Lumpy lawn?

zeitgeist57

As a long-time homeowner in Central Ohio, I know that the soil tends to be high in clay content and not the best drainage. With that in mind, the front lawn in my '60s-built house is so lumpy that my kid trips running along, and I rattled a push mower to death last year.

Now that the freeze is over, I'd like to deal with this without resodding if possible. I have a few mature trees, but not all over the lawn. Is there anything I can do besides aerate and roll? I've aerated a couple of times in the past...didn't do anything to help the lumps.

If you have a tractor you can get one of the rollers from Home Depot to rent for a few bucks a day. Fill it up with water and just drive around your lawn. I've done mine about 2-3 times since I moved (13 years ago)when we had to reseed our entire back yard and it seemed to have helped.

edit - rent one of these - http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100007289?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=yard+roller&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100007289

I have a 60" roller, the heavier the better in Ohio. You are free to use it if you like.

Can I borrow one of your cars to tow it with too. :lolguy:

Interested in the best way to do this too, moved into our house this last summer and need to work on lawn improvement.

Can I borrow one of your cars to tow it with too. :lolguy:

Interested in the best way to do this too, moved into our house this last summer and need to start some lawn improvement.

As above; wait until it's nice and soggy (like, now...) and roll the shit out of it.