Quick window tint question

Last_in

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limo and tinted windshield(35%) FTW! Basically gets rid of the need for sunglasses while driving.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Jags4life/55e8ba1a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Jags4life/e4575497.jpg

Is that legal in FL? And doesn't it reduce visability at night?

No, it's not. I believe legal on front windows is 23%...? And of course, not legal on windshield either. As far as visibility goes, I hardly notice a difference at night. It not only cuts down on sun glare, but also cuts down on the glare from oncoming cars at night.

The good film (Pinnacle) tint isn't 50% it's 54% but they call it 50. So with 1-3% factory tint you Are at most 51% of light transmittance. You have 1% to give.

Specs (first column is light transmittance):

http://formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Incorrect, factory tint on front windows (the only windows Ohio has a law on besides the windshield) is 1-3%.

And I hardly think my front windows look dirty:

http://www.columbusdiscgolf.com/IMAGES/DSC_3299.JPG

That is Pinnacle series 50 front, and 35 rear.

RICER RICER

No, it's not. I believe legal on front windows is 23%...? And of course, not legal on windshield either. As far as visibility goes, I hardly notice a difference at night. It not only cuts down on sun glare, but also cuts down on the glare from oncoming cars at night.

I had 50% front windshield on my old car and it was difficult at night with low-lit/visibility situations...and I had xenon lights.

It was nice during the day...at night it was difficult sometimes.

I had 50% front windshield on my old car and it was difficult at night with low-lit/visibility situations...and I had xenon lights.

It was nice during the day...at night it was difficult sometimes.

At 19 YO I had 50% on a windshield of an 88 Fiero GT and 20 on sides, at night sometimes I had to roll the window down to see pedestrians on the street trying to cross. Never did that again mainly because Westerville threw my ass in court after the 3rd ticket and sent a bailiff out to inspect my car that the TINT WAS REMOVED.

At 40 seconds you'll see him put a meter on a factory window. It reads 75%

And factory windows again that measure 77%

I stand corrected, I was always told and read that factory glass was a low percentage. Way lower than 28%.

I dont see specific percentages listed???

4513.241 Using tinted glass and other vision obscuring materials.

(A) The director of public safety, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules governing the use of tinted glass, and the use of transparent, nontransparent, translucent, and reflectorized materials in or on motor vehicle windshields, side windows, sidewings, and rear windows that prevent a person of normal vision looking into the motor vehicle from seeing or identifying persons or objects inside the motor vehicle.

(B) The rules adopted under this section may provide for persons who meet either of the following qualifications:

(1) On November 11, 1994, or the effective date of any rule adopted under this section, own a motor vehicle that does not conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section;

(2) Establish residency in this state and are required to register a motor vehicle that does not conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

© No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is registered in this state unless the motor vehicle conforms to the requirements of this section and of any applicable rule adopted under this section.

(D) No person shall install in or on any motor vehicle, any glass or other material that fails to conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

(E)

(1) No used motor vehicle dealer or new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code, shall sell any motor vehicle that fails to conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

(2) No manufacturer, remanufacturer, or distributor, as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code, shall provide to a motor vehicle dealer licensed under Chapter 4517. of the Revised Code or to any other person, a motor vehicle that fails to conform to the requirements of this section or of any rule adopted under this section.

(F) No reflectorized materials shall be permitted upon or in any front windshield, side windows, sidewings, or rear window.

(G) This section does not apply to the manufacturer's tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by federal motor vehicle safety standard number two hundred five.

(H) With regard to any side window behind a driver's seat or any rear window other than any window on an emergency door, this section does not apply to any school bus used to transport a child with disabilities pursuant to Chapter 3323. of the Revised Code, whom it is impossible or impractical to transport by regular school bus in the course of regular route transportation provided by a school district. As used in this division, "child with disabilities" has the same meaning as in section 3323.01 of the Revised Code.

(I) This section does not apply to any school bus that is to be sold and operated outside this state.

(J)

(1) This section and the rules adopted under it do not apply to a motor vehicle used by a law enforcement agency under either of the following circumstances:

(a) The vehicle does not have distinctive markings of a law enforcement vehicle but is operated by or on behalf of the law enforcement agency in an authorized investigation or other activity requiring that the presence and identity of the vehicle occupants be undisclosed.

(b) The vehicle primarily is used by the law enforcement canine unit for transporting a police dog.

(2) As used in this division, "law enforcement agency" means a police department, the office of a sheriff, the state highway patrol, a county prosecuting attorney, or a federal, state, or local governmental body that enforces criminal laws and that has employees who have a statutory power of arrest.

(K)

(1) Whoever violates division ©, (E)(2), or (F) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

(2) Whoever violates division (E)(1) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor if the dealer or the dealer's agent knew of the nonconformity at the time of sale.

(3)

(a) Whoever violates division (D) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree, except that an organization may not be convicted unless the act of installation was authorized by the board of directors, trustees, partners, or by a high managerial officer acting on behalf of the organization, and installation was performed by an employee of the organization acting within the scope of the person's employment.

(b) In addition to any other penalty imposed under this section, whoever violates division (D) of this section is liable in a civil action to the owner of a motor vehicle on which was installed the nonconforming glass or material for any damages incurred by that person as a result of the installation of the nonconforming glass or material, costs of maintaining the civil action, and attorney fees.

© In addition to any other penalty imposed under this section, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (D) of this section and the offender is a motor vehicle repair operator registered under Chapter 4775. of the Revised Code or a motor vehicle dealer licensed under Chapter 4517. of the Revised Code, whoever violates division (D) of this section is subject to a registration or license suspension, as applicable, for a period of not more than one hundred eighty days.

(L)

(1) Every county court judge, mayor of a mayor's court, and clerk of a court of record shall keep a full record of every case in which a person is charged with any violation of this section. If a person is convicted of or forfeits bail in relation to a violation of division (D) of this section, the county court judge, mayor of a mayor's court, or clerk, within ten days after the conviction or bail forfeiture, shall prepare and immediately forward to the motor vehicle repair board and the motor vehicle dealers board, an abstract, certified by the preparer to be true and correct, of the court record covering the case in which the person was convicted or forfeited bail.

(2) The motor vehicle repair board and the motor vehicle dealers board each shall keep and maintain all abstracts received under this section. Within ten days after receipt of an abstract, each board, respectively, shall determine whether the person named in the abstract is registered or licensed with the board and, if the person is so registered or licensed, shall proceed in accordance with section 4775.09 or 4517.33 of the Revised Code, as applicable, and determine whether the person's registration or license is to be suspended for a period of not more than one hundred eighty days.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.168,SB 114, §1, eff. 3/22/2013.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007

50% on the front and 35% on the rear and 18%(IIRC) on the far back with black interior. Very hard to tell the difference.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/135151757/original.jpg

Driver Side Window was open in this pic

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/136052156/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/110434931/original.jpg

I dont see specific percentages listed???

Wrong code

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4501-41-03

4501-41-03 Specifications.

(A) No person shall operate, on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this state with any sunscreening material, or other product or material which has the effect of making the windshield or windows nontransparent or would alter the windows' color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, unless the product or material satisfies one of the following exceptions:

(1) Any manufacturer's tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205" (FMVSS 205) in effect at the time of the manufacture of the motor vehicle until such standard is subsequently repealed or reduced. In "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205," (FMVSS 205) "manufacturer" means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment, including any person importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale. "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 205" (FMVSS), Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 571, can be obtained online at web site http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara.

(2) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the windshield when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such window, has a light transmittance of not less than seventy per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.

(3) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the side windows to the immediate right or left the driver, so long as such material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such windows, has a light transmittance of not less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.

(4) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to a window not otherwise listed in paragraphs (A)(1) through (A)(3) or (A)(5) of this rule, except that outside left and right rear view mirrors are required if the sunscreening material is applied to the rear window and the sunscreening material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing material of such window, has a light transmittance of less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent.

(5) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied along the top of the windshield and that does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top, is not regulated by this rule or this chapter.

(B) No person shall install in any motor vehicle any glass or other material that fails to conform to the specifications of this chapter.

© No used motor vehicle dealer or new motor vehicle dealer, as defined in section 4517.01 of the Revised Code, shall sell any motor vehicle that fails to conform to the specifications of this chapter.

(D) No reflectorized materials shall be permitted upon or in any front windshield, side windows, sidewings or rear window.

(E) No person shall operate on any highway or other public or private property open to the public for vehicular travel or parking, lease, or rent any motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this state that is equipped with privacy drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds unless the drapes, louvers, curtains or blinds are open and secure during vehicle operation.

(F) All motor vehicles, beginning with the 1990 model year, must be equipped with labels identifying sunscreening material. All sunscreening material must indicate the manufacturer's name and the percentage level of light transmission of the material permanently installed between the material and the surface to which the material is applied or affixed. Such label must be legible and must be placed in the lower left-hand corner of the vehicle window when viewed from the outside.

• Upvote 1

That windshield tint is definitely going to get you attention. In my experience if you run with no tint on the windshield (no extra) and at least have the front windows close to legal they leave you alone. Granted there are other factors. FYI...I got ticketed for tint in New Albany and they added a fine for tinted license plate covers. I got a check in the mail from them a few months later with a note that they did an audit and discovered that they had no ordinace against tinted plate covers. Got my 45 bucks back.

That windshield tint is definitely going to get you attention. In my experience if you run with no tint on the windshield (no extra) and at least have the front windows close to legal they leave you alone. Granted there are other factors. FYI...I got ticketed for tint in New Albany and they added a fine for tinted license plate covers. I got a check in the mail from them a few months later with a note that they did an audit and discovered that they had no ordinance against tinted plate covers. Got my 45 bucks back.

I keep the car exterior clean of other possible violations but I run Pinnacle 50% on the windshield and 20% on all the other glass. Been 2 years. Driven past Gahanna and New Albany's finest a million times. Never been stopped.

18597_398243590248764_1616936154_n.jpg60694_398243550248768_1983454987_n.jpg

It sucks but it's definitely about the find of car you have. If and when, I put that tint on the GT500, I won't get three blocks I'll bet.

Limo and tinted windshield(35%) FTW! Basically gets rid of the need for sunglasses while driving.

I had the exact same on my old truck, 35% on the windshield. The side window tint on that truck tested at 8% on the troopers meter. He didn't say a word about the windshield, though. :gabe:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz243/Dakota740408/1998%20Dakota%20Sport/100_2041.jpg

ok dumb scenario time but I have to ask...

say you get pulled over and you put all your windows down (or at least the front 2), what would the cop do exactly? make you roll them up? I am guessing they couldn't FORCE you to raise them.

Yes, they tell you to raise them, on they put you in the back of the cruiser and do it for you.

ok dumb scenario time but I have to ask...

say you get pulled over and you put all your windows down (or at least the front 2), what would the cop do exactly? make you roll them up? I am guessing they couldn't FORCE you to raise them.

I always put the front two down when I get pulled over, but yes, as said they ask you to roll it up so they can put the meter on it.

Funny thing is I have been pulled over twice(Now three times with the tint ticket) in the Cummins with that tint, one for a speeding ticket, the other for an illegal turn. They didn't say a word about the tint, but I did have both windows down even though it was kinda chilly out side, ha.

Yes, they tell you to raise them, on they put you in the back of the cruiser and do it for you.

True story ^

It makes them angry when you have an unmarked P/W relay cutoff switch too.

"No, none of my windows work" Best on sedans with rear windows that go down all the way. :gabe:

I keep the car exterior clean of other possible violations but I run Pinnacle 50% on the windshield and 20% on all the other glass. Been 2 years. Driven past Gahanna and New Albany's finest a million times. Never been stopped.

18597_398243590248764_1616936154_n.jpg60694_398243550248768_1983454987_n.jpg

It sucks but it's definitely about the find of car you have. If and when, I put that tint on the GT500, I won't get three blocks I'll bet.

where did you get your s4 done at? id like to do that 50% pinnacle on the front like yours. Thanks