trying to find a pulley noise

Skinner

so last week I replaced the tensioner and serp belt on our 06 dodge caravan and after putting just over 1000 miles (trip to WI) it how making a noise I pulled the serp belt off and noise is gone. not sure of how to trace down where the noise is coming from.

any help ideas?

Ok, replaced the water pump got it all back together and is still making noise. I am at a complete loss.

Anyone have any ideas or hell some time to come over and maybe have a look to try to help me? Just trying to avoid takeing it to a shop.

So this morning drove the van to have a shop look at it and the noise is gone. Well as far as I can tell its gone I am now paraniod of what was normal and whats not. This was also the first time I have put any miles on the van (maybe 10 or 15) since it started to quiet back down.

Sooo confused by this.

There were two styles of alternators used on those vans and one style is notorious for pulley failure/ crazy noise. Glad you figured it out. Be weary of that water pump noise you were talking about, those are also common failure parts on those vans.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this back up from the deadish.

So I have replaced the water pump, belt, alternator, and the belt tensioner. There no a slight chirp/ticking sound but it only happens under acceleration, nothing at idle and nothing when I rev the engine. Would like to maybe meet up with someone to have them listen to it to see what their thoughts are.

A/C compressor? clutch?

nope found the main issue the other day was the first real chance I had to look at it in the daylight without it being too cold. power steering fluid was a bit low. topped it off and noise is gone there is a bit of belt noise still replaced the belt and its less but still there. what makes it so hard is it will only do it under load.

Cordell have me a hand with it today. Thanks again man. kinda had him stumped as well. I may look at it tomorrow some more but now not overly worried as its not going to leave the wife stranded and its not annoyingly loud.