"Texas Soldier Arrested for ‘Rudely Displaying’ Weapon"

Otis Nice

"Others"?

I'd say "most".

My comment was I would not and others might. "Others" obviously means other people besides me.

I am extremely familiar with the area you describe, and have a hard time believing that every single person that passed you called the law. When I am in that area on weekends, I hear numerous people shooting all around.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the guy does a great job of painting himself to be a patriot. "I was walking deep in hill country with my junior woodchuck eagle scout son, just moments away from defending townspeople from cougar attacks." But he was on a paved road that was apparently patrolled by cops, so I'm not going to call him Daniel Boone just yet. It's not Applebee's, but if he was really someplace where he had to worry about wild threats, I don't think the cops would have found him. And remember, he says this is "halfway through" their 10 mile hike, so don't even try to say he was on his way back from cougartown.

Because animals avoid paved roadways. Fact.

you guys dont get it. he wasn't breaking any law. its just like open carry in ohio. you can open carry in ohio and a officer can not just come up and disarm you for no reason.

oh and feral hogs and cougars dont just stay out in the deep wilds. here even in ohio i have seen bobcat 100 yards from the back of a house i was working on. it wasn't deep in the wilderness. go for a walk or drive on the blue-ridge parkway. you will see bear and bear tracks. if i was on a hike somewhere that feral hog was known to be. i would want to be carrying something larger then a handgun too.

Yup. We have coyotes regularly about 50-100 yards from our cabin. Animals don't see the boundries we do. For all they know we're out of place.

Wuss.

:lol:

Who messes with feral hogs? Just walk away.

City boys. :dumb:

If I were to ever see an openly-carried gun/rifle I admit I'd get a little edgy, only because I never see it. I wouldn't call to cops or anything though, but I'm sure others around me would.

Agreed. I'd def take note.

I want them to respond as well.

And, when they respond, I want them to follow their own policies and not blatantly trample on multiple rights that you and I both share.

This.

I also don't think carrying an assault rifle around just to prove a point is the right move either.

Feral. Hogs. The end.

Maybe, but he said:

He's an activist. I'm not a mind reader but I'd put money on this being more about him making a point than worrying about feral pigs. We may have to agree to disagree here. We're also probably going to disagree about how effective this strategy is. As far as I'm concerned, the more stories I read like this, the more I think that people will eventually push for laws to make open carrying long guns illegal.

Also said he supports the LEOs in multiple ways. So which is it? One thing he says makes him a nut job and the other we right off?

Maybe you're right. Maybe he was making a point. He still wasn't doing it illegally.

In the end, while I don't condone walking around with a rifle in broad daylight unless you want to come off as a dumb ass extremist making a point, I also don't condone how the cops handled it.

If you're driving a modded car you come of as an immature illegal street racer. Makes cents.

Flip sides one more time, if I'm a cop am called out by Joe-Public to see what's up and I find a guy walking with an gun like that I'm not going to take many chances either. Not sure I would have even confronted the guy alone. My life as a cop > his life or even his precious bullshit rights at that point. Sue me or the city, I really wouldn't care as again, I'm first going to be concerned with my own safety.

This I don't disagree with. Putting myself in the LEOs shoes and receiving calls I'd be cautious as all get out.

I would not feel in the least bit comfortable with my family around some guy walking around with a rifle. There are way too many crazy fucks that have access to guns. Since I don't know him or his intentions I would call it in every time. I could be annoying some dude who is not breaking the law, or I could be saving lives. The fact that I could be saving lives puts me calling it in every time. I know its legal, but its not the wild west. Guns don't make people uncomfortable, not knowing the person with it makes people uncomfortable. I will probably never understand open carry... I don't want people knowing I'm armed (but then again I am from the city).

Rational points and I don't disagree. Here, a man walks out with a rifle and I take note. In C-bus if someone walked out with the same rifle (no matter what kind) I'd be on high alert and may call it in.

I see this from a lot of angles. Part of me thinks what if it was a 12 gauge and he was out rabbit hunting or something? Would the cops do that to someone walking with a shotgun to a spot to hunt?

Another part of me thinks that the world has changed and if some guy is walking down the road in front of my house with an AR strapped to him I would want the cops to stop and check him out. That same part thinks that if it were me with the gun I would have zero problems handing the firearm over to the cop and then answering whatever questions I needed to answer because if you're not breaking the law then you have nothing to worry about. Cops have a tough job.....you never know what wacko is walking around out there just looking for a reason and as the responding officer you could very well be today's reason. This all could've been easily avoided. Guy with the gun brought it on himself for the most part and is now just trying to crusade.

Also logical.

My comment was I would not and others might. "Others" obviously means other people besides me.

I am extremely familiar with the area you describe, and have a hard time believing that every single person that passed you called the law. When I am in that area on weekends, I hear numerous people shooting all around.

Shooting yes. Riding near the road with 2 guns exposed and people cutting through to get to 16 or Dresden, different story

I would not feel in the least bit comfortable with my family around some guy walking around with a rifle. There are way too many crazy fucks that have access to guns. Since I don't know him or his intentions I would call it in every time. I could be annoying some dude who is not breaking the law, or I could be saving lives. The fact that I could be saving lives puts me calling it in every time. I know its legal, but its not the wild west. Guns don't make people uncomfortable, not knowing the person with it makes people uncomfortable. I will probably never understand open carry... I don't want people knowing I'm armed (but then again I am from the city).

+1

I see someone in public with a gun like that and I will call the police every time. So would anyone with half a brain. If you're deep in the woods hunting, different story. People like this are activists/extremists. He's not carrying that fucking gun to shoot a feral pig. He's carrying it to make a point, to be noticed carrying a gun by the public, and to challenge anyone who tries to take away his rights.

For people like me, who are still somewhat on-the-fence regarding conceal-carry laws, this is a huge turnoff. Disagree with me all you want, but that is how the general public feels.

+1

I see someone in public with a gun like that and I will call the police every time. So would anyone with half a brain. If you're deep in the woods hunting, different story. People like this are activists/extremists. He's not carrying that fucking gun to shoot a feral pig. He's carrying it to make a point, to be noticed carrying a gun by the public, and to challenge anyone who tries to take away his rights.

For people like me, who are still somewhat on-the-fence regarding conceal-carry laws, this is a huge turnoff. Disagree with me all you want, but that is how the general public feels.

Fair, although I would refrain from saying "general public" if I were to say this myself. Not saying you shouldn't, just what I would say. "General public" in C-bus and "gen pub" in the hills somewhere are very different.

I admit I'm pro rights, but an AR15 strolling down the road would raise suspicion. A man strolling with his son? Doesn't seem like much of a threat. The AR though makes me think it could be as BC said.

For people like me, who are still somewhat on-the-fence regarding conceal-carry laws,

Can I ask you why you are on the fence about people who have passed a thorough background check, taken the mandated training, and completed all of the other fun steps we have to do carrying?

(Serious question) - does someone open carrying put you more at ease?

Can I ask you why you are on the fence about people who have passed a thorough background check, taken the mandated training, and completed all of the other fun steps we have to do carrying?

There are several possible reasons. Many people can pass all the necessary background checks, yet make a bad decision with a firearm in a very public place--putting others at risk. What are the chances of getting in a physical confrontation in your adult lifetime? If you carry all the time, you're going to pull out a firearm every time you feel physically threatened? Back down every time?

Automotive forums are a very skewed population. Virtually everyone on these forums is an advocate of conceal carry. Many carry on a regular basis. Yet when someone posts a video of some altercation/fight/etc on YouTube, there's NEVER agreement on what constitutes a threat substantial enough to use deadly force.

When I see a person with a gun in public I immediately have to make a decision based on gut instincts:: Is it for protection, or violence? Do I know they're carrying legally? Is the gun loaded? If they slip and fall, is the gun going to discharge? Crazy, i know--but i see some of the dumbest possible injuries in my line of work. Assuming someone with a gun knows how to use it and is going to be 100% responsible with it is an assumption I will never make, unless I know the person.

That being said, I own a shotgun for home defense, and am slowly getting into hunting. But the idea of walking around with a machine gun in public (just because you can) is asinine, and not helping any 'pro-gun' campaign.

That being said, I own a shotgun for home defense, and am slowly getting into hunting. But the idea of walking around with a machine gun in public (just because you can) is asinine, and not helping any 'pro-gun' campaign.

Quick question: Which of these is a machine gun?

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/18/521291_01_c93_semi_auto_rifle_cal_223_640.jpg

http://www6.davidsonsinc.com/dealers/prod_images/VC24EV-B.jpg

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/18/521291_01_c93_semi_auto_rifle_cal_223_640.jpg

http://www6.davidsonsinc.com/dealers/prod_images/VC24EV-B.jpg

I am by no means a gun expert. The first one certainly appears to be one. And I'm sure you're trying to make a point that the average American doesn't know what a machine gun is, so I imagine that the second gun has some sort of automatic firing capacity, right? Because the second one appears at first look, to be a non-auto rifle, but what do I know.

Hell, the first one could be a paintball gun, for all I know. The point is, when you see someone walking around in public with that, you're going to call it in. You're not going to go up and inspect to see what type of gun it is, or check the person's ccw papers, or inquire as to why they're carrying that type of gun

you're kinda buying into the rhetoric here. I'm pro gun and I've hunted my entire life. That being said.....background checks and training mean absolutely nothing to me. Some of the most irresponsible people I've ever ran into would have no problem passing background checks and training. What I look at more than anything are actions. Someone walking around in public with guns strapped to them worries me. Period. I know the type. I'll use this guy for example. You need an AR style rifle AND a .45 in a holster to go for a walk with your son? That's a flag for me immediately. That's someone trying to prove a point and has nothing to do with pigs or cougars. That's ego. He can justify it however he wants but your average person doesn't need a pistol on their hip and a rifle to go for a hike with their son.

Normally when people employ the tricky dicky "which gun is more dangerous" routine, which should be pretty well played out by this point, it's in response to someone who wants to ban certain weapons. "How can you ban assault rifles if you can't even define assault rifle, or tell what one is!" they cry with smug satisfaction. And as annoying as this tactic is, it's effective, and for that reason (among many), I've gone from pro-AWB to anti-AWB over the years. Job well done.

But Kirk isn't talking about banning anything, he's talking about people walking around in public with guns. So it doesn't really matter if it's an M-60 or an AR-15 or a Mini-14 with "tactical" mods or a BB gun or a movie prop. If it looks alarming, you probably shouldn't carry it around in public. Or if you do, you shouldn't be surprised if people are, you know, alarmed.

So I'm not sure what your goal here is. If Kirk or someone else sees some bloke walking around with what appears to be an M-16, and the bloke is walking towards what appears to be a movie theater, do you want him to pause and reflect on this moment? "Well that gun certainly looks like it has no business being near a movie theater, but M-16s are bust-fire and expensive to own, and from this distance almost indistinguishable from a civilian AR-15, which is only semi-auto and not truly an assault rifle per US Army definition. Or it could just be a Red Rider pump action BB gun that's dressed up to look like an M-16. My alarm is borne only out of ignorance, so I'll let that nice young chap carry about his business." Meanwhile, Kirk sees a guy with what appears to be a broom handle, but remembering this moment, he thinks to himself, "Well, it appears to be a broom handle, but it could also be a 1977 Ukrainian made Vetlshlyeva QC-64 assault broom handle, cleverly designed by the soviets to be the most deadly automatic weapon disguised as a piece of cleaning equipment. I'd better take him out."

People would do well to trust their instincts when it comes to issues of public safety, so I'm not sure why you'd want people to second guess those instincts just because they can't accurately identify what type of scary-looking weapon some guy is carrying when the point is really just that people shouldn't be carrying scary-looking things if they want to live in polite society and not scare people.

People need to think and be more situationally aware. If I understand things right, the guy with the AR is an Active Duty Master Sergeant. That's an E-8 for rank and you don't get that in short time in service. Even though it is an admin rank, you have been around long enough to know some things. Point being, have preventive measures to possible problems. Boston was just boomed. People are, and should be suspect to unusual or odd situations. Carrying the scary rifle is a given to cause issues these days. You're an uninformed idiot to think otherwise. How to mitigate the possible problem; call the law enforcement for the area you plan to be in for your hike. Make them aware of your intent and purpose, and field any questions from them at that time. Once everyone is on the same page and you carry out your plan, DO IT WITH NO MAG IN THE WEAPON. Reduce yourself as a threat.

And for the love of humanity, don't look like 300lbs of smashed assholes wearing a bandana and a crazy ass harness to sling your friggen boom stick to.

I like the idea of being out and hiking with some gear and what you might carry for combat or bug out. You just have to be smart about it and careful.

Here's how not to do it. Months ago there was the walk on the Capital for guns rights. I did go to this with a few people. I was not pleased with the conduct of what I have to now call "the common gun owner". People walked fully strapped, with vests and other gear. Many people had AK's, AR's, a MP5 look alike, and many others. It was decided to walk the side walk around the Capital and not cause congestion. I thought I'd do a lap and end up where I parked and leave. I just didn't like the atmosphere or the mass of people. While walking, the guy in front of us carrying an AR and mag in it, all the sudden loses the bottom to the mag. He must have been messing with it or something, because they don't just fail. With the spring in it fully compress, he drops 30 rounds out the bottom of the mag that was in the weapon. WHAT. THE. FUCK. ARE. YOU. DOING?

This, in my opinion is the common AR owner now. Until I meet you and see you handle a weapon, this is always in my mind.

I am by no means a gun expert. The first one certainly appears to be one. And I'm sure you're trying to make a point that the average American doesn't know what a machine gun is, so I imagine that the second gun has some sort of automatic firing capacity, right? Because the second one appears at first look, to be a non-auto rifle, but what do I know.

Hell, the first one could be a paintball gun, for all I know. The point is, when you see someone walking around in public with that, you're going to call it in. You're not going to go up and inspect to see what type of gun it is, or check the person's ccw papers, or inquire as to why they're carrying that type of gun

My point was simply this: The reason for much of the hysteria comes from the uneducated who insist on implementing their reasoning.

What I'm NOT saying is that you SHOULDN'T be alarmed if you see someone strolling around with an AR. I agree with you on that. I just wish that everyone who spoke up/out against ANYTHING, be it gun or whatever, educated themselves. An AR is not a "machine gun". You yourself though said it "looks scary". Those two guns are the same caliber semi auto. The AR in that set up for sure could hold more rounds, but they're the same type of rifle. If something LOOKS scary to me I'd like to be informed as to what it is and what its full capabilities are. That's all.

Not saying you're right or wrong and maybe I'm not getting my point across or maybe I'm even an idiot for trying to make this point. I don't know. What I do know is I personally wish everyone who ever spoke out strongly for either side of anything was educated all around to make an informed decision.

Also, PLEASE don't take this as a jab or as "I'm smart and you're stupid." In fact, I'd venture to say you're an all around smarter individual than myself. I have no clue. :lol:

But Kirk isn't talking about banning anything, he's talking about people walking around in public with guns. So it doesn't really matter if it's an M-60 or an AR-15 or a Mini-14 with "tactical" mods or a BB gun or a movie prop. If it looks alarming, you probably shouldn't carry it around in public. Or if you do, you shouldn't be surprised if people are, you know, alarmed.

Fair enough. Again though, just b/c many people cars on here LOOK like they're "street racing ultra high performance public endangering vehicles" doesn't mean they are. Just b/c someone owns a "big scary Rottweiler/Doberman/pit/german shepherd/mastiff etc. doesn't mean they are.

So I'm not sure what your goal here is. If Kirk or someone else sees some bloke walking around with what appears to be an M-16, and the bloke is walking towards what appears to be a movie theater, do you want him to pause and reflect on this moment? "Well that gun certainly looks like it has no business being near a movie theater, but M-16s are bust-fire and expensive to own, and from this distance almost indistinguishable from a civilian AR-15, which is only semi-auto and not truly an assault rifle per US Army definition. Or it could just be a Red Rider pump action BB gun that's dressed up to look like an M-16. My alarm is borne only out of ignorance, so I'll let that nice young chap carry about his business." Meanwhile, Kirk sees a guy with what appears to be a broom handle, but remembering this moment, he thinks to himself, "Well, it appears to be a broom handle, but it could also be a 1977 Ukrainian made Vetlshlyeva QC-64 assault broom handle, cleverly designed by the soviets to be the most deadly automatic weapon disguised as a piece of cleaning equipment. I'd better take him out."

Now we're back to concocting hypotheticals. Walking in a rural area known to have predators with your young unalarming looking son (see pics) and walking into a theatre like that are two VERY different things. Just as people say, "you can't compare cars to guns" we shouldn't compare these situations IMO.

People would do well to trust their instincts when it comes to issues of public safety, so I'm not sure why you'd want people to second guess those instincts just because they can't accurately identify what type of scary-looking weapon some guy is carrying when the point is really just that people shouldn't be carrying scary-looking things if they want to live in polite society and not scare people.

When did I say second guess instincts? Never did. I'm one part playing devils advocate and one part trying to get people to understand that educating yourself on something you feel strongly about is imperative to making your point. I can't rightly take a side on any issue if I don't fully understand the other side or at least know what it/they're about.

Pit bulls look scary. Should we kill them all? If I see you walking a Doberman should I report you since you COULD have trained it to kill?

I dunno man. I'm not saying Kirk, the guy in the vid, or anyone else is "right" or "wrong". I'm simply trying to see everyone's take on it. That's all.

Also, I pretty much agree wholly with what Mojoe said.

Have a great day fellas. :)

My point was simply this: The reason for much of the hysteria comes from the uneducated who insist on implementing their reasoning.

What I'm NOT saying is that you SHOULDN'T be alarmed if you see someone strolling around with an AR. I agree with you on that. I just wish that everyone who spoke up/out against ANYTHING, be it gun or whatever, educated themselves. An AR is not a "machine gun". You yourself though said it "looks scary". Those two guns are the same caliber semi auto. The AR in that set up for sure could hold more rounds, but they're the same type of rifle. If something LOOKS scary to me I'd like to be informed as to what it is and what its full capabilities are. That's all.

:)

understood, and agreed upon. i'm likely to see a thread like this, watch the video, and go out and look up what an AR is and educate myself. i actually just finished the book 'american sniper'--chris kyle's autobiography. pretty great book, and a good look into firearms and what it takes to be a seal and a sniper. aside from that, i grew up in a very anti-gun household. my father has probably never even held a gun or seen one up close. more americans are like this than not.

so when i'm in rome, i do as the romans do. the general public is not likely to educate themselves regarding which weapons are autos, and which are not. the general public will likely never be 'cool' with people just plopping their ass down on a public park bench/playground with an AR15 slung over their shoulder. even if it is completely legal to do so, it is utterly fucking unnecessary. taking a hike in the woods with a shotgun in tote, or seeing a gunrack on the back window of a pickup---yeah, i can see that, and so can most americans.

Kirk, I agree with what you're saying, and I understand the general public not understanding what may or may not be legal, especially in regards to firearms. I am not ok with the police not knowing, though I'm fine with them responding to a call, and cautiously checking out the situation (unfortunately we don't know what happened at the start). There is a common misconception that the AR holds no value as a sporting/hunting rifle and that is patently false on both accounts, and such drivel generally spews forth from the gaping maws of people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. The AR generally fires one of the more common varmint rounds the .223.

Of course, public perception is what it is, and even being very much a fan of the AR platform, I would check twice if I saw one slung over someone just walking around.

On the pro gun side it comes down to "a right not exercised is a right lost."

Guy should have complied with any orders law enforcement gave him and just been on his way though. I'm sure he probably tried to argue that he was doing nothing wrong. The side of the road is never the place for that argument unfortunately.

Law enforcement should have told reporters of the "man with gun", that it isn't suspicious to be carrying a rifle in and of itself and to mind their business.

I carried an AR around in New Mexico and Texas all the time, though I was wearing camo as well. I wonder if that would make a difference in people's perception.

not mine....there are only 2 acceptable places to wear camo clothing in my mind. In the woods hunting and on the battle field. I see some guy rocking camo and a rifle anywhere but those 2 places and I immediately think "nutcase". :D You could even take the rifle away and if you're out in public wearing camo you're most likely the guy that strikes up a conversation that no one else wants to talk to.

not mine....there are only 2 acceptable places to wear camo clothing in my mind. In the woods hunting and on the battle field. I see some guy rocking camo and a rifle anywhere but those 2 places and I immediately think "nutcase". :D You could even take the rifle away and if you're out in public wearing camo you're most likely the guy that strikes up a conversation that no one else wants to talk to.

Ever been to west Texas? There ain't much in the way of a forest out there. And there are different types of camo besides that which is designed for the 'woods'.

Ever been to west Texas? There ain't much in the way of a forest out there. And there are different types of camo besides that which is designed for the 'woods'.

Lol, yeah and pretty much anywhere outside of ohio's major cities.

The citizen was being a fucking cocksucker. Plain and simple. He's shocked the police station got multiple calls of a guy walking around with what looks to be a machine gun? Of course the police are going to investigate it. Cockbags like this do nothing but hurt the cause for conceal carry laws.

+1

I wear camo pants sometimes to work on the farm, do yard work, etc. :fa:

Lol, yeah and pretty much anywhere outside of ohio's major cities.

:lol: So very true.