Gun review: Ruger SR9c

Mojoe

I'll start this off by admitting my bias to the M&P line. The trigger is all the crap you hear, but it works for me, with or without the Apex kit. The function, fit and over all appeal have made me a huge fan. I mostly shoot .40 and have, in recent months, wanted to explore the right 9mm for me. Glock's just don't fit well in my hands for the feel I want to function the weapon. I respect them for the proven performance, but it's not the gun for me.

So let's talk about the SR9c. The look of it over all is simple, the functions are easy for my midget hands to reach, like the slide release and mag release(ambidextrous). The safety is also a slide lock, preventing the slide to function. Many semi autos do this, I just happen to like the design of how Ruger did it with this fire arm. By simple, I mean there aren't any excessive sized release levers or huge bulky parts. It is a double stack mag and yet surprisingly still quite thin. The sights are fully adjustable, though I have not moved mine yet. I just really like that I can dial in a adjustment like I can on a rifle with iron sights.

If you shoot enough guns, you realize quickly that the recoil can be very different in the same caliber from one gun to the next. My .40's, full size and compact, shoot very different effecting my over all accuracy, as with most people. However, and understanding it is going down to a 9mm, with the SR9c I'm absolutely impressed with the ability to get back on target and effectively engage it after firing each shoot. I preach the fundamentals of shooting when I work with people, and I stick to them myself pretty well. But this gun will let me be a little sloppy and still be on target. I actually find myself getting a little mad knowing I messed up a shot, but it's still pretty good.

I've fired about 250 rounds with it now and it has not had a malfunction in any way. If you have shot one, I would like to hear your thoughts. And if you haven't and get the chance to fire one, try it out, I would like to hear your thoughts also.

Ask all the others what I think. :lolguy:

It's my EDC. I love it. Thing runs flawlessly. Had it for 2 years, thousand+ rounds through it with nary a hiccup. Many of my friends and fam who carry/shoot about every other big name pistol (M&P, Glock, Colt 1911, XD, etc.) are equally impressed by it.

I agree with all your M&P talking points, love mine and how it fits my hand.

I really wanted to pick up the SR9c that was on here, but having never held or fired one I did not jump on it.

Might have to make a trip to the gun store this weekend to fondle one and see how it fits in my paws, I need a carry gun.

I know my dad loves his. I'll have to go shoot it sometime and do a comparison with my pf9

I shot the PF9 and had 5 malfunctions in 2 mags. I was done. I had heard great things though and liked the price.

Ask all the others what I think. :lolguy:

It's my EDC. I love it. Thing runs flawlessly. Had it for 2 years, thousand+ rounds through it with nary a hiccup. Many of my friends and fam who carry/shoot about every other big name pistol (M&P, Glock, Colt 1911, XD, etc.) are equally impressed by it.

We are on the same page with many posts I've read of yours. Good to read this one.

I agree with all your M&P talking points, love mine and how it fits my hand.

I really wanted to pick up the SR9c that was on here, but having never held or fired one I did not jump on it.

Might have to make a trip to the gun store this weekend to fondle one and see how it fits in my paws, I need a carry gun.

Who ever scored the SR9c from here a few weeks ago go a great deal. They are hard to find like the Shield, from what I have seen.

Let's get together and go to the range sometime, Brian.

I shot the PF9 and had 5 malfunctions in 2 mags. I was done. I had heard great things though and liked the price.

We are on the same page with many posts I've read of yours. Good to read this one.

Who ever scored the SR9c from here a few weeks ago go a great deal. They are hard to find like the Shield, from what I have seen.

Let's get together and go to the range sometime, Brian.

Sounds good, I need to get some more ammo anywa :)

I have an SR9c. I carry it depending on what I wear and where I go. For IWB carry its not bad, little heavy if you use the 17rd mags. I use the 10 rd mags to save a little weight. The slim design is a plus and I like the manual safety. I am use to the 1911 style so the safety is not an issue for me. It is the smallest carry gun I own.

Yes that is what I want. You like X because why? ;)

Form, feel, function.

To me, the SR9c blows the other options I had (Glock 26, XD, M&P) out of the water in terms of feel. It just fits. Plain and simple. WIth the 17 rd mag I haven't fount a CCW that has a more balanced feel.

The function also sold me. I did a little research. Apparently Ruger took ideas from the best CCWs out there (again, Glock, M&P, XD) and integrated some of those into this pistol. IMO they wanted to take all the positives of the others and make one pistol that incorporates them all. With the different options in mags, adjustable sights, easy to use slide release and safety, and the great trigger pull from the factory it was a no brainer. That and I got a killer deal from Gun Envy at a show.

Really? I've shot everything from steel case to self defense hollow points and not one problem. I guess all guns are different. I got it from dale at delta epsilon.

Really? I've shot everything from steel case to self defense hollow points and not one problem. I guess all guns are different. I got it from dale at delta epsilon.

The owner said it was probably dirty. But I don't credit him with letting it be that dirty. I'll try another one some day.

I was fortunate enough to fire said weapon. I only put about 25 rounds through it, but liked it well enough. i wasn't a fan of the trigger style, and it was a touch thin for me.

I am an M&P nut swinger, and have yet to find anything I like firing more.

The only ammo my pf9 ever jammed on was some old Winchester Ranger with a wide cone hp. Anything with a tighter cone like the hornaday critical defense works great.

Ruger also has great customer service. I have called a few times and tried to order small parts like scope ring screws and pins for a 10/22. They are always nice and sent me new parts at n/c. Last time the nice lady refused to let me pay saying how much they appreciated my business.

I was fortunate enough to fire said weapon. I only put about 25 rounds through it, but liked it well enough. i wasn't a fan of the trigger style, and it was a touch thin for me.

I am an M&P nut swinger, and have yet to find anything I like firing more.

I would take multiple other triggers over my M&P. (stock trigger)

Waiting on my Apex to come in before comparing post trigger jobs.

I would take multiple other triggers over my M&P. (stock trigger)

Waiting on my Apex to come in before comparing post trigger jobs.

I can see where there is lots of room for improvement on it, but I shoot it very well.

There is also more to enjoying the firearm than the trigger. Everything about it feels perfect to me. This isn't to say I wouldn't like a modified trigger even more, or another weapon more, just that I haven't fired one yet that I liked more.

I've been contemplating this purchase for a long time now. I like the fact that i can conceal it yet i can put on the mag extension and hand it to my wife for home defense or range shooting. She likes to shoot my 1911 but it can become alot for her after a few mags between the weight, recoil and size.

In a IWB supertuck how well does it carry?