Best way to learn to hunt/fish?

hpfiend

A good Boy Scout troop would be great for your boys. You could be active and learn a bit too. I was a scout in a rural area with a 2nd generation scout master so we were strict to purpose of scouting so we learned survival skills pretty well. Sure it wasn't "extreme", but it built the necessary basic skills.

Lots of other positive reasons to join up.

If nothing else maybe pick up a boy scout handbook. Lots of good stuff in there.

I do a lot of carp fishing with a group of friends, and there is actually even a club/forum for the specific way we fish. Not sure if this fits the "survival" goal you're talking about, but they are large hard fighting fish and relatively easily caught. You would be welcome to come join us the next time it's warm. There are usually 3 or 4 of us out together and new people are always welcome.

I'm sure your kids would have a blast carp fishing too I'm sure. In my experience kids always think they have some giant fish when they hook a 10 pounder, which is actually really easy to hook into. Basic tackle is all that's required to get started.

I've never been duck hunting, but I got a friend's brother who's going to take us out in Louisiana. Been dying to get into it, just haven't found a time or location.

There are guided hunting trips you may want to look into as well. Get comfortable after a few trips and then venture on your own. Worth the money to pick a professional's brain for tricks of the trade.