Android map app question

Mowgli1647545497

Ok my Google-fu has failed me.

This changed a few months ago and its bugged me but only recently enough to make me try to fix.

So before when I would search for a location from my search function on my Android (Thunderbolt w 2.3.4) it would give me a listing of results ala a Google Search, and when I'd click on a map one there, usually the first result, it used to open up my phone's map app - the vanilla Google Map app - which I love.

Now - it takes me to the Google Maps webpage. I cannot stand this since it's gimped half of the functionality I use in navigating with the app.

How can I force this to go back to opening the app instead of the maps webpage? Ergo - when I click on a map on a webpage, it opens my map app and not the google maps webpage.

(Yes I know I can open the map app first and search from there - I'm not asking that)

Its possible when you chose to open the map one time you chose browser and always use or something of the sort, there has to be a setting somewhere thatll allow you to change it. Go to your map program in your apps list and see what kind of settings are in there, and check your browser settings too. There might even be a setting in the map program once you open it.

So after digging and researching turns out this was fallout from the Apple lawsuit.

Apparently clicking a link opening an app is an invention of apple????? (my ass it was)

Anyhoos, to turn this bullshit off go here and follow the instructions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1696536

You'll need to be rooted.

Some ROMs already have the offending HTCLinkifyDispatcher and ro.da1.enable set to false in the build.prop. I am using good old Sense so I got wacked by the lawsuit bullshittery.

This had been in effect since apparently June, meaning it hit me with some update 2nd half of the year. I clearly haven't been paying attention.

But now, maps work like they should: I click a link on link in a webpage and voila my amazing and world's best map app, Google Maps, opens.

(This also applies to Play Store links, Maps addresses, and possibly Contact data and phone numbers.)

SUCK MY LONG HAIRY DICK, APPLE!!!

Takes balls to want to stick their apple shit into my android pizza.

Although, in this case I think it was more a case of HTC exhibiting an extreme lack of intestinal fortitude instead of being men and telling Apple to go suck it.

Pre-emptively ganking your own product's software *just in case*? That's some cowardly craven-ness right there.

I mean - did they honestly think they'd actually get in trouble for opening apps by clicking a link!?! Seriously? Nobody on the face of this planet (except maybe an american jury) would believe apple invented that.

Especially when the whole lawsuit got shafted in europe: EU courts told apple to eat it.

Only in Uhmerika....

Oh wait, right, this IS the jury/judge who decided apple invented the touchscreen and the RECTANGLE.

Google doesn't seem to be too worried about it, it still works in 4.2.1 vanilla.

Meanwhile, at Windows Phone

http://mashable.com/2013/01/05/google-maps-windows-phone/

Google's official response — as we pointed out yesterday — is that the decision to redirect users away from Google Maps on Windows Phone devices is a choice Google has made. That's because it has optimized the mobile version of its Maps website for browsers that use the WebKit rendering engine. WebKit is the rendering engine that Apple, Google, RIM and many others use on their mobile browsers. Meanwhile, Microsoft uses the Trident rendering engine for Internet Explorer on the desktop and mobile.