2013 Road Cycling Thread

evan9381

106 miles----crazy.

i'm not sure how much drafting goes on during these events, i'll have to ask my wife. she does most of her rides solo---a few mixed solo/group rides, and then a fair amount on her trainer.

her ride is a felt carbon frame, with zipp wheels and a power meter sprocket. she wants a dedicated triathlon bike this winter for next season

I've realized over the last year and a half that there are a metric shit ton of women that will fuck with the guys in the fast group. their smaller body (usually. lol) means they have to produce less power for the same results. theres 4-5 women i ride with regularly that are 120-135lbs, and are insanely strong.

let me know if she ever decides to sell the Zipps, though i doubt i'll be able to afford them. lol

and yeah, the 106 was kinda rough. i was supposed to do century #6 to hit my goal on a charity ride the day before, but the forecast was 90-100% rain all day, so i skipped it and decided to make up the miles the next day. worked out well. sometimes its nice to get out for a solo ride and clear my mind.

for an update for this year as of today - 93 rides; 3877 miles; ~214 hours ride time; 117,600' of climbing

got my 6 centuries, but haven't cracked the 5h mark yet. best time so far this year 4/6 of them have been at 5:28-5:40ish. I had faster last year (TOSRV day 1 I think was 5:20). i know i can average 20+ for 100+, its just gotta be a flat ride with a group :). the big rides we've done have a bunch of climbing which obviously slows it down. Tour de Cure was 102.7mi w/ 5400' and it was 5:29:18, Tour de Cause in Lancaster was 104.2mi w/ 5500' done in 5:41:57 (and it was hot as fuck that day)

its been a good year. i'll definitely hit my 5k mile goal...hopefully before october.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll let you know what she decides to do with the bike, although honestly, we will probably keep it as a spare bike. she got the wheels as part of a group buy, but i was still shocked when i found out how much they were. apparently, they make a pretty big difference.

apparently, there are officials on the bike course and no drafting is allowed.

5k miles??

wow

106 miles----crazy.

i'm not sure how much drafting goes on during these events, i'll have to ask my wife. she does most of her rides solo---a few mixed solo/group rides, and then a fair amount on her trainer.

her ride is a felt carbon frame, with zipp wheels and a power meter sprocket. she wants a dedicated triathlon bike this winter for next season

When I was doing tri's drafting is not permitted, its a instant DQ, and I am fairly certain it still remains this way.

She will pick you 30-50 watts going to a tri specific bike, they are meant to do one thing very well, and that is be aero and fast on flat pulls, they DO make a difference in that realm.

Felt makes some nice TT bikes (time trial) for which your wife would enjoy the perks of technology. Also aero wheels make a world of change on these TT bikes as well as road bikes in general. Which Zipp's does she have, 303's?

If you want to talk triathlon bikes let me know. Also check out our Project One program. Full ability to customize the bike to her liking from components to colors and even the fit. It is an absolutely amazing program and will be launching some new lower price points soon as well.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/projectone/#model/speedconcept9serieswsd

Yeah, 5K for the year. Not too crazy when you think about it over 12 months. its 100 miles a week. I ride when it'd cold out too, so it gives me more time. Hell, last year I rode march-november-ish, and did 3700. I got 54 in today and I'm about 70 shy of 4k now.

And Kirk, Josh is now out your way near the Trek HQ, so you could maybe connect with him to get her into something.

• 3 weeks later...

The trek store on sawmill has a pretty awesome fitting machine, but its overkill to some degree...

All the Roll Bike stores have fitting scanners as well. But to be frank any expert and the factory frame specs should be able to get you pretty close. Its mainly about top tube length now-a-days and the how upright you want to be.

I bike to work 3-4 days a week. 12.5 mile round trip... and also go mountain biking.. The perks of living in Phoenix and living across the street from a mountain. I luckily can ride all year.

There so many bike clubs here I haven't joined yet because they are really hardcore about it.

The trek store on sawmill has a pretty awesome fitting machine, but its overkill to some degree...

All the Roll Bike stores have fitting scanners as well. But to be frank any expert and the factory frame specs should be able to get you pretty close. Its mainly about top tube length now-a-days and the how upright you want to be.

its the new GURU FIT machine, IIRC. the guy who did my fitting (Chris Freter) at the Lane Ave store does them out of sawmill as well. he lives right around the corner from there too. it is overkill for the weekend warrior, but for those who race, or put in serious miles and want to get fitted to a T, it's for them.

also, just to update since i haven't posted in here in a couple weeks, yesterday, did 125.03 (yeah...don't forget the .03) miles. there was a planned 103 mile ride starting about 10 miles from home, so i rode to the ride, did the ride, then back home. felt pretty good until i started the ride home, and realized my ass had enough. it was still a good day though. had a little over 5k' of elevation gain. Burg Bricks, Chatham, Dutch Lane, Reynolds, Black Snake, Sycamore...some of the good ones just outside of town

its the new GURU FIT machine, IIRC. the guy who did my fitting (Chris Freter) at the Lane Ave store does them out of sawmill as well. he lives right around the corner from there too. it is overkill for the weekend warrior, but for those who race, or put in serious miles and want to get fitted to a T, it's for them.

also, just to update since i haven't posted in here in a couple weeks, yesterday, did 125.03 (yeah...don't forget the .03) miles. there was a planned 103 mile ride starting about 10 miles from home, so i rode to the ride, did the ride, then back home. felt pretty good until i started the ride home, and realized my ass had enough. it was still a good day though. had a little over 5k' of elevation gain. Burg Bricks, Chatham, Dutch Lane, Reynolds, Black Snake, Sycamore...some of the good ones just outside of town

Was that the ride out of Westerville on sunday? My dad did that century ride as well, I was going to but had a soccer match to play in, and not be dead the rest of the day lol.

The OMBC Damn Dam race is at Alum Creek on Sunday, I am going to compete in it, I think Mike on here is as well. Should be fun for my first MTB race.

Any group rides on wednesday or thursday? (I know about Westerville on wed.)

Yeah, it was the westerville ride. Who is your dad? Wondering if i may know him.

As for rides, i do dublin tues (avery park, south lot, 615), westerville wednesday, and thurs is New Albany (6pm) or theres a westerville ride from the church at freeman and rt3. I only went to a couple of those this year, so youd have to go on the WBC website find out what time theyre rolling.

Most weeknight rides are gonna end at the end of the month until march. Ill still ride weekends and maybe get some lights this year to get out during the evenings over the winter

• 1 month later...

http://www.strava.com/activities/88683294#

finally hit my 5,000 miles in 2013 goal today. had a crash on the ride, sprained wrist, bruised ribs/hip, but nothing broken, thankfully. combination of a stupid mistake on my end, and my new wheels (like 4th ride on them) being WAY more grippy on the brakes than my old wheels. coming to a stop, guy in front of me braked a little harder than i expected, and i just grabbed too much brake lever and went over the handlebars @ ~18-20mph...still finished the final 20 miles (albeit a bit slower than what we were riding at) instead of getting a ride back. no way i was gonna wait until next weekend or later to hit that goal.

http://www.strava.com/activities/88683294#

finally hit my 5,000 miles in 2013 goal today. had a crash on the ride, sprained wrist, bruised ribs/hip, but nothing broken, thankfully. combination of a stupid mistake on my end, and my new wheels (like 4th ride on them) being WAY more grippy on the brakes than my old wheels. coming to a stop, guy in front of me braked a little harder than i expected, and i just grabbed too much brake lever and went over the handlebars @ ~18-20mph...still finished the final 20 miles (albeit a bit slower than what we were riding at) instead of getting a ride back. no way i was gonna wait until next weekend or later to hit that goal.

Thats a ton of miles - Congrats!

We rode out that way yesterday as well (out towards the ride for reason route), went out to Granville and back 56 miles, nothing crazy (climbing stone quarry is always a blast though). There was another biker that crashed as well, Dan Chamberlin, t boned a car that rolled through a stop while he was going 24-25... He is okay, but in rough shape, the driver was cited.

I think my dad hit 4k so far, and I with my road bike only about a month and a half now have only hit 500...But I am enjoying and getting much more acclimated to my body and its ability on the bike.

As a caveat its also making me much stronger on the dirt trails which is enjoyable!

If you ride this week let me know Ill try and meet up on a group ride.

thanks!

i might try to get out this weekend, but if i do, it's gonna be slow and flat. my body today still feels like i got hit by a bus. im hoping the pain goes down to get something short in on saturday

and i heard about the guy getting hit through a mutual friend today on FB. i dont know if i know the guy or not...name doesn't sound familiar, but i may have seen him out on some rides before. regardless, shit sucks.