Input on Gun buying please

Diamonds

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SR1911 is nice, but what are your intentions?

There is no rail for a light (home defense?).

It is big and heavy (concealed carry).

Just target shooting (.45 is pricey).

some things to think about.

a 1911 is not as care-free as a glock or XD, for example. These don't care if you maintain them or not. Drop the glock? It will look better.

If you like ruger you can get a p-series auto-loader, with the money you save you can buy a few hundred rounds.

I just don't typically recommend a 1911 for a new pistol owner. That said, I'm sure you will be fine with a little common sense. Similar to buying a camaro for a first car.

*Does Vance's even have a SR1911 in stock? They're pretty elusive.

The SR1911 is nice, but what are your intentions?

There is no rail for a light (home defense?).

It is big and heavy (concealed carry).

Just target shooting (.45 is pricey).

some things to think about.

a 1911 is not as care-free as a glock or XD, for example. These don't care if you maintain them or not. Drop the glock? It will look better.

If you like ruger you can get a p-series auto-loader, with the money you save you can buy a few hundred rounds.

I just don't typically recommend a 1911 for a new pistol owner. That said, I'm sure you will be fine with a little common sense. Similar to buying a camaro for a first car.

*Does Vance's even have a SR1911 in stock? They're pretty elusive.

what would you rec?

I like the KP89DC... what do you think about that gun?

It is largely dependent on your preferences and intended uses. I do not have experience with the P89 but I had a P95 that was trouble-free and a nice shooter. These are about as basic as a polymer pistol can come. It is somewhat large/heavy and the grip is unremarkable in my opinion.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Ruger P series, Springfield XD, Glock, or S&W M&P.

If features are all of similar appeal, go to a shop and hold a few. Maybe something will jump out as a like or dislike.

Have you had a chance to shoot anything yet? Is it just for plinking? Self-defense in the home? Concealed carry?

Mr. Pilot asked all the right stuff. What are you wanting out of the gun? What do you want to use it for? Will this be your only handgun?

Knowing your Q's about the P90... it's a great gun, but you wouldn't want to tuck it down your pants everyday. :) I do, however, feel quite comfy with the .45 and .38 within reach every night.

Ha, you beat me by 1 minute.

:)

I will not be carrying this gun. I may buy a compact in the future. I want to make shooting a thing I do on weekends sporadically. I am also going to buy a shotgun. My plan is to buy 2 handguns and 1 shotgun in the next year before its too late. I would probably take this gun to the range one time per month.

For a home defense pistol I would choose a .45 caliber in a full frame. I would rule out the 1911 mainly due to capacity. I'm going to assume cost (firearm and ammunition) is not a concern.

I would recommend one of these with their most common complaint (my opinion) in parenthesis:

Glock 21 (no manual safety)

S&W M&P45 (lowest capacity of these at 10+1)

XD/XDM 4.5 (backstrap safety)

I could go into more detail on my preferences, but I don't want to influence yours too heavily.

Most importantly, choose the pistol you are most comfortable with and/or you shoot the best.

Some people hate auto-loaders and prefer the simplicity of a revolver. Other shooters cannot handle the higher recoil of some of the more powerful loads and prefer a smaller round. Maybe the Glock just doesn't feel right in your hand. These are preferences we can't help with but should be essential to your decision.

Edited by Street Pilot
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
If this is your first gun, Id get a 9mm. Cheap to shoot, still plenty of stopping power, more ammo capacity.

Glock 17

M&P 9mm

Springfield 9mm XDM

Sig P226

I LOVE my IWI Baby Eagle 9MM.

+1

has anyone shot the XDM competition? how'd you like it?

Yes, 5.25 is a great gun!

has anyone shot the XDM competition? how'd you like it?

I have the XDM Competition 5.25 40. It is a great gun. I haven't shot the 45 Competition but would imagine it being about the same. I like it enough that I bought the XDS 3.3 45 as my compact. I've only shot about 30 rounds though it and need more practice.

SR45 looks nice for sub $500

Ammo is aspensive. I was thinking if he wants to spend much time at the range 9mm would be a better option. Just a thought though.

FN is maybe something to look at as well as CZ.

FNP9 > *

Yes, even over my precious Ruger. :)

The powder room does have some firearms for rent. Ohio Valley Outdoors has a nice selection to rent from as well.

FN is maybe something to look at as well as CZ.

+1 on the CZ. For what you are looking to use it for, look at the CZ 75B or BD, B for safety or BD for decocker.

-D

Ammo is aspensive. I was thinking if he wants to spend much time at the range 9mm would be a better option. Just a thought though.

FNP9 > *

Yes, even over my precious Ruger. :)

Well right now you can't find 9mms, if you want them, they are at the same price as 45s. This ammo shortage is rediculous. Luckily I was able to get my hands on 2k rounds 9mm 2 weeks ago for pretty cheap. Thank you Aimsurplus!! :)

Well for a 9mm, my favorite is the H&K USP9. I also like the FNX-9/FNP-9, Sig P229/226, the Beretta M9. And as you can tell, I like hammer fired DA/SA guns. Only striker fired 9mm gun I like the the M&P9. Shoots great other than the gritty trigger. But that can be fixed by the Apex kit.