Gold and silver investing

99BlownYellowGT

Does anybody have any advice or websites where i can read up on gold and silver investing?? Cant seem to find a legitimate one. I am new to this but i have a little extra cash and wanted to go this direction. Unless i should be looking in another direction. I am clueless with this stuff and i need to learn!!

Silver is pretty high right now. Been in the 30 range for a while now

http://www.apmex.com/

If you could find someone and buy it few dollars below spot (best way is buying in bulk) You might be into something.

Also another thing to remember. 100 ounce (bars) easier to buy and harder to sell.

Small amounts 1 ounce at a time usually sell closer to spot but sell faster.

I have spent a huge amount of time in precious metals. If any more questions feel free to ask.

By looking it seems people are buying american eagles to keep for this purpose. But they are going for 1800 a piece.

The gold value itself is only 1667, and as you said those coins sell in the $1720 and up range.

People pay a premium for them. For that reason I steer clear of them... But I know people that make money with them.

I see them going on ebay for over 18-1900. Im looking to hold on to them for over 5 years. They seem to double in value

eBay is not indicative of the true market.

A. The sellers incur high fees for listing,selling,receiving payment,shipping, and insuring.

B. The buyers manipulate coupons and cash back rewards lowing their true cost.

Realistically can you find these coins below trading value?

Coins, not likely. Bars, probably.

The only time I got coins below their "real" value was an eBay deal. A seller had a fair price to begin with, and I had a coupon available and stacked it with a cashback promo AMEX was running on one of my cards.

Here's a thread from 2011 that might be of some interest. There are a few valid points, but you have to sift through some crap, too:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90369&highlight=gold+investing

Guess i could have searched lol

so i should look into buying bulk bars

Coins are fine, if you can find the deals. They are just harder to come by because demand is so high.

No matter what you are investing in, the idea is to buy it for less then what you can sell it for later (I know yeh, duh, right)

But when you start in the hole (paying a premium) it just makes it harder, unless you are in a very volatile market. I personally (and this is merely an opinion) believe we are in a sideways market. Meaning you will see small ups and downs, but in general the next couple years we will be about where we are now.

Ofcoarse I'm not making millions analyzing the market with propiatary algorithms, so my opinion is worth less than the phone I typed it with.

I've made a killing in both gold and silver over the last 15 years. That does not qualify me to give advice, though.

My preference has been American Eagle coins because of the ease of sale and the possibility of retailing them in small quantities to individuals. For example, I would buy in bulk when the market was low, and when prices would rise dramatically and get in the news, then people would get excited and want in on the market. That's when I would sell.

In the silver American Eagles, I bought the green monster box (500 coins, mint sealed) each year for about a decade. When you buy like that, you can immediately break the box into the tubes of 20 coins and sell them for a small profit if you need to offset your cost. Keep them a few years, as I did, and your investment can payoff handsomely if the price of silver continues to rise.

The coins are always going to be worth something (unlike stocks I've purchased), make nice gifts in a holder, and are easy to store and transport.

I've made a killing in both gold and silver over the last 15 years. That does not qualify me to give advice, though.

My preference has been American Eagle coins because of the ease of sale and the possibility of retailing them in small quantities to individuals. For example, I would buy in bulk when the market was low, and when prices would rise dramatically and get in the news, then people would get excited and want in on the market. That's when I would sell.

In the silver American Eagles, I bought the green monster box (500 coins, mint sealed) each year for about a decade. When you buy like that, you can immediately break the box into the tubes of 20 coins and sell them for a small profit if you need to offset your cost. Keep them a few years, as I did, and your investment can payoff handsomely if the price of silver continues to rise.

The coins are always going to be worth something (unlike stocks I've purchased), make nice gifts in a holder, and are easy to store and transport.

The more i look it seems like silver eagles might be the way to go for me.

I bought them from the seller with the lowest price (watch the shipping and insurance costs) and who was well-established. Apmex comes to mind, but really, the cheapest vendor changed year-to-year.

Here's a 2012 sealed tube of 20, for example:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/top_zps7d1b5b0e.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/side_zpsd9e8d6c4.jpg

What Jordan told you was quite valid, though. If you can find bars selling below spot, and you intend to hold on to them for a long time, they provide more potential profit than buying coins retail as I did. However, I preferred the ability to move the metal quickly and to a wider group of customers--that's where coins had the advantage, IMHO.