Budget Mess Military Edition

wagner

Furlough is the word of the month at work on base. They're talking about laying off gov workers one day a week (instead of one big chunk) for a few months.

I'm not saying the budget thing is not an issue, but I see no issue with this.

Right after the automotive crash my company did a very similar thing. Better to keep the talent you have than lay off and have to rehire non-trained workers 6-12 months later. If it's a foreseeable temporary issue it's the best solution for all sides imho.

Bigger picture, we need to reign in spending in EVERY area.

"The House passed the Budget Control Act on August 1, 2011 by a vote of 269–161. 174 Republicans and 95 Democrats voted for it."

The republicans that voted against it felt it did not go far enough.

Republicans are the ones that want to enact austerity during a downturn. Genius.

"The House passed the Budget Control Act on August 1, 2011 by a vote of 269–161. 174 Republicans and 95 Democrats voted for it."

Republicans are the ones that want to enact austerity during a downturn. Genius.

You only say that because you're a Muslim Commie Nazi

So what are the other options on the table then? I want to hear a useful way to get this budget and fiscal mess under control. I am being serious, don't care what of the two parties of fail does it, but somebody needs to do something other than let the fed print money.

I have yet to see anybody provide this, outside of these cuts.

so spending money we don't have is now a good thing? I thought I heard a liberal politician rambling about it on cnn in the middle of the night, I just didn't think it was possible. The good thing is we can get so far in the hole that we can create even more welfare programs so we will all be taken care of at the end of the day.

So what are the other options on the table then? I want to hear a useful way to get this budget and fiscal mess under control. I am being serious, don't care what of the two parties of fail does it, but somebody needs to do something other than let the fed print money.

I have yet to see anybody provide this, outside of these cuts.

Ill get there in a few posts... But before I do, when you say "Printing money", does this mean that you are worried about a surplus of liquidity; that current policy is causing inflation?

so spending money we don't have is now a good thing?

When you say "we", who do you mean. Who do you think has the "money we don't have"?

The good thing is we can get so far in the hole that we can create even more welfare programs so we will all be taken care of at the end of the day.

You willful ignorance and lack of intellectual curiosity is going to make this fun for me.

You willful ignorance and lack of intellectual curiosity is going to make this fun for me.

This 10phone2 guy is part potato, I really don't think it's going to be as fun as you think it's going to be. He probably thinks economics is something you contract from a dirty sex partner.

Ill get there in a few posts... But before I do, when you say "Printing money", does this mean that you are worried about a surplus of liquidity; that current policy is causing inflation?

When you say "we", who do you mean. Who do you think has the "money we don't have"?

From what I understand increasing the money supply will raise the possibility of inflaction correct? This mixed with quantitative easing really can't be good.

I will be the first one to tell you that I am far from an expert, but there is a bunch going on right now that does not pass the sniff test to me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2012/12/08/ben-bernankes-quantitative-easing-the-monetary-policy-of-the-adolescent/

How can it be a good idea to not slash spending when we are not taking the same, or even close to the same amount in revenue? At some point you have to pay somebody for all this money you borrowed.

From what I understand increasing the money supply will raise the possibility of inflaction correct? This mixed with quantitative easing really can't be good.

I will be the first one to tell you that I am far from an expert, but there is a bunch going on right now that does not pass the sniff test to me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2012/12/08/ben-bernankes-quantitative-easing-the-monetary-policy-of-the-adolescent/

How can it be a good idea to not slash spending when we are not taking the same, or even close to the same amount in revenue? At some point you have to pay somebody for all this money you borrowed.

It doesn't pass the sniff test because people conflate macroeconomics with their own microeconomics ideals, along with the moral burdens of debt that go along with it. Debt is a function of economic solvency, a reaction to a stimulus. It should not be the catalyst to an equal and opposite reaction.

You are right that reasonable measures must be taken at some time. The time is absolutely not in a deflationary period with anemic growth. When people say "we are going to end up like Europe", they are absolutely right. If, and only if, we enact the irresponsible austerity measures that they were beholden to as a result of a common currency.

That article is so wrong in so many ways that it is better for you just to forget it than for me to refute it. That dude has less than an elementary understanding of fiduciary policy. Thus the op/ed

I'm glad that you feel special for a play on words and avoid statements at the same time. We all get the liberal stance, cutting spending will crash the economy and just printing money will fix everything. Makes perfectly good sense.

I'm glad that you feel special for a play on words and avoid statements at the same time. We all get the liberal stance, cutting spending will crash the economy and just printing money will fix everything. Makes perfectly good sense.

Answer the questions and we'll have a conversation where I make statements.

How is military spending cut today worse then the base closing of the 90's/early 2000s?

My honest big concern is that we will continue to allow the military to stay at current spending when we are no longer facing the same strain on the military as of 5 years ago.

Let's use the housing bubble that busted for example. According to your logic we should have allowed it to continue and kept everything status quo so no one will have a tough day. The problem is that the longer it was allowed to continue, the more lives were ruined by it years down the road.

Edited by 10phone2

Growing holding reserves would be necessary for surplus liquidity. Im not sure the money is even stopping between printing and payment (to many different debt holders). Do you believe that any monetary system could handle huge injections of currency into circulation without causing inflation? If you do, then why don't we just print 17 trillion real quick and take care of the National Debt with one swift swoop?

Are you a magician. I haven't seen such a blatant redirect since the last David Blaine show I caught.

Incase you weren't being facetious I'll spell it out for you.

We = The United States and it's citizens

Who has the "money we don't have" = Some of it we borrow, some of it we steal (from funded programs), and some of it we just print because we have borrowed and stole all we can.

Make it more interesting. I'll be your Huckleberry.

Hi Jordan, didn't we meet once or more through CDSM? You are a finance major, a financial adviser and I'm sure Edward Jones taught you a lot; I respect you plenty enough that you don't need to be a Huckleberry or Wyatt Earp.

I asked those "David Blaine" questions not to redirect the conversation but to establish a platform; a foundation for reasonable discourse. After all, a debate must be built on fact and reason. If an opponent doesn't know that the Fox news narrative that we are "Beholden to China" and they own a majority of debt is a gross misrepresentation of reality, then we aren't building argument on a bedrock of truth; right?

Just so you and I are clear too, when you say that "we steal (from funded programs)", what are you specifically referring to?

I'll address your notion that surplus liquidity relies on Fed holdings after your retort.

:lol:

Pretty sure we have, which may be why I had full confidence you could provide an intellectual debate. (Not sure if my desire for one last night was spurred by boredom, the few drinks I had, or my fear for humanity after reading every imstock2 thread)

*unrelated side note - Jones doesn't teach much on economics. (I was disappointed about that too)

You mean China doesn't hold all our debt?????? (Kidding, don't answer that. It's sad it needs pointed out, but I know it's necessary)

When I mentioned stealing from funded programs, a good example would be when we "borrow" from the Social Security Trust Fund.

This is where I might be over my head.....

Yes I believe SURPLUS liquidity relies on central bank holdings.

Like I said, more in the mood last night. Just kind of blah today. I didn't see you address the issue of inflation, and honestly that's what I'm most interested to get your view on.