Friend looking for entry level wrenching job

Franchi

Have a good friend looking for a entry level wrenching job somewhere in Columbus. Kid is good with his hands ( 20 or 21 years old ) and but no certs that I am aware of yet although he is working on it as he's in school for automative repair. He can do just about all entry level stuff and looking for steady work.

He's been to NTB and Goodyear as I told him to be knocking on doors and applying places but figured I'd check to see if CR has any suggestions as well where he could go. Thanks!

Biggest regret I have about my career is not going to a dealership to begin with, experienced guys to learn from, specialized training, and the opportunity to learn how to use the proper tools a lot of smaller shops don't have. If he's going to school for it most dealerships would provide the ability to start out and move up. Not to knock these guys who work in aftermarket shops but I always stuggled back then because i either didn't have someone to ask, couldn't get the right tool, didn't know what the right tool was, or they were too busy trying to make me a manager just because I had some mechanical ability.

Just my 2 cents, he can learn anywhere, I just think there is more to gain from a manufacturer.

Biggest regret I have about my career is not going to a dealership to begin with, experienced guys to learn from, specialized training, and the opportunity to learn how to use the proper tools a lot of smaller shops don't have. If he's going to school for it most dealerships would provide the ability to start out and move up. Not to knock these guys who work in aftermarket shops but I always stuggled back then because i either didn't have someone to ask, couldn't get the right tool, didn't know what the right tool was, or they were too busy trying to make me a manager just because I had some mechanical ability.

Just my 2 cents, he can learn anywhere, I just think there is more to gain from a manufacturer.

I agree, but when I got out of school all dealerships wanted 3 or more years shop experience. That's why I started with Midas, where I actually made twice as much than being a Toyota tech.

It's hard to get in dealerships with no working exp. but always worth a shot.

I agree, but when I got out of school all dealerships wanted 3 or more years shop experience. That's why I started with Midas, where I actually made twice as much than being a Toyota tech.

It's hard to get in dealerships with no working exp. but always worth a shot.

That's what he was told basically from what he said at the few dealerships he applied for but I told him just to keep applying at various places and will get in somewhere sooner or later, just takes persistence. This is what he wants to do long term and learn from the ground up.

Appreciate the insight so far, gave his contact info to those who asked. Thanks CR!

Would you mind if i used your name, Doc will vouch I'm a good guy and i've got 2 years at Germain Toyota and 2 years of Lincoln Tech as well as a year at Northwest Career center. I've also worked with Rocky for a short period.