Could somebody explain ways on getting suppressors

Rustlestiltskin

I've been wanting to look into getting a can for my AR while you still can and I figured this would be the best place to post right now. I haven't researched it much at this point but I'm sure one of you could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for all the useful info.

:thumbup:

You probably should talk to Jonathan at Gun Envy about the proper procedures. He can help you get started with the paper work. If you live in Columbus and Franklin county, I wouldn't even bother with individual route and you would have to go with a Trust of LLC route. The CLEO in columbus/franklin county will not sign off on it. In the suburbs, it is different.

MAJOR MALFUNCTION - Class 3 III NFA dealer - suppressor / silencer sales

Machine guns, suppressors, short barrel rifles/shotguns (SBR) are all completely legal to own in most states (those that honor/protect our individual freedoms - you're out of luck if you live in CA or NY).

If you've never gone through the process of purchasing one of the these items, it's really not that complicated (it just seems that way, if you've never done it before).

These item can be owned by an INDIVIDUAL, a TRUST, or a CORPORATION.

individual

STEP 1 We'll complete two copies of an ATF Form 4 for you (the only info we need from you is your full name, mailing address and county). You simply check a few boxes (to verify that you're 21 or older, not mentally defective, a drug addict, a fugitive from justice, etc.) and sign/date.

STEP 2 You get two passport photos done (Walgreen's or CVS pharmacy can do them in about 15 minutes in their photo processing section) .

STEP 3 We'll provide you with an ATF Form 5330.20, which simply verifies your citizenship status. You fill in lines 1 & 2, check the appropriate box on line 5 and sign/date on line 7.

STEP 4 We'll also provide you with two fingerprint cards that you'll use to get your fingerprints done (it's usually easiest to get the prints done when you go to your local law enforcement agency's office in step 5).

STEP 5 Take everything to your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) and have him/her sign on the back side of both copies of the ATF Form 4.

STEP 6 We'll mail the whole packet, along with a $200 check from you (a one time fee that pays your transfer tax - also called "tax stamp") to the ATF.

STEP 7 6-8 weeks later, when I get your approved paperwork back from the ATF, I can transfer the NFA item to you along with your ATF approved Form 4.

trust

STEP 1 We'll complete two copies of an ATF Form 4 for you (the only info we need from you is your full name, mailing address and county). You simply check a few boxes (to verify that you're 21 or older, not mentally defective, a drug addict, a fugitive from justice, etc.) and sign/date.

STEP 2 We'll provide you with an ATF Form 5330.20, which simply verifies your citizenship status. You fill in lines 1 & 2, check the appropriate box on line 5 and sign/date on line 7.

STEP 3 WE'LL ASSIST YOU IN DRAFTING UP YOUR TRUST and ensure that it's formatted correctly so that your paperwork won't get delayed or denied once it has been submitted.

STEP 4 You sign your trust documents in front of a notary and have it notarized. You'll make a photocopy of the entire trust and send it back to us (so that we can submit it to the ATF along with your ATF Form 4). Store your original trust with your other important documents (mortgage, will, etc.).

STEP 5 We'll mail the whole packet, along with a $200 check from you (a one time fee that pays your transfer tax - also called "tax stamp") to the ATF.

STEP 6 6-8 weeks later, when I get your approved paperwork back from the ATF, I can transfer the NFA item to you along with your ATF approved Form 4.

The TRUST is by far the easiest method of ownership. You'll spend 1/10th the time completing your paperwork if you use a TRUST (instead of INDIVIDUAL OWNERSHIP), because you won't need passport photos, fingerprint cards, or the CLEO's signature. There is no "down side" to a trust.

I do not recommend ever going the CORPORATION route for NFA ownership. Businesses change and/or dissolve eventually (and then you'll have the hassle of dealing with your NFA items that are the property of the corporation). A TRUST or INDIVIDUAL OWNERSHIP will last your lifetime.

If you have any questions about the process, please don't hesitate to call me and ask. My goal is to take the mystery out of it all and make it simple, easy and care free.