Racing seat recommendations

Richard Cranium

I think it's time. With the Procharger going into the car we decided the roll bar should go in as well. I'd like to take the car down to Wilmington and try my hand at the mile as well as the drag strip. I don't want to be limited to 135, so the roll bar is a done deal.

If I'm going that far it makes sense to me to switch out the seats as well and add harnesses. Car is a 95 Camaro that is primarily street driven. I'm not going to say cost isn't an issue, but I want something that is reasonably comfortable for at least an hour at a time. I know I'm going to have to spend some money on this.

I was thinking about the Kirkey aluminum seats with pads, those are definitely in my price range. Anyone know how comfortable those are? What recommendations does anyone have?

I think it's time. With the Procharger going into the car we decided the roll bar should go in as well. I'd like to take the car down to Wilmington and try my hand at the mile as well as the drag strip. I don't want to be limited to 135, so the roll bar is a done deal.

If I'm going that far it makes sense to me to switch out the seats as well and add harnesses. Car is a 95 Camaro that is primarily street driven. I'm not going to say cost isn't an issue, but I want something that is reasonably comfortable for at least an hour at a time. I know I'm going to have to spend some money on this.

I was thinking about the Kirkey aluminum seats with pads, those are definitely in my price range. Anyone know how comfortable those are? What recommendations does anyone have?

How fast are you planning to go? Meeting tech requirements for ECTA gets pretty pricy and *really* pricey in the 200+ category.

Kirkey can build a compliant seat and so can UltraShield (you might want to compare prices/features). I haven't sat in either but it certainly doesn't look like something I'd want to take on a road trip :)

I have a rule book and would be glad to look something up for you.

What's your height and weight? Size may dictate options.

Most organizations in road racing ( not sure if it applies to what you are doing) require you to run a seat back brace on seats like Kirkey or Corbeau that don't carry an FIA safety certification. Not a big deal but adds to cost to build the brace.

My brother has kirkey's in his FD and they are nice once you get into them but they suck to crawl in and out of. For a car that is primarily a street car there are some seats out there that are easier to get in and out of which may be key for you. The Recaro I have in my car is actually pretty easy to get in and out of for a race seat which is nice because I do drive it on the street more than I track it. Corbeau FX-1 is another I've been in that's on the easier side to get in and out of.

Edited by AudiOn19s

^^ I have ultrashields in my car but they're similar to kirkey designs but I like that they have more road race oriented shoulder supports.

You need to look at which organization you're going to run with and then that should guide what you need.

Fiberglass seats are generally more comfortable but more expensive for similar seats.

These will be what I'm getting. I'm a big guy (6'6" 260-265) and I need my room and reclining. The wide series is a little pricey, but I like the comfort they will have for a daily. Nice replacement for my stock seats falling apart with provisions for a harness.

http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/lg1/#

Some good thoughts there. I doubt I'll ever see even close to 200mph. When I do try the mile though I will break 135 and don't want to get booted. I think I would reasonably expect 160 or so as a long term goal. As far as 1/4 mile goal would be in the low 10 second range. Since my car is a 6 speed that's a little tougher without the driver mod.

For my frame I'm pretty big right now, 5'7" and 220lbs. A personal goal I have for myself is to get down to 180 and stay there. I can do it, I just have to put my mind to it.

Something a little tough to get in and out of doesn't bother me. Once the roll bar goes in the car will be tough to get in and out of anyhow. I also don't mind loosing the seat hinge. The roll bar will pretty much make the back seat inaccessible, so I plan on loosing it in the process. The car will never again be a daily driver. My current plan is to convert to E85, so that will probably cut the range of the car considerably. My thought would be that I would not be driving the car more than 100 miles at a time.

I'll make a trip up to Jegs and see what they have on display. I'll look into the Corbeaus as well, thanks Erik.

Edited by Richard Cranium

Jeg's has a very nice one on display. I believe it was a "Pro Series" brand, very comfy and similar in design in my opinion to a Corbeau. All black, not sure if it was reclining or not. Regardless I'm fairly certain it was a fraction of the cost that a Corbeau is.

Here is a listing of FIA approved seats from one vendor. As you can see there are still some relatively inexpensive units in there. If you're going to need to build a seat back brace for a non-FIA seat the extra cost up front for one of these may be worth it.

The Recaro's listed are slightly different than the ones I have but they are the same shell up to the shoulders...they are spendy honestly it's the easiest seat i've ever crawled into and out of and they are actually really comfortable to be in. I drive 3+ hours to track days in them without issue. At your current weight some of these might be snug but you'll fit, if you get under 200 you'll fit in all but the smallest seats out there fine. If you are a lifter some of them can be pretty tight in the shoulders though.

http://www.soloracer.com/fiaseats.html

Jeg's has some on display, IPS did before they moved maybe they still do? Take the time to sit in some, I've tried out the Kirky seats and think they're pretty nice but you should sit in some.

We have five different models in the Showroom for Test-Fitting.

I've got the Kirkey wide seats in my car. You do have to crawl out of them a little (even more if you have a side bar). But I'm not a big guy either 5'7" 185, but my uncle is 6'4" 270 and he fits fine in the seats as good as I do. Just a fyi