Senate rejects expanded gun background checks

Moostang

God damn it feels good to see Obama have his jimmies rustled up a bit.

The actions of Biden right before Obama spoke are hilarious as well. I'm assuming this is the video that was talked about in the first few posts.

Butthurt president is butthurt.

Now can we get this fucktard to stop focusing on gun control and maybe take care of something in this country that is important.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you link a source? I want to read it I am not saying you are incorrect.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/apr/16/Arizona-Citizens-Defense-League/gun-rights-group-says-senate-bill-proposes-univers/

Here is the Toomey ammendement that was in the final bill:

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=968

I love how Obama keeps stating that the Repubs were lying in order to drum up support against it, while at the same time, keeps throwing around this "90% of Americans support it" horseshit.

I hate politicians from both sides.

I'm not sure why you guys keep rejecting this poll. It was a poll it does exist and it is fair game to reference it.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes--centers/polling-institute/pennsylvania/release-detail?ReleaseID=1843

I'm not sure why you guys keep rejecting this poll. It was a poll it does exist and it is fair game to reference it.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes--centers/polling-institute/pennsylvania/release-detail?ReleaseID=1843

So they conducted a poll in the northeast corner of the country, giving no further specifics as to where exactly in those states the poll was conducted. And that equates to 90% of Americans? C'mon man...

I'm not doubting that they did conduct the poll, only as to how it was carried out. They should have went to Chicago, NYC, and San Fran; then their numbers would be more like 100%.

Required background checks on all transfers of guns is the first step in a national gun registry.

The law originally had wording that even temporary transfer could be considered a felony.

If me and you were going to the range and you wanted to try out my gun. If I handed it too you that would be considered a felony because I did not do a background check on you before allowing you to use my weapon.

At some point I think the bill was amended which is what I think the Toomey republican had added to remove that.

I don't really see the big deal. No one is taking away any rights. There's no cons to it coming from a unbiased view point.

I get what you're saying about being at a range, that would be silly. Then again if you were to let a buddy use your gun at the range and he did have a felony and you were unaware... What would happen in that case?

that hardly represents the view of the US or even a fair slice of it. let's do the same survey in two red states like TX and TN and call it fair then.

it is disappointing to see that 40+% feel stricture gun laws would reduce gun violence in schools. love to know how they think it will accomplish that.

that hardly represents the view of the US or even a fair slice of it. let's do the same survey in two red states like TX and TN and call it fair then.

it is disappointing to see that 40+% feel stricture gun laws would reduce gun violence in schools. love to know how they think it will accomplish that.

That's fair.

Here are more:

86%: http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/04/16/National-Politics/Polling/question_10459.xml?uuid=I7UsPqaCEeKeHLsPsMLt2Q

83-87 (CNN): http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

That last one shows a fox news poll that is 91 at the beginning of the year, 85 more recently.

It's hard to argue against every poll from 7 different sources over the course of 4 months.

That's fair.

Here are more:

86%: http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/04/16/National-Politics/Polling/question_10459.xml?uuid=I7UsPqaCEeKeHLsPsMLt2Q

That last one shows a fox news poll that is 91 at the beginning of the year, 85 more recently.

It's hard to argue against every poll from 7 different sources over the course of 4 months.

That's honestly very surprising, especially from the Fox poll (which one would obviously think would be skewed the other way). Of those who support it, I would like an honest explanation of how it would truly help the situation. I'm also surprised that mental health was the lowest on the list of concerns for those who voted. People apparently still think that guns are the problem, and that's a problem IMO.

That's fair.

Here are more:

I'll leave it at this.....the polls show just as did the outcome of our election that the majority of people taking these polls and casting votes are stupid and understand very little in the way things impact the nation overall or affect real beneficial change.

To think that imposing this new law is going to reduce or be valid response to the shootings in the news recently or in any way comfort the parents of those children with valid peace of mind is dumb. I feel bad for the parents but supporting this won't stop the next shooting and it wouldn't have saved their kids.

It's true intent is to calm the masses of sheep, play off fears of recent events to garner more sheep and move this country one step closer to a nationwide gun registration program in which the powers in charge can begin to tax people further and enforce more restrictions on them.

Obama and Biden are killing this country and need to step down.

People apparently still think that guns are the problem, and that's a problem IMO.

people are stupid and there's not much of a chance at fixing that when the plague is so great and those in control hold the magic stupid-stick that creates more.

I'm marching on Washington to ban fertilizer plants and pressure cookers. In fact seeing someone carrying a bag of fertilizer and a pressure cooker on a plane or a gun....hmmm.... which would you be more scared to see.

people are stupid

That's my initial reaction to the polls posted. I guess I will concede that the polls do, in fact (or according to that site) show ~80-90% of Americans who took the polls feel that the legislation would have helped. Granted, polling is the only real way to gather this kind of data, however, I do not feel it is always completely accurate. I can only speculate on why these inaccuracies might occur. None the less, I still don't buy that 80-90% of Americans even come close to understanding the gun culture or laws in this country.

Well 34% of Americans own a gun so there should be concern that up to 2/3s of the gun sub-culture doesn't understand itself.

34% of Americans or American households. My guess is and it's apparent in at least one of the surveys that many who took the survey don't actually own or handle or make decisions about the firearms in their home. I bet $1 my neighbors hippie kid who thinks guns are evil took that survey. Same kid who's dad owns several guns.

I'm sure we could find polls in the 50's where a majority of "AMERICA" supported separate bathrooms for blacks. Sometimes, the majority is wrong.

You're bringing common sense to a gun debate. Don't make me slap you.

Hmmm, I'm re-thinking this whole separate bathroom thing. If Chinese folks get their own bathrooms, living in a city with a low Chinese population, would basically mean I get private bathrooms almost everywhere. Unless they use the old "all Asians look alike" argument, then I'd have to share my bathroom with some disgusting Japanese people, and that would totally ruin it.

Hmmm, I'm re-thinking this whole separate bathroom thing. If Chinese folks get their own bathrooms, living in a city with a low Chinese population, would basically mean I get private bathrooms almost everywhere. Unless they use the old "all Asians look alike" argument, then I'd have to share my bathroom with some disgusting Japanese people, and that would totally ruin it.

Just pull your gun out and tell them to step aside that the shitter is yours.

34% of Americans or American households. My guess is and it's apparent in at least one of the surveys that many who took the survey don't actually own or handle or make decisions about the firearms in their home. I bet $1 my neighbors hippie kid who thinks guns are evil took that survey. Same kid who's dad owns several guns.

34% is personal self-reported. Household is around 45% according to Gallup.

Well 34% of Americans own a gun so there should be concern that up to 2/3s of the gun sub-culture doesn't understand itself.

34% is personal self-reported. Household is around 45% according to Gallup.

Addressing your first point, I don't have a concern that some gun owners don't understand the culture or how in fact their having registerered their firearms isn't going to curb gun crimes / shootings. 90% of the drivers out there don't understand the rules of the road either. That's life and Darwin takes care of many of them.

It just proves they have very little understanding of life in general. They are of the same heard of sheep that follow the train of thought that making drugs illegal will curb drug related crimes. Have I got news for them.......

Self reported....sure. I won't argue the percentages. Ask my mother if she owns a gun and she would say yes even though the guns in their home aren't hers nor does she own them or use them or ever hold them. However, given it's just her and my father, they now make up a statistic of 100% that 2 of 2 owns a gun. meh.....