LS1 cooling system questions

On3Performance

This is more directed toward a 4.8 truck I have in the shop right now. On that system, it has the overflow tank tied in with one of the ports that goes to the heater core. Hopefully someone is familiar with this as its somewhat hard to explain for me. Anyways what Im wanting to do is delete the stock tank and just run a more compact overflow out of the way

This is a photo from Anthonys car and the ports that Im talking about:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/on3p/anthonyscar_zpsa3e9bd57.png

On the ls1 car application the two lines just tie directly to the heater core and thats what Im wanting to do on the truck.

My thoughts is to run it similar to this, just run the two lines out of the pump to the heater core. Then just make a hard upper radiator hose with a fill port in it and then run a overflow from the universal fill port.

Im not an expert on cooling systems and wanted to just run this past a few people to see if this is a workable setup or if there would be issues? Any info would be great

Since the truck has a pressurized "overflow" tank technically it's refered to as a surge tank. Changing it would require duplicating an f-body system. The key to making it work right is to get the cap at the highest point in the system, hence why GM puts in up on the fender in the tank in the first place.