Fuel pump wiring

Richard Cranium

We're finally digging into the winter projects. The current project is the fuel pump. I grabbed a Walbro 255lph pump from IPS, and a hotwire kit from Racetronix. We have the pump in the bucket, but we noticed all the new wire is a substantially larger gauge than the stock wire than the intank harness. It looks like Racetronix uses 14 gauge teflon coated wire. Any ideas where I could put my hands on some more, so we can convert the rest of the harness? Or should I be looking at using a different wire? I can post pics if it would help, but it's your standard 4th gen F-body fuel pump assembly. I just don't like the idea of upgrading all the wiring and leaving a 6" length of stock wire.

Are you putting in a second pump yet?

The Racetronix kit should come with the section in the tank. If you need more they sell it. Seems reasonable enough though I'm sure other places have it.

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Cc=WIRE%2D05%2D14&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

edit: sorry I see you only bought the harness, not the complete kit.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=ITWH%2D022&eq=&Tp=

Edited by Cordell

I believe that 6" length of smaller diameter wire will cause an increase in resistance. An increase in resistance = decrease in Voltage reaching the pump (I believe). Personally i'd wire it all the same gauge (14). Edited by acklac7

I believe that 6" length of smaller diameter wire will cause an increase in resistance. An increase in resistance = decrease in Voltage reaching the pump (I believe). Personally i'd wire it all the same gauge (14).

QFT

I agree, wiring the pump with the same gauge all the way through is absolutely the right way to go. But, for the sake of making progress and being practical we're going to leave the stock in-tank harness for the moment so we can move ahead with the project. With the trap door in the trunk I can easily get the pump back out at a later date once I've sorted out how to manage the wiring. Right now it's holding us up and something that can be easily dealt with later.

Thanks for the links Scott, I did look at their site to see if they sold wire, but I must have not looked in the right places. I'll probably order wire from them once I figure out how to deal with the bulkhead.

I am going right now with a single pump. I had planned dual pumps until I found out the stock pressure regulator can't handle the flow back to the tank at idle. I may switch up to dual pumps since I scored a deal on an LT1 aeromotive adjustable pressure regulator. I haven't had a chance to do any research on whether it flows better than the stock regulator.

Got an email from Racetronix yesterday. They don't have a bulkhead harness for the LT1 f-body cars right now, but they expect to have one by this summer. We're going to put the pump back in with the stock bulkhead harness and I'll swap it out again when I get a new one from racetronix. Thanks for all the help guys. I hate to think this is all just temporary until I swap out the entire fuel system.