someone please explain to me...

phil

Why every monkey with a starter wrench set thinks they can "build" a car. WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? i have seen recently 5-8 people talking about they are going to build a car. does that mean, design a new model of vehicle? do you mean oil change? does this mean swap motors? Im not the most technical savy car guy, i know this, i do the basics and thats all i have without instruction. I know my limits and either im too big of a pussy to do it myself, or people under-estimate the science behind "building" a motor. Im not talking about ims2, just people in general. so many blown projects will be had this summer.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a bitch, and you 'build' your own car, is it 'bitch made?'

The BUILT term is overused. Most people are just bolting-on parts from a catalog and claim that makes them better than someone who pays a mechanic. To me, 'built' means you designed and manufactured it, or some component of the vehicle.

depends on the context of the situation, what exactly are they saying? ....and what kind of cars?

perfect example:

guy totals his f body ( bone stock auto car with long tubes), buys car back, picks up a roller. NO MECHANICAL EXPIERENCE at all, wants to build a forged 347 with spray.... not building trans, stock rear end, his hill-jack friendwho works at a tire place is going to "build" him a car.

example b

honda guy, is " building" an integra. has a cage put in the car, and has aspirations of running 10s in a 5 sp, NA car, but yet still streetable... not saying impossibro, im saying its highly unfucking likely. now when asking how he plans to get there, seeing as his fastest time is a 14.6, he said i qoute " i saw it on you tube, and it doesnt look that hard" :wtf:

i just dont get it...

The BUILT term is overused. Most people are just bolting-on parts from a catalog and claim that makes them better than someone who pays a mechanic. To me, 'built' means you designed and manufactured it, or some component of the vehicle.

THIS

im not building a dsm, im putting a stock motor in with some more stock parts and a stock trans and hoping. nothing built about it, the only thing "built" is the turbo piping that leigh has to do. other than that, its a stock pile of junk, but someone else does the exact same thing, shits full built bro. :fuuuu:

honda guy, is " building" an integra. has a cage put in the car, and has aspirations of running 10s in a 5 sp, NA car, but yet still streetable... not saying impossibro, im saying its highly unfucking likely. now when asking how he plans to get there, seeing as his fastest time is a 14.6, he said i qoute " i saw it on you tube, and it doesnt look that hard" :wtf:

i just dont get it...

Whew thought you was talking about me for a minute lol. The term "Built not Bought" kinda annoys me, I mean its much smarter to buy something that is previously done from a financial point. For the money I have in my car, I honestly could've bought 2 of them and I know this, but when I started "building" my car I was making over $30 an hr, was single and had very minimal bills, so I was dumb lol. The only advantage and its a very small one in "building" a car yourself is you know the ends and outs of every thing on it. For instance my Integra, I know everything about it, the Civic we picked up that was put together by my friend, I am learning things about it everytime I tinker with it.

Whew thought you was talking about me for a minute lol. The term "Built not Bought" kinda annoys me, I mean its much smarter to buy something that is previously done from a financial point. For the money I have in my car, I honestly could've bought 2 of them and I know this, but when I started "building" my car I was making over $30 an hr, was single and had very minimal bills, so I was dumb lol. The only advantage and its a very small one in "building" a car yourself is you know the ends and outs of every thing on it. For instance my Integra, I know everything about it, the Civic we picked up that was put together by my friend, I am learning things about it everytime I tinker with it.

no, as shitty as your driving is, you actually do your own work, its evident in all your fb posts lol.

perfect example:

guy totals his f body ( bone stock auto car with long tubes), buys car back, picks up a roller. NO MECHANICAL EXPIERENCE at all, wants to build a forged 347 with spray.... not building trans, stock rear end, his hill-jack friendwho works at a tire place is going to "build" him a car.

example b

i just dont get it...

Yea, that's a bit optimistic.

I think it's just a figure of speech in most cases. Some say 'building up' a car. I think 'built not bought' refers to someone getting a bone stock (or close to) car and adding the perfect recipe of go-fast parts and such to make it what it is, instead of buying someone elses car that has already done all the modifications and you just need to buy it, put the key in, and race it.

I would not say i've 'built' my M3, but I've built it up to what it is today. I chose all the modifications that I wanted, as opposed to buying something that someone else put together. My car was mainly stock and I added the following:

TCK DA suspension with TCK Camber plates 400f/500r

APEX Arc-8 wheels with 255/40/17 Star Specs

10mm front spacers

Motion Motorsports Underpanel

Stromung cat-back exhaust

3.38 final drive diff

Shark Injector

28mm front sway bar

JB Racing LTW flywheel

Sachs Race Engineering Pressure plate

M5 Clutch disc

Short Shift kit

AKG DSSR

CDV Delete

RTAB Limiters

Poly FCAB’s

So, I didn't 'build' the car, but every single one of those modifications I bought and installed myself, and never paid someone else to do it.......

.....so not sure what you call that, but I think that is what some of these guys are referring to.....:shrug:

Yea, that's a bit optimistic.

I think it's just a figure of speech in most cases. Some say 'building up' a car. I think 'built not bought' refers to someone getting a bone stock (or close to) car and adding the perfect recipe of go-fast parts and such to make it what it is, instead of buying someone elses car that has already done all the modifications and you just need to buy it, put the key in, and race it.

I would not say i've 'built' my M3, but I've built it up to what it is today. I chose all the modifications that I wanted, as opposed to buying something that someone else put together. My car was mainly stock and I added the following:

TCK DA suspension with TCK Camber plates 400f/500r

APEX Arc-8 wheels with 255/40/17 Star Specs

10mm front spacers

Motion Motorsports Underpanel

Stromung cat-back exhaust

3.38 final drive diff

Shark Injector

28mm front sway bar

JB Racing LTW flywheel

Sachs Race Engineering Pressure plate

M5 Clutch disc

Short Shift kit

AKG DSSR

CDV Delete

RTAB Limiters

Poly FCAB’s

So, I didn't 'build' the car, but every single one of those modifications I bought and installed myself, and never paid someone else to do it.......

.....so not sure what you call that, but I think that is what some of these guys are referring to.....:shrug:

you modded the car, you put it together , you added upgrades. thats all fine and dandy. i respect that 100%, but you know what i meant and you understand the difference. some people dont know the difference.

the martin kid that goes to HD in the summer time, claims he builds cars, i think the most hes done is put a smaller pully on a sc cobra and all the sudden, he built that motor.

While I agree with what's said, I once built a plane out of Legos. I didn't form the Legos themselves but that plane was ballin'.

What about construction? I can "build" a house without forming all of the components. Would this term not be the same for "building" a vehicle?

Hey phil waz out cruzin to the local spot.

hardparked bitch started talkin to dem boyz at w castle

got to knowin what's good with that stok dsm?

ahaha know all about it now son

boy and me will go 3 way $100 each on the dash

aint no brakeboost of the break gonna save ya den

no prep just rolls 350+1 cubes up in that ass

you modded the car, you put it together , you added upgrades. thats all fine and dandy. i respect that 100%, but you know what i meant and you understand the difference. some people dont know the difference.

the martin kid that goes to HD in the summer time, claims he builds cars, i think the most hes done is put a smaller pully on a sc cobra and all the sudden, he built that motor.

understand and agree^^......real car guys know....I wouldn't get too worked up about it....

He has put motors together for cars (the crx he was driving, I know of a srt4 neon he had his hands on), but he claims that he does more than he actually does.

He has put motors together for cars (the crx he was driving, I know of a srt4 neon he had his hands on), but he claims that he does more than he actually does.

the blue srt that made less than the stock power after he "built" it :lol: i was around for that pile of fuckery. and the crx, that was a stock motor with an ebay turbo set up that never ran right? BUILT:yuno: