Need input on a good street/autocross tire to run

Rustlestiltskin

I'm looking into getting a new set of tires this spring for the Miata and was wondering what would be a good set to use. I'll be using them for street and occasional autocross events. I'll be limited on size due to not many wide tires run in 15inch and I already have a lightweight set of 15's so i'm sticking with them. Also, what size tires do you guys suggest me running? The Miata has some power so I figured I'd try running 225's in the rear. Tires on it now are 205/50's.

Edit: Wheel size i'm running is 15x7

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

What width are the wheels? Going too wide can be negative (can develop shimmy on the wheel and reduce feedback and overall grip)

IMO the Dunlop ZIIs are the best tire for you. The RS3s are awesome in the heat but lack grip in the cold. However the fastest driver yesterday ran on RS3s so my statement is invalid. He was on a lower HP car though...so still consider this option.

The BFG Rivals are suppose to be a really good tire, but BFG said themselves that the tire is not meant for wet.

What width are the wheels? Going too wide can be negative (can develop shimmy on the wheel and reduce feedback and overall grip)

IMO the Dunlop ZIIs are the best tire for you. The RS3s are awesome in the heat but lack grip in the cold. However the fastest driver yesterday ran on RS3s so my statement is invalid. He was on a lower HP car though...so still consider this option.

The BFG Rivals are suppose to be a really good tire, but BFG said themselves that the tire is not meant for wet.

15x7. Thank you for the opinions zoo far everyone.

RS3, AD08 or RE-11 if it has to truly function as a street tire

Rival or NT-01 if wet doesn't apply.

Not sure where NT-01 falls in the rule book though for auto-x

It is under 180 treadwear, so it considered an R-Comp and subjects you to Stock Class rules. (or Prepared depending on mods)

You do not want staggered tires on a Miata. Stick with a good set of 205-50s, I had some good runs with R888s last year, but they only lasted a season and I didn't have a lot of miles on them. Not sure how much mileage you want out of them, or if they see a lot of weather but those would be other factors to consider. If you'll mostly be street driving and doing some autox I'd stick with a performance summer tire, a lightweight Miata will have trouble getting heat in a competition tire.

You do not want staggered tires on a Miata. Stick with a good set of 205-50s, I had some good runs with R888s last year, but they only lasted a season and I didn't have a lot of miles on them. Not sure how much mileage you want out of them, or if they see a lot of weather but those would be other factors to consider. If you'll mostly be street driving and doing some autox I'd stick with a performance summer tire, a lightweight Miata will have trouble getting heat in a competition tire.

205/50's ? Thought it might be a little too narrow considering the miata is putting down about 230wrhp on the low boost setting. You'd know more about what tire size I should run anyways since you've done autocross events in both miata's and I haven't done any yet :( If you still think 205's are still good for this car even at that power/weight level then i'll pick up a set. Thanks for the input Scott.

205/50's ? Thought it might be a little too narrow considering the miata is putting down about 230wrhp on the low boost setting. You'd know more about what tire size I should run anyways since you've done autocross events in both miata's and I haven't done any yet :( If you still think 205's are still good for this car even at that power/weight level then i'll pick up a set. Thanks for the input Scott.

I'm sure you'd do better with 225s but that'll limit your tire choices, and those really need to be on a wider rim to maximize the contact patch, like a 15x8. The car will not perform very well with staggered tires, so if you do go to 225s put them all the way around.

I'm sure you'd do better with 225s but that'll limit your tire choices, and those really need to be on a wider rim to maximize the contact patch, like a 15x8. The car will not perform very well with staggered tires, so if you do go to 225s put them all the way around.

Yea i'm limited to what size tire for sure with a 15x7. So i'll probably just run a 205 or 215 all around the car for now. Then snatch up a set of wider lightweight wheels for later. Thanks again.

Did you turbo the blue one you had, or you bought a newer one that is turbo?

I'm assuming the latter.

I picked up a Built turbo'd 93 that has TONS of good parts on it and that the car's been setup for autocross ;)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj288/Dubs740/4402E5B7-5878-4225-8C3A-2AEB90108A17-7238-0000039FF0150DE1_zpsf4a8d42d.jpg

I still have a set of nitto's in 205/50/15 if you still want em. Idk how good they are for your application, but they are almost new and free.

Forgot all about those! PM me your number again and i'll get with you soon. Thanks :thumb up: Can always use an extra set of tires.

On a 15x7 for a Miata, stick with the 205. Sounds like you've got too much power for the wheel/tire combo though. The new Direzza ZII (starspec ZI successor) is supposedly better than the tire it replaced in both wet and dry grip, and that was the go-to tire for wet autocrosses. If they make the ZII in your sizes, they would have my vote.

On a 15x7 for a Miata, stick with the 205. Sounds like you've got too much power for the wheel/tire combo though. The new Direzza ZII (starspec ZI successor) is supposedly better than the tire it replaced in both wet and dry grip, and that was the go-to tire for wet autocrosses. If they make the ZII in your sizes, they would have my vote.

I'll check them out. Yea, a 7inch wheel sucks when you got some sort of power. I'm half tempted to just sell these wheels and get a wider wheel/tire setup. Just weighing my options at this point.