If you help: No more front plate required by law

flashburn

Everyone in the thread seems to think this law passing or failing will be left up to chance or an ambiguous "they". Let me remind you that everyone should call or write their representative to make sure it passes, because "they" are very normal and reachable people.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll rock my front plate because I have a white car and it blends in a bit more...

....JK...

Have to rock it, too cheap to pay for a $98 ticket.

I would like to see them lighten up on the plate cover shit. I don't understand why we can't have tinted plate covers, somehow we have to cover up that ugly "beautiful ohio" plate somehow :lol:

Ticket for no front plate? Luxury tax for not fucking the aesthetics of my car.

I like it.

The corollary:

Running a front plate? The aesthetics fucking price I pay to NOT have you pull me over and write me up for the rest of the shit on/off my car that possibly doesn't meet DOT, EPA, and/or state and local statute requirements.

Ridiculous. I was in Marietta and around the border there yesterday. Near the bridge that crosses the Ohio at a light, I watched auto after auto with no front plate. (Those were mostly W. Virginia plates.) None of them exploded, my safety was never compromised, and the world never ended. At least half the autos I noticed had no front license plate yet were driving in Ohio (just out of state plates). You think they all got pulled over?

One more little tidbit. Drove my Supra around with no front plate and Texas plate on the back for I don't know how long here. (Some of you are well aware of this. lol) Never pulled over for the plate thing.

My conclusion? The front plate law exist solely to harass and/or "tax" Ohioans. It's a crock of shit.

I like it.

The corollary:

Running a front plate? The aesthetics fucking price I pay to NOT have you pull me over and write me up for the rest of the shit on/off my car that possibly doesn't meet DOT, EPA, and/or state and local statute requirements.

I can totally agree with this logic.

Ticket for no front plate here in Cleveland (Parma specifically) is $158. I still got a ticket for having my front plate "partially concealed" because it is behind my lower grille in my bumper.

Parma are bastards.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUPER-NEW-HUGE-CLEAR-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-License-Plate-Cover-25th-30TH-CETA-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16ZHJG!E9nm3q9NnBQ8rry68dQ~~60_35.JPG

Would love to see this pass, need the bird on the front of my car instead of that license plate holding thing...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUPER-NEW-HUGE-CLEAR-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-License-Plate-Cover-25th-30TH-CETA-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16ZHJG!E9nm3q9NnBQ8rry68dQ~~60_35.JPG

I know the next thing on my list now...

Lawmakers Debate If Ohio Vehicles Need 2 Plates

Thursday May 2, 2013 5:12 PM

UPDATED: Thursday May 2, 2013 6:10 PM

By Josh Poland

COLUMBUS, Ohio - If a couple of state representatives get their way, you will no longer need to have a license plate on the front of your vehicle.

State Rep. Stephen Slesnick, D-Canton, and State Rep. Terry Johnson, R-McDermott, introduced House Bill 133 in April. Slesnick is on record saying the move would be a cost-saving measure.

"I think it's a great idea,” said Grove City resident Bill Walton.

Walton had just picked up some new plates from an Ohio BMV office when asked about the proposed legislation. He said having to get two plates can be frustrating.

"When I bought my car here recently, they brought it in from out of state and it didn't have a front license plate holder on it and I had to go back and get one just so I could get a front license plate on it,” Walton said. "Why make two plates when you could only make one?"

It is a philosophy Ohio’s neighboring states seem to share.

Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan all require just a single license plate on vehicles.

The latest numbers from the Ohio Legislative Service Commission suggest the state could save about $1.3 million by not issuing a front plate.

But not everyone is sold on the idea of abandoning the front license plate in Ohio, especially law enforcement.

"I think it's best for the police, and ultimately it's better for the citizens, to have as much identifying features on a vehicle to help them out in their time of need,” said Jeff Simpson, Vice President of the Capital City Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #9.

Simpson said it would be more difficult for cops to do their jobs if vehicles were to only carry one plate.

He says an example can be seen in license plate readers on police cruisers. Simpson said they work better when there are two plates to spot on a stolen vehicle.

He said an extra plate is an extra chance to stop crime.

"It's one more tool that the police have to identify that car as quickly as possible,” Simpson said.

Bob Cornwell, executive director of the Buckeye State Sheriffs’ Association, agrees.

“(Front-end plates) are too important of a law enforcement tool for investigative purposes,” he said.

Watch 10TV and refresh 10tv.com for the latest news.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/02/ohio-license-plates.html

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Ohio Bill to Provide for Single License Plate Approved by Committee; Moves to House Floor for Vote

Legislation (H.B. 133) to require that motor vehicles display only a single license plate on the rear of the vehicle was approved by the Ohio House Transportation, Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. The bill now moves to the floor of the House of Representatives for a vote by all members.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Ohio House of Representatives (Contact Info Below) Immediately to Request Support for H.B. 133

H.B. 133 would save money, conserve resources and bring Ohio in line with other states that have moved to a single plate requirement.

H.B. 133 would protect the design contours of collector cars and relieve vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on some fabricated and original bumpers.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Ohio House immediately to request their support for H.B. 133. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Ohio House of Representatives

To e-mail all House members, copy and paste the email address block below:

rep01@ohiohouse.gov; rep02@ohiohouse.gov; rep03@ohiohouse.gov; rep04@ohiohouse.gov; rep05@ohiohouse.gov; rep06@ohiohouse.gov; rep07@ohiohouse.gov; rep08@ohiohouse.gov; rep09@ohiohouse.gov; rep10@ohiohouse.gov; rep11@ohiohouse.gov; rep12@ohiohouse.gov; rep13@ohiohouse.gov; rep14@ohiohouse.gov; rep15@ohiohouse.gov; rep16@ohiohouse.gov; rep17@ohiohouse.gov; rep18@ohiohouse.gov; rep19@ohiohouse.gov; rep20@ohiohouse.gov; rep21@ohiohouse.gov; rep22@ohiohouse.gov; rep23@ohiohouse.gov; rep24@ohiohouse.gov; rep25@ohiohouse.gov; rep26@ohiohouse.gov; rep27@ohiohouse.gov; rep28@ohiohouse.gov; rep29@ohiohouse.gov; rep30@ohiohouse.gov; rep31@ohiohouse.gov; rep32@ohiohouse.gov; rep33@ohiohouse.gov; rep34@ohiohouse.gov; rep35@ohiohouse.gov; rep36@ohiohouse.gov; rep37@ohiohouse.gov; rep38@ohiohouse.gov; rep39@ohiohouse.gov; rep40@ohiohouse.gov; rep41@ohiohouse.gov; rep42@ohiohouse.gov; rep43@ohiohouse.gov; rep44@ohiohouse.gov; rep45@ohiohouse.gov; rep46@ohiohouse.gov; rep47@ohiohouse.gov; rep48@ohiohouse.gov; rep49@ohiohouse.gov; rep50@ohiohouse.gov; rep51@ohiohouse.gov; rep52@ohiohouse.gov; rep53@ohiohouse.gov; rep54@ohiohouse.gov; rep55@ohiohouse.gov; rep56@ohiohouse.gov; rep57@ohiohouse.gov; rep58@ohiohouse.gov; rep59@ohiohouse.gov; rep60@ohiohouse.gov; rep61@ohiohouse.gov; rep62@ohiohouse.gov; rep63@ohiohouse.gov; rep64@ohiohouse.gov; rep65@ohiohouse.gov; rep66@ohiohouse.gov; rep67@ohiohouse.gov; rep68@ohiohouse.gov; rep69@ohiohouse.gov; rep70@ohiohouse.gov; rep71@ohiohouse.gov; rep72@ohiohouse.gov; rep73@ohiohouse.gov; rep74@ohiohouse.gov; rep75@ohiohouse.gov; rep76@ohiohouse.gov; rep77@ohiohouse.gov; rep78@ohiohouse.gov; rep79@ohiohouse.gov; rep80@ohiohouse.gov; rep81@ohiohouse.gov; rep82@ohiohouse.gov; rep83@ohiohouse.gov; rep84@ohiohouse.gov; rep85@ohiohouse.gov; rep86@ohiohouse.gov; rep87@ohiohouse.gov; rep88@ohiohouse.gov; rep89@ohiohouse.gov; rep90@ohiohouse.gov; rep91@ohiohouse.gov; rep92@ohiohouse.gov; rep93@ohiohouse.gov; rep94@ohiohouse.gov; rep95@ohiohouse.gov; rep96@ohiohouse.gov; rep97@ohiohouse.gov; rep98@ohiohouse.gov; rep99@ohiohouse.gov

Good to hear it made it out of committee!

The issue is always with those license plate scanners; they invest a ton of money in order to keep tabs on us and our driving habits.

Ever notice how they cite finding stolen cars as the most common reason to keep front plates, yet when someone's car gets stolen the standard response is always "we'll keep an eye out but it's unlikely you'll get your car back" and it's up to you to get your own damn car back with your own detective work?

This would kick ass, if passed. I just bought a car in Michigan last night and of course, it's got no front plate or bracket for it. My Cobra doesn't have one either. Crossing my fingers... :nod:

This would kick ass, if passed. I just bought a car in Michigan last night and of course, it's got no front plate or bracket for it. My Cobra doesn't have one either. Crossing my fingers... :nod:

The Vibe I just bought has no pre drilled holes or anything on the front bumper where a plate would go. I hoping "grandpa-ing" around in a Vibe will keep my under the radar, so to speak... and literally, I guess.

Highway patrol debates it is a matter of public safety. Regardless if the public wants them gone you're not going to win against an argument like that

you can easily win, because its a total bullshit argument. just seems that no one apparently wants to call them on it.

do they have any objective scientific evidence that having no front plate is somehow less safe than having two? or it just just based on their own anecdotal evidence?

sure they will say, oh sometimes a hit and run gets solved because the front plate is left there. does anyone ask what percentage of total hit and runs are solved this way? probably 1% or less... they say no front plate will save the state at least a million per year. should we really be spending this money to solve 5 hit and runs?

they will say, oh it makes it harder to identify when a criminal is driving towards you blah blah blah... MI, KY, WV, IN and PA don't require a front plate... so what happens there? are criminals just getting away with stuff everywhere? if the cops in those states can handle it, im sure the cops here can handle it. if not, then they are basically admitting that the police in every state where you only need one plate are better at their job than OSHP, and we KNOW that's not true.

the REAL reason they dont want it to go away is because a) it gives them a reason to stop you when they have no other reason. b) it generates revenue for them. c) its a nice big laser target, which links to b - revenue generation.

Edited by cptn janks

My G8 has no mounting place either, I purchased a "show n go" (junk) after being ticketed by a Whitehall cop for

1. No front plate

2.tint

3.tinted rear plate cover

$120 a piece, all in one stop.

$360 no warnings lol

Went to court and the magistrate tossed two of 'em.