Formula 1 2013 begins!

Draco-REX

Tonight at midnight the lights go green for P1 of race 1 of the 2013 Formula 1 Championship. Fox/Speed didn't renew their contract (typical) with the FIA so Formula 1 is now on NBS Sports (220 for DirecTV users). It looks like they're going to do it right as they are sticking to Speed's P1, Q1, Race schedule and even keeping most of the presenters. So hopefully we'll see US coverage of F1 continue with no interruption. :)

So P1 tonight at Midnight, Q1 tomorrow (Sat morning) 1:30a, and the race coverage starts at 2:00a Sat night (Sun Morning).

This is the last year of V8s, and the last year of normal aspiration in F1. Can't wait! :)

Tonight at midnight the lights go green for P1 of race 1 of the 2013 Formula 1 Championship. Fox/Speed didn't renew their contract (typical) with the FIA so Formula 1 is now on NBS Sports (220 for DirecTV users). It looks like they're going to do it right as they are sticking to Speed's P1, Q1, Race schedule and even keeping most of the presenters. So hopefully we'll see US coverage of F1 continue with no interruption. :)

So P1 tonight at Midnight, Q1 tomorrow (Sat morning) 1:30a, and the race coverage starts at 2:00a Sat night (Sun Morning).

This is the last year of V8s, and the last year of normal aspiration in F1. Can't wait! :)

Can't wait for the Turbo age to begin again!!!!!! Although, at their peak in the N/A age the V10's revving to 20k sounded amazing. Looking forward to the season, hopefully Vettel won't win the championship again, I'm rooting for Lotus and Kimi to win it all this year. 3rd place in the championship was definitely a good start for his first year back in F1.

A post I made on another forum:

This year should be good. It's Red Bull's championship to lose this year. The last year before the major technical shakeup, this is the time to do it. Next year, everyone will be struggling with reliability.

Vettel's the man. I like him as a driver and as a person, and I think he has a solid chance to go 4 in a row and grab the 3rd position of greatest driver from Prost.

Hammy's going to be too busy getting the Arrows up and running at the front again to challenge Vettel. So I'm not worried about him. It'll be good to see what he can do with that team.

Alonso is the man to take the title away from Vettel again this year. Ferrari seems like they've got a handle on what they've been doing wrong. If they can take that knowledge and turn it into doing things right, Alonso could be a dominant force this year. We'll see. It will take a lot to topple the smooth running machine that's RB, but Alonso and Ferrari could do it this year.

McLaren is too shaken with the loss of Hamilton and the upcoming loss of one of their top engineers. This year will be a battle with low morale for them. They need to buckle down, and work on getting their team running like a complete team, not a team with a spare tire. I think they should concentrate on that while perfecting their Power Unit for next year. They're going to have enough development pains with all the new regs to also deal with getting a team working again.

Further down the grid there's other opportunities. With McLaren shaken and Mercedes possibly trying to overreach their grasp, Lotus has a solid chance to get more podiums. With the win last year, I think they could get a good morale boost and possible get Kimi on the steps quickly in the season. The tough part will be RoGro. If he continues to be the bull in a china shop, he's going to spoil what could be a fantastic year for Lotus.

Lower teams have some daylight above them too. It will be interesting to see how things shake out now that the top teams are showing some cracks.

Good stuff is coming. This year could be one of the best of the V8 era. Here's hoping!

I think you're right that it's Alonso with the best chance to topple Vettel. I would like to see a change in the title this year but also hate Alonso...so I'm torn there. I think everyone agrees that having Kimi back is entertaining and we'd love to see a few wins out of him.

It'll be interesting to see what McLaren does and how the car works. Button is still a great driver and his ability to take car of the car and tires really suits today's racing strategy. Perez has consistently surprised people since showing up in F1 so he could prove an interesting force as well.

I'm hoping Kimi has some more help for Grojean this year. that kid is a turd. i wish they would have dumped his ass at the end of last season. he caused more wrecks directly and indirectly last year, than i think i have EVER seen.

i respect Alonso. he's a damn good driver. i hate F1 Ferrari, they're like the Yankees

i respect Alonso. he's a damn good driver. i hate F1 Ferrari, they're like the Yankees

^this. Ferrari may be struggling more the past few years, but they've become annoying (Schumacher era) since they used to win ALL the time.

Ferrari is looking good in practice.

Vettel laid down some fast runs though, so did Webber. But I never put too much weight on practice times. Too much testing goes on to really get a true feel of how everyone stacks up. Very often someone will dominate testing then get crushed in Q3.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I'm hoping Kimi has some more help for Grojean this year. that kid is a turd. i wish they would have dumped his ass at the end of last season. he caused more wrecks directly and indirectly last year, than i think i have EVER seen.

Alonso's a tool. He may be talented but he reminds me of JPM. Bitchy whiney little girl.

Does anyone know if they are going to air the rest of qualifying?

Great race. (spoilers below) The world feed needs to slap their sound guy around though. NBC Sports did a good job, and I love the "Formula 1 Non-Stop" commercial breaks. So much better than the usual breaks. I didn't even fast forward through them. Good idea.

Spoilers:

Great race. I was sure Vettel would take it, but I think the sudden degradation of the Super Softs and some not-quite-perfect timing of his stops are what tripped him up. Sutil, a great run for him, kinda screwed with the front-runners. Not sure how I feel about that.

I would have thought that RB would spend some time in the off season helping Webber with his starts. Guess not.

Awesome to see Kimi and Lotus at the top of the podium. They could be a real spoiler for this year.

Ferrari looked great. They look like the powerhouse they used to be.

McLaren are stumbling like I thought thy would. Again with stupid tire decisions in Quali.

Mercedes is looking good. McLaren should be afraid.

All that said, the season is just starting; anything can happen this year.