale? If you buy a gun from a person its legal to do it that way, and you wouldn't have to go through all the illegal hassle the city of akron wants to put you through.

the stickies are amazingly easy to find around here, maybe you should check them out some time

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55992