TWC Video Streaming Site Throttling

Rally Pat

Why this has no relevance to TWC Internet:

173.194.55.0/24 you are blocking is Google Owned IP Space. This isn't anything TWC would be pushing to you. This is what Youtube/Google sends to you, as it is part of it's CDN Network.

206.111.0.0/16 you are blocking XO Communications owned IP Space.

This has 0 to do with TWC - what it has to do with is how the CDN load balances, and limits connections to Youtube. Youtube also does "JITD" - or Just In Time Video Delivery, which sends small amount of the video each time. This is to prevent people from starting a download and canceling it. They also do Dynamic Bandwidth Shaping on their videos.

I would imagine blocking the IP Space listed has more to do with blocking load balancers, etc... which perform these tasks, which is why you see a more fluid download.

• 2 weeks later...

Youtube is back to being a COMPLETE piece of shit for me. The past few days it has gotten progressively worse until now where it won't even load 360p videos more than about 30 seconds.

Apparently the fix is to setup DNS rules to where it strictly goes to the Youtube/Google content delivery servers. It's kind of complicated for my router, but I'll look into it... (a Youtube blackout could really help my productivity in the mean time lol)

Edit: I changed my router to use OpenDNS and Google DNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.222.220 ; 8.8.8.8 respectively) and it seems to have helped a little. The idea in using those is that it might not use Time Warner's / your ISPs preferred CDN providers and use something that actually works.

Edited by Furloaf