2.3 Turbo poootential?

99StockGT

Anyone built one of these up into something much beyond stock? Finding myself with a new project car, or 2, and considering doing some kind of build up of at least one of them.

Of course I am speaking of the 2.3 Turbo ford motor. Details to come.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than you can afford pal... GMC.

Beyond funny but actually true. Especially since I don't have Typhoon its a Syclone ;) Ain't goin no where other than my garage and a car show or two any time soon. Still less than 20k origional miles ..

12.5 on the stock turbo? Good lawd! Any idea what kind of supporting mods were on it? This is going to be my venture into something forced induction and this "low tech" but it seems like there's certainly potential.

12.5 on the stock turbo? Good lawd! Any idea what kind of supporting mods were on it? This is going to be my venture into something forced induction and this "low tech" but it seems like there's certainly potential.

IIRC pretty much just ignition, injectors and a more free flowing exhaust. Said he was constantly destroying turbo's but it was a bracket car and it was dialed in deadly accurate. Something like 25PSI

Stock Turbos have huge heat issues from what I can see and the battery tends to get cooked from the heat. Not the mention the turbo sits about an inch from the exhaust which doesn't help keeping things cool so I can certainly see that. Happen to recall MT/AT? Guessing he was running slicks to hook that thing up?

There are ones to find out there, usually however they have been used abused and turned into drag cars/drug runners. But hey, they are out there :) Maybe you could use one as a work truck and use it as a tax write off? ;)

At this point this is gonna be a "project lowbuck" what's the most fun/fast I can get out of the least amount of money....and hopefully not blow things up.

Best run I made was 12.9 on my stock turbo at 20 psi. Was on my way to 12.5 but my charge pipe blew off (clamp slipped). Blew the turbo about a month later. Haven't really messed with it since. 89 ranger 28x10.5 slicks, 8.8 posi rear w/ 3.73 gears, open 2.5 in exhaust bov and a boost controller everything else is stock from an 84 svo. They have the potential to be wicked fast with not much expence in parts.

Best run I made was 12.9 on my stock turbo at 20 psi. Was on my way to 12.5 but my charge pipe blew off (clamp slipped). Blew the turbo about a month later. Haven't really messed with it since. 89 ranger 28x10.5 slicks, 8.8 posi rear w/ 3.73 gears, open 2.5 in exhaust bov and a boost controller everything else is stock from an 84 svo. They have the potential to be wicked fast with not much expence in parts.

What were you running for spark/fuel or was this a stock setup beyond what you have listed here? Intercooler or no? Not really looking to turn this thing into a purpose built drag car but hopefully something still streetable/reliable that runs a 12.xx sounds good to me.

A bit extreme.... But I always liked this vid.

Guy at Kil-Kare a year or so ago, had a very junkyard setup. Exhaust tubing for IC piping, I think some used Diesel turbo, remember it had a coil pack setup off of a 96 Cobra. Boltons. Said he had less than $1000 in parts on it. Ran like 12.30's at 115. I was impressed.

Pop an HX35 on it, Cam and Roller Followers from a later Ranger, (IIRC) you can adapt a 89+ 5.0 ECU and MAF to the car, put a T5 in it. The stock trannys are garbage. Or get a bellhousing, and Flexplate from a mid-70's Pinto and put a C4 in it. Bring it to me for a Downpipe and Exhaust, and have have Brian Tune it for E85, Call it a Day.

Oh how I miss my Turbo Thunderbird....

http://pintopage.fordpinto.com/Poisonous%20Pinto.htm

http://www.turboford.org/faq/joe.shtml

Oh I haev the terrible feeling this thing will be visiting you guys more than once and will be yet another excuse for me to spend vacation/house/boat/food money on go fast stuff.

Seems like a pretty decent power plant from what I'm reading just kind of a pain to cool at times. Now...which toy to work on first...

Pop an HX35 on it, Cam and Roller Followers from a later Ranger, (IIRC) you can adapt a 89+ 5.0 ECU and MAF to the car, put a T5 in it. The stock trannys are garbage. Or get a bellhousing, and Flexplate from a mid-70's Pinto and put a C4 in it. Bring it to me for a Downpipe and Exhaust, and have have Brian Tune it for E85, Call it a Day.

Oh how I miss my Turbo Thunderbird....

http://pintopage.fordpinto.com/Poisonous%20Pinto.htm

http://www.turboford.org/faq/joe.shtml

No shit. I had no idea you were joe morgan. I followed your car on turboford and you did have a kick ass ride.