Ex-cop Crown Vic's?

zeitgeist57

After watching a couple Hot Rod "ROADKILL" episodes on YouTube this past weekend, I was looking at used '02-'05 Crown Vics for sale. NOT SRS, just having fun.

However, I noticed a couple of buy-here-pay-here dealers in Columbus (AutoTrader, Craigslist listings) that had multiple police-prepped Crown Vics (one had 4, the other had 10!) that were all around $3-5k and had 100-120k miles on them.

Dealer/Auction guys...are ex-cop cars reeeeeeally that plentiful/cheap at auction? I'm guessing that these guys are buying them for a song, seeing as how they are presumably getting so many of them, and making money at $3k a pop...:confused:

I said I wouldn't seriously buy one, but if a decently-maintained Crown Vic could be picked up for less than $2k...;)

Think about how much time they spend idleing. Think about how most law officers drive them during the day. They are super abused, and once "de-comissioned" have holes in the roof, trunk, interior panels, head liner, etc.

So yes, they are dirt cheap as most state owned cars are.

I am providing a valuable service to CR by considering all viable options in transportation. :thumbup:

How many times do you see a "Need-Reliable-Car-For-$1k" threads? maybe people will see this thread and get a very functional ride.

Keywords for searching: $1000, govdeals.com, cop, police-car, cheap, reliable. :)

So, you have self-elected to be a representative of CR junk-car purchase advocacy ...

I will admit to being an advocate for simple automotive transportation. Whilst admitting to being cheap, I prefer to consider myself an "old soul" who respects the earlier days of managing your vehicle's maintenance, and not expecting so much out of it.

However, if you're implying that I care about other people's "hard-luck" situations personally. You assume FAR TOO MUCH...:)

Think about how much time they spend idleing. Think about how most law officers drive them during the day. They are super abused, and once "de-comissioned" have holes in the roof, trunk, interior panels, head liner, etc.

So yes, they are dirt cheap as most state owned cars are.

Came here to post this.. 100-120k miles but a TON of idling hours. Thats how our airport auctions are like. All of our trucks and cars have a lot of idle hours.. And when we remove the light bars and center consoles there are holes everywhere.

They are beat to hell. They are over priced for what they are. They are not fast. They do not handle well. Many do not have back seats. There are holes inside and out from where items were mounted.

They do have a stiffer suspension, sway bars and I believe the Transmissions were a "little" beefier. I also believe the Drive Shafts are rated to 145mph (it's a big deal for some reason).

For $3k.... fuck no. For a teenage kid's first car for $1k.... sure!

KillJoy

They actually take much better car now days, Also keep in mind they do the intervals. So typically if you get one @ 100k your going to need to do the timing belt/chain (what ever maintence interval the car should have had done last wasn't done)

I'd get one and spray the shit out of it till she popped lol

Edited by Thorne

Just dont buy a crown vic from a large agency like Columbus. Look past the odometer and flip to the hour meter, thats a true test of its life. Most big agency's hot seat the cars (they run for three entire shifts). The cars are remarkable, they take the biggest beating and yet most still run good. Some back seats have seen more infectious diseases than I would care to know about and not sure Id buy one and transport people back there after its law enforcement days. Edited by TurboNova

i really want to build a sleeper out of one. gut the interior, since it's half gutted already, some stickies on the back, throw some cobra internals in there, and give it the boost or juice!

Every one I see on the freeway I want to drive them off the road because they slow traffic to a crawl around them.

http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0035/846o834250.jpg

They actually take much better car now days, Also keep in mind they do the intervals. So typically if you get one @ 100k your going to need to do the timing belt.

I'd get one and spray the shit out of it till she popped lol

where is the timing belt located on a 4.6l mod motor?

After watching a couple Hot Rod "ROADKILL" episodes on YouTube this past weekend, I was looking at used '02-'05 Crown Vics for sale. NOT SRS, just having fun.

However, I noticed a couple of buy-here-pay-here dealers in Columbus (AutoTrader, Craigslist listings) that had multiple police-prepped Crown Vics (one had 4, the other had 10!) that were all around $3-5k and had 100-120k miles on them.

Dealer/Auction guys...are ex-cop cars reeeeeeally that plentiful/cheap at auction? I'm guessing that these guys are buying them for a song, seeing as how they are presumably getting so many of them, and making money at $3k a pop...:confused:

I said I wouldn't seriously buy one, but if a decently-maintained Crown Vic could be picked up for less than $2k...;)

You can buy decent ones fairly cheap, OSP cars have 1 driver their whole life, as do many departments. I have bought some fairly decent ones for less than 3k.

One thing to keep in mind, idle hours, Ford claims each idle hour is equivalent to 33 miles, I have seen a lot with 10k idle hours and another 120 on the clock, buyer beware.

My old cop car look alike beater.............

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/rfrf5500/DTR%20%20shots/IMG_0366-2_zps02a58e3c.jpg

I always liked the p71 vic's. Would by one that was mint. But for the average car you see for sale heck no. Like previously stated even if low miles these cars idle pretty much 24hrs a day, been abuses, hit other cars-curbs-ect, no thanks Obama.

Yes, they are auctioned like crazzzzy. And yes, for pretty cheap.

Yes they are really cheap. I've had a couple of them and only cost $500. The ones i've had were minty just some seat wear from entering all the time. very good maintenance records as well. We just sold our last one that had 260k on the clock