How much do most car dealers charge for documents fees??

mustangman2011

I read a very, very long thread about this on TCL. There is a state limit that these dealerships are NOT to exceed. Some dealerships try and pull a fast one sometimes because people don't know this, but I believe OUR state max is $250 like Josh said.

Yep it is 250! I have never had a deal where we don't do $250. Friend and family save on the car or and the warranties they want. Way easier to get get those things then deal with Doc fees. What are you looking to buy? There are a lot of us that sell cars of you need something.

Negotiate all you want but it's something that we don't change for any deal. Dealerships must be consistent in what they charge. If we charge 10 people $250 and 5 $75, the people we charged $250 can sue if they feel the urge and found an attorney willing to do it. Either negotiate a $250 less selling price or EAD. Not worth us getting in a compliance suit over. I've paid it every time I've bought a car. I also pencil my own deal :)

Negotiate all you want but it's something that we don't change for any deal. Dealerships must be consistent in what they charge. If we charge 10 people $250 and 5 $75, the people we charged $250 can sue if they feel the urge and found an attorney willing to do it. Either negotiate a $250 less selling price or EAD. Not worth us getting in a compliance suit over. I've paid it every time I've bought a car. I also pencil my own deal :)

You can tell people to eat a dick all you want. Classy BTW; makes want to run to your lot. :)

Time and time again I've been to what the dealer's pawn claims is the last offer, and still paid less for the over-inflated doc fee.

Your lawsuits are of no concern to me. You can write it up however you need to after I'm gone, but I've never paid anywhere approaching $250 and never will. BTW, this "fee" is reason 103 why private party > dealerships.

What he's saying is still pertinent and correct. In order to ensure all customers are "treated similarly" dealers don't change their doc fees. When you negotiate even if you get them to "remove" the fee they will just reduce the purchase price by $250 and keep the doc fee on the bill of sale.

You can tell people to eat a dick all you want. Classy BTW; makes want to run to your lot. :)

Time and time again I've been to what the dealer's pawn claims is the last offer, and still paid less for the over-inflated doc fee.

Your lawsuits are of no concern to me. You can write it up however you need to after I'm gone, but I've never paid anywhere approaching $250 and never will. BTW, this "fee" is reason 103 why private party > dealerships.

Having dealt with me on your Grand Prix that I bought, you should know that I'm easy to deal with. Our new car department (the one that I oversee) sells more Buick/GMC product that any other dealer in the state. We do it by being fair and transparent. Educated shoppers are my best friend. If I have the ability to discount the doc fee out of the selling price and it's a bone of contention for the deal, I'll do it. It's when uneducated people act like hard asses that I'll tell them it's their right to shop somewhere for a better deal. BTW I'd never use the word "Eat a dick" to a customer. Also, I can't change the buyers order after you leave, you have sign it and that's the way it stands.

I was charged 250, and they lowered the sale price.

This

What he's saying is still pertinent and correct. In order to ensure all customers are "treated similarly" dealers don't change their doc fees. When you negotiate even if you get them to "remove" the fee they will just reduce the purchase price by $250 and keep the doc fee on the bill of sale.

This

I tell them to write the bill anyway they want, but my out the door offer stands. I never have a problem walking.

Ding Ding Ding

It's pretty much been covered but...

Ohio state maximum documentation fee is the LESSER of $250 or 10% of the sales price. So for a $1000 car the max fee is $100.

It is also correct that any dealer that charges someone a fee other than the "standard fee" that they usually charge (other than such fees subvented via manufacturers ie. X-plan) then they open themselves up for discrimination suits.

At the dealers discretion they can however lower the sales price, basically eliminating the fee, albeit out of dealer proceeds. The buyers order will still contain the fee, but the out the door price would reflect the discount.

It's pretty much been covered but...

Ohio state maximum documentation fee is the LESSER of $250 or 10% of the sales price. So for a $1000 car the max fee is $100.

It is also correct that any dealer that charges someone a fee other than the "standard fee" that they usually charge (other than such fees subvented via manufacturers ie. X-plan) then they open themselves up for discrimination suits.

At the dealers discretion they can however lower the sales price, basically eliminating the fee, albeit out of dealer proceeds. The buyers order will still contain the fee, but the out the door price would reflect the discount.

Also to add. The Documentation fee is non taxable. I charge 250 for all finance deals and 10% for all cash sales up to max of 250.

As for negotiating I have already figured the doc fees into any best offer. I dont argue back and forth.

The Documentation fee is non taxable.

Fees line of a DMS screen(depending on the DMS) will lump them all together. Doc fee is taxable. Title, license, registration fees, are not taxable as they are state fees and go to the BMV.