Volvo's new headlights

cybe

So if this breaks, do you just blind the fuck out of everyone until you get it fixed for $3500, so you drag your feet getting it done.

Not exactly. There is an automotive safety standard out there called ISO26262 which requires all systems to transition into a "safe state" when there is a failure. The "safe state" is defined by not only what could be hazardous to the occupants of the vehicle, but also any hazard to the people around the vehicle. I can almost guarantee you that if this system fails it would drop to low beams and appear no different than any other car on the road today.

And actually, this is exactly how most high beams work today, minus the extra shield that conceals the vehicle in front. Most new cars do not have high and low beams. They have one bulb in a projector that has a 'shield' (not sure of the technical term you'd want to use) on the top side that limits the height of the projected light. That's why projector beams have a very crisp line across the top. When you activate "high beams" a motor moves the 'shields' out of the way. If you stand next to a Caddy ATS of Chevy Volt you can hear them move when you toggle the stalk (and probably a lot of other cars too, but those at the two I've seen for myself).