98 ford taurus hard start

351mach11647545510

Posting for a buddy at work. he has a 98 ford taurus with just under 200k miles. increasingly more frequent and lasting longer, when he goes to start the car it just cranks and cranks without firing up. whenever we ride to work together and it decides to do it, by the the time i decide to get out and start checkin for the basics of spark and fuel, it fires up. It isnt throwing any codes and was wondering how you could trace this down when you cant consistently get it to do it. its his primary vehicle and he has a baby, so I hate to tell him to drive it till it goes and then try to diagnose it but I dont know what to do in this case.

thats one of the things i was thinkin. I just hate for him to throw money at a problem instead of trying to actually narrow it down better

Dunno the fuel rail configuration on those cars, but what I would do is buy/rent a fuel pressure gauge and check for proper pressure every time it acts up. That way you can narrow it down to a fuel (pressure) related issue (although there are a few things that can cause the pressure to drop outside of a failing fuel pump, but the most likely cause is the pump itself)

Also check for corrosion at the fuel pump ground.

does this sound like its the same issue?

Intermittent no start, no spark, no injector trigger. The condition generally occurs after the vehicle has been driven, shut off and allowed to sit for several minutes before attempting to start it.

Yea, that sounds about right. Typical situation when I'm around is he'll pick me up then we'll run into the gas station down the street and when we come out, it doesn't want to start.

common fixes for that issue is gonna be one of these:

1. Crankshaft position sensor

2. Ignition coil pack (its 1 block with all coils, I replaced one on my Fiance's Sable but her's was due to a misfire only on 1 cylinder)

3. PCM (highly doubt this)

how long has it been since the spark plugs were replaced?

I honestly don't know

won't hurt to check them, my g/f's Sable would have an extended crank when first starting in the mornings due to the plugs being worn, plugs were so worn out the gap was somewhere in the upper 0.65 range, specs should be 0.42-0.46