88 Chevy K1500 5.7l misfire

adamgh81

My 88 Chevy truck has been misfiring so I replaced the spark plugs and wires, but it still continues. Air filter is clean. Feels like the engine is bogging down when I touch the gas. Sometimes after driving it for 15 mins or so it will straighten out and run fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cap looks like an aftermarket one...its red. Is there any way to check it before I replace it with a new one? I've never dug into this before. Truck has 138,000 miles, I've put on about 17k on it in a few yrs. New starter and battery last month.

Cap looks like an aftermarket one...its red. Is there any way to check it before I replace it with a new one? I've never dug into this before. Truck has 138,000 miles, I've put on about 17k on it in a few yrs. New starter and battery last month.

The flat style caps can sometimes have burn marks on the inside, but because the leads cross inside the cap they can arc and be near impossible to see. I have seen some aftermarket caps be bad right out of the box, so obviously this is not a part I would recommend skimping on. Of course I may not be thinking back far enough and you may not even have that typ, in which case any corrosion on the terminals or burn marks require replacement. Just take it apart and inspect, see what it looks like. Ultimately it could be any number off things, but since you only did plugs and wires the cap and rotor is the next logical step to inspect.

It wouldn't have the flat cap, it would be the one with the leads coming out of the top. I would say cap and rotor, if that doesn't fix it check compression. Also putting a timing light on it wouldn't hurt. And double check your plug wires and make sure they are on right, not saying you don't know how to do plug wires, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

thats a tbi motor.... check the cap first and replace the fuel filter unless its pretty new....

you can also throw a scan tool on it and check the reading on the coolant temp sensor they can get stuck reading like -400 and never set a code and make it stay in cold enrichment all the time