SCCA - OVR - Solo Points Event #1 Sunday, April 14 OSU Ackerman

bmwohio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw watching, come do it!

New tires are 1 paycheck out, so I'll have them on the new wheels within the next 2 weeks, then I should be good to come do it! :fuckyeah: I probably wouldn't do more than spin out on my current bald all season's LOL. Do I need to become an SCCA member first?

New tires are 1 paycheck out, so I'll have them on the new wheels within the next 2 weeks, then I should be good to come do it! :fuckyeah: I probably wouldn't do more than spin out on my current bald all season's LOL. Do I need to become an SCCA member first?

Not at all. Although, if you get hooked and want to do a lot of events, it makes financial sense to join for the event discounts.

Nope, just costs more as a non member.

Get the new tires, and give it a whirl. Loads of fun.

Sounds good, I'll plan on driving the next Ackerman or NTR event!

Not at all. Although, if you get hooked and want to do a lot of events, it makes financial sense to join for the event discounts.

Awesome! I'll probably still become a member for the financial reasons, thanks for the info!

Screw watching, come do it!
Need to try this once the car is under its own power. My new setup this year would help with this stuff i think. S4 front brakes, Koni coils, and new 034 adjustable sway bar might be fun.

Would love to have made it down to catch some of this but by the time the car show ended ya'll were already wrapping up. Turned out to be a great car day all around though...more importantly I hear there was a lil Blue German ford down there that was tearing thing up...anyone have any idea who the owner is? Would love to pick is brain on a project of mine :)

I could really tell the difference between my driving at the fun event for the first time EVER versus my driving after the driving school and in the points day 1.

Did anyone race in RTR? I noticed LOTS of mods that the SCCA lists as not RTR compliant but no one at tech called out. I'd like to make the same similar mods but feel dirty doing it.

So dirty, yet so good...

I could really tell the difference between my driving at the fun event for the first time EVER versus my driving after the driving school and in the points day 1.

Did anyone race in RTR? I noticed LOTS of mods that the SCCA lists as not RTR compliant but no one at tech called out. I'd like to make the same similar mods but feel dirty doing it.

So dirty, yet so good...

Just so you know, tech is not there to check compliance on a cars class, but to make sure it is safe to run. If you know that a car is not legal, you must take it upon yourself to formally protest. If we check every car for compliance we would be there all day checking cars.

So dirty, yet so good...

What mods were you seeing?

Just so you know, tech is not there to check compliance on a cars class, but to make sure it is safe to run. If you know that a car is not legal, you must take it upon yourself to formally protest. If we check every car for compliance we would be there all day checking cars.

+1 to above. Just be happy you don't need to pay a fee like Nationals :)

Best way to approach the situation IMO is to just inform the driver of the mis-classing, because most of the time that is what has occurred. RTR is going to be one of those classes where alot of new-comers are going to fall into automatically, and as some know Solo rules are hard to grasp when you're trying to just drive the car.

I think he means the Merkur XR4TI/Ford Sierra. It did look good out there.

Gordon and Chris (the owner) are crazy drivers. Gordo is an insane driver who usually loops and or cones iit on almost every run. Lol

Edited by M0nk3y

Results are up if you didn't know already......

Results page --> http://www.ovr-scca.org/_autocross/results.asp

a few pictures --> http://s64.photobucket.com/user/redludesh2/library/Auto-X%20OVR%20SCCA%2004-14-13?sort=2&page=1

many more pictures --> https://plus.google.com/photos/106913679852802708833/albums/5866838454071942641?banner=pwa

More pics will be uploaded later in the week.........

+2 to realizing that a class inspection would be a huge PIA and not practical. Thanks for that note as I hadn't considered it.

What mods were you seeing?

Mostly minor stuff, like lowering springs, coil-overs adjusted lower than stock, rear sway bars, strut braces, performance headers. Nothing that is adding monstrous power but after you lace a few mods together, you can start to eak out a pretty large advantage.

Best way to approach the situation IMO is to just inform the driver of the mis-classing, because most of the time that is what has occurred. RTR is going to be one of those classes where alot of new-comers are going to fall into automatically, and as some know Solo rules are hard to grasp when you're trying to just drive the car.

This is sage advice. Though, I'm also totally new so I could be in the wrong so I don't want to say anything. Also, I don't think I'm hugely competitive so I'd end up being that guy for nothing.

Just to recap: In RTR you can mod front sway bars, cat back exhausts, remove anything not affixed with a permanent fastener and change out to adjustable struts - yeah? Like I said, I could be totally off since I'm also new.

+2 to realizing that a class inspection would be a huge PIA and not practical. Thanks for that note as I hadn't considered it.

Mostly minor stuff, like lowering springs, coil-overs adjusted lower than stock, rear sway bars, strut braces, performance headers. Nothing that is adding monstrous power but after you lace a few mods together, you can start to eak out a pretty large advantage.

This is sage advice. Though, I'm also totally new so I could be in the wrong so I don't want to say anything. Also, I don't think I'm hugely competitive so I'd end up being that guy for nothing.

Just to recap: In RTR you can mod front sway bars, cat back exhausts, remove anything not affixed with a permanent fastener and change out to adjustable struts - yeah? Like I said, I could be totally off since I'm also new.

RTR is basically the same rules as stock, but without R-compound tires (Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, etc)

RTR = Road Tire Rear (wheel drive)

RTF = Road Tire Front (wheel drive)

RTA = Road Tire All (wheel drive)

Must run OEM springs

You can run Double adjustable dampers as long as you retain the stock spring perch and upper mount

Front OR rear sway bar may be replaced with different size, but not both

any cat back type exhaust that you want

any wheels AS LONG AS you retain diameter and width within +/- 6mm offset (spacers can be used to attain that offset)

....other than that everything else is illegal, coilovers, headers, etc are illiegal UNLESS it was a factory option (eg GT3 comes with coilovers)

If you know of any cars in serious question of the rules, let me know and I can take care of it. I know people :lolguy:

If you see a red BMW with what it appears to be more camber, don't worry. It is getting taken care of. Lol

Lets just say, someone with said red BMW thought camber shims were a legal mod because it was spec'ed within the repair manual.

However, it was spec'ed within the manual (camber correction bolts) to put the car within spec allowances, not out. Whoops.

Lets just say, said Red BMW liked running with -2.3* LOL