Lawn Care...

FormulaMatt

Does anyone else on the board do fertilizer for yards?

I was having BrianZ06 do my yard and he was doing a FANTASTIC job. Unfortunately, he is no longer able to do the fertilizer part of the lawn care.

Anyone have any recommendations? I do not want Scott's or Trugreen as I have had negative experiences from both. I would prefer to help out someone here that knows what they are doing. I enjoy the rest of the lawn care maintenance, so it will only be the fertilizer services I will need.

Thanks!

sigh. every thread asking for help on CR and you get this.

I am looking for some yard help as well. anyone know someone that can aerate (sp?) and roll/flatten it? thanks.

Why not Just buy a tractor and get a pull behind?

Or on a more serious note, schmelmer im sure could do this for you.

Does anyone else on the board do fertilizer for yards?

I was having BrianZ06 do my yard and he was doing a FANTASTIC job. Unfortunately, he is no longer able to do the fertilizer part of the lawn care.

Anyone have any recommendations? I do not want Scott's or Trugreen as I have had negative experiences from both. I would prefer to help out someone here that knows what they are doing. I enjoy the rest of the lawn care maintenance, so it will only be the fertilizer services I will need.

Thanks!

I used to work for John Yager (Yager Landscaping) in Powell, he does fantastic work. Smaller, private business, does just about anything landscaping, from sod to hydraseed and everything in between. (614) 888-1155 if you'd like to get in contact with him

I know, Myself, am not trying to be a condescending ass about it. Its a honest serious question/suggestion to use one. .

Ive mentioned this before, my father in law was VP of Chemlawn and in sales and went to OSU for agronomy. To this day, he still uses a walk behind spreader at our house and a tow-behind at my sister in laws who has 5 acres.

Penningtons is good brand and you can walk into any store and they will tell you what you should be fertilizing with in the current time of the season.

right now, its feeding- next month its pre-treating for weeds

While i am not a fan of scotts- (their stuff is full of filler crap according to my FiL) Here is a decent "schedule" of what to do.

its not difficult.

If you need work done to fix certain areas, those are different questions that plenty of us can come forward and help with. (clover/oxalis, dead zones, when to seed.. yadda yadda) How short/long to grow your grass.

When to Feed Your Lawn

The most important thing you can do for your lawn is to feed it. A well-fed lawn is healthier, which means it has a better root system to combat heat, cold, drought, mowing, foot traffic and other stresses. While feeding your lawn once a year will improve its condition, feeding it four times a year will make it even healthier. If you put your lawn on the regular feeding schedule outlined below, it will look lush and green, and your neighbors will turn green with envy.

Early Spring (February - April)

Lawns wake up hungry in the spring. Feeding your lawn in the spring strengthens roots and gets it off to a good start before the heavy growing season. If you had crabgrass last year, apply a combination fertilizer with a pre-emergent to control it.

Late Spring (April - June)

Spring is lunch time for lawns. Your grass is busy and using up stored energy. That's why you want to supply the lawn with a feeding designed for this time of year. Unfortunately, broadleaf weeds are actively growing, too. Hit them and feed your lawn with a combination of fertilizer with broadleaf weed control (a "weed-n-feed").

» Find out more about Scotts Weed-n-Feed products

Summer (June - August)

Summer is tough on grass. Heat, drought, foot traffic, and insects stress it out. Feeding your lawn in the summer protects and strengthens it against these problems. Lawns in warm-season grass areas should be fed over the summer months as they grow steadily from spring to fall. If you see insects in your grass, use a feeding product that also contains insect control, such as Scotts® Turf Builder® with SummerGuard®.

Fall (September - November)

Fall brings back ideal conditions for your lawn. Cool nights, ample rainfall and morning dew are just about as good as it gets for grass. Now the lawn is ready to grow again, and is looking for the nutrients it needs to recover from summer damage. Some experts will say this is the single most important lawn feeding of the year. Apply your final feeding right before the winter months, when grass is prepping for a winter nap. This will strengthen roots and increase nitrogen storage for an early spring green up and a healthier lawn next year. Following a general program like this one should improve your lawn. For a more specific plan for your lawn, build your very own program at our Annual Lawn Care Program Builder

Why not get a spreader and do it yourself

1. Time: was paying $35 per application and to me, that's more than worth my time

2. Exposure: would rather limit my own exposure to playing around with chemicals

3. See #1

On a side note, if any of you who do your own fertilization check out a place called Truepointe off of 14th and Cassady. I've been buying there for 3 years now and it's a lot cheaper than buying from the big Box stores and cheaper than having Scotts etc doing it.

They supply a lot of companies and golf courses.

I am looking for some yard help as well. anyone know someone that can aerate (sp?) and roll/flatten it? thanks.

Because they don't understand the below theory on economics:

1. Time: was paying $35 per application and to me, that's more than worth my time

I wasn't busting chops..Some people enjoy going out on a Saturday morning and doing yard work.

2. Exposure: would rather limit my own exposure to playing around with chemicals

3. See #1

Got it

Call Anthony at Capital City Landscape, 614-588-2254