Just Passed the DLAB

Bigbird

Just barely qualified for all language categories, but I did. Yes, this is a little bit of bragging, but I had to take this hellacious test on my birthday. So I would say I've earned it.

I know many of you have served in the military. Anyone have any experience as/with linguists? I'm hoping for Airborne (AF), the fiance is a little nervous about the SERE training, but I think it sounds awesome.

Be nervous about SERE school. I think you still get to sign the bone waiver, saying they can break one. I've not been, but the training partner I went to my Combatives schools with went. We talked about it a few times. Sounds fun. As for the language stuff, we were always given a terp and just brushed up on the dialect for the area we were in. Frankly, I'm terrible at it.

Congrats.

So you enlisted in what branch as a Linguist? I know the Army has a huge signing bonus for that MOS currently. Congrats on passing DLAB, but that is just the beginning. If you fail your language school, welcome to needs of the Army or any branch for that matter. Depending on the language you select it will determine how long you will be in training. When I was debating my transition to Special Operations, the unit I was to be attached area of operation was Eastern Asia and the requirements for language were Chinese Madrid, Thai, Korean, etc. That school was estimated at 24 weeks. Having a language mastered in any branch will help you earn more money on each paycheck as well. You going in as an officer or enlisted?

FYI, there are three different SERE levels, and two locations:

SERE training takes place at four levels:

Level A: Entry level training. These are the Code of Conduct mandatory classes taken by all at induction (recruit training and OCS). All service personnel get this basic training annually.

Level B: For those operating or expected to operate forward of the division rear boundary and up to the forward line of own troops (FLOT). Normally limited to aircrew of the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps. Level B focuses on survival and evasion, with resistance in terms of initial capture.

Level C: For troops at a high risk of capture and whose position, rank or seniority make them vulnerable to greater than average exploitation efforts by any captor. Level C focuses on resistance in terms of prison camps.

SERE training is included in the flight school curriculum at Fort Rucker, Alabama for all Army Flight crews, both commissioned officers and warrant officers. It is the full course of 21 days. There is also a school at Camp Mackall for candidates in the Special Forces pipeline.

Dont be worried about SERE have plenty of friends that went thru it that you would consider the opposite end of jock or badass.

Also I never heard them say anything about a bone waiver.

The worst thing I have heard is they get to slap you once or twice. each time putting a bracelet on you so they know how many times you have been slapped. Never heard of a bone waiver, but you never know.

I think the truth is somewhere in between "they can only slap you twice" and "bone waiver." I know lots of people who have been through SERE, and every single one of them hated it, like absolutely hated it when they were there, like would have run off if they could, but then 2 weeks later were glad they went.

What language?

I think the truth is somewhere in between "they can only slap you twice" and "bone waiver." I know lots of people who have been through SERE, and every single one of them hated it, like absolutely hated it when they were there, like would have run off if they could, but then 2 weeks later were glad they went.

What language?

That's better than the alternative haha. And I don't believe I'll know until basic, or once I get to tech school at DLI. I scored well enough the be assigned any language though.

Congrats and good luck, then. I'd love to have a 2-year vacation to Monterey right now :)

eta: I only know of a couple of linguists personally. One was a Russian linguist in the 80s, not much use for that now. The other was sent to DLI to learn Spanish. I was like, Don't we already hire thousands of people who already know Spanish? But that's the military for you. He worked drug interdiction, I'll let you fill in the rest.