Lawn Care - Zero Turn Question

LPFSTheFett

So, I'm building a new home in Galena that has 5.5 acres of land and 4 of it is all grass. I'm wanting a zero turn that doesn't beat me to death.

I have a 42" toro and it's been a great mower for my home now, but would obviously take me a week to do the new house. So I went out to BPS and picked up a new Exmark 60" Pioneer with their $800 upgraded seat and that thing absolutely sucks to drive. It's so bad that if you aren't going 2 mph, it will buck so much it makes you hit the bars forward and back, making it nearly impossible to make straight lines.

The first time I used it, was at the new land and I thought it was just bumpy as crap because nothing has ever been done to the land to really level it off. Then I used it at my house, and no, it sucks there too.

So needless to say, I'm probably going to return it to BPS and get a different one. My options will be picking up a Scag or an upgraded eXmark. I know some here do lawn care, figured some may have experience with both?

Thanks!

Jason

I have a 50" Toro SS5000 and it's pretty smooth. I mow about 2.5 acres and it's great on gas and actually pretty fun. You are welcome to come out and test drive it, lawn is due to be mowed. lol

I don't think it's too rough, but it's pretty hard to get a smooth suspention on a Zero turn from what I here.

Yeah, both yards need rolled for sure! But the Toro doesn't buck like the exmark does. Maybe it's the bigger tires? No clue, guess I'll take a field trip back to BPS to ask them.

Mojoe - I'm going to send you a PM about the CCW class. :)

I love my Dixie Chopper.... Our house was built 17years ago and I mow around 3acres. It took many years of rolling to get a somewhat smooth yard. Xmarks are good mowers too.

Does your current mower have suspension? The frame needs to be on springs from the wheels.

Something like this: http://www.ferrisindustries.com/us/en/zero-turn-mowers/is3100z/

Plan on spending over $5k for a nice one. My father-in law has a ferris with suspension, rides great. Cost $8k. Mows 4 acres in 1.5 hours I think.

exmark is a bad ass mower... something isn't adjusted right on that mower.

I had a Cub Cadet ZForce commercial zero turn that I just got rid of and bought a huscivarna zero turn and neither one of those would buck me off of the seat.... with that being said, zero turns are considerably harder on the body than a rider mower, but with larger properties, zero turns are almost a necessity.

BTW, Torro's are pretty much bottom end mowers and Exmark's are pretty high up there... you should have seen a considerable better ride, cutting quality, and speed that the lawn gets cut in.

HUSTLER all the way. Go to JD Equipment and look at them. Thats what we use and love it.

Didn't the city of Dublin recently switch from JD to Hustlers a couple of years ago? Ive heard when JD changed their mower line they fucked them up and its hard to mow straight.

Went back to BPS and after sitting on a couple there, I think it may be the upgraded suspension seat they have on my mower that's causing all the problems. I'm going to take it back to them on Friday and get it all figured out and ride some of their other mowers. I already spent the money with BPS and wouldn't dare ask for them to refund my money so I could go to another company. I guess once I spend money with someone, I feel I made a comitment to that company.

The suspension seat is not bottoming out, I actually think it's just too springy. The wife said when I was cutting the yard, the mower barely moved, but I was all over the place.

When comparing the upgraded seat of the Exmark to the Scag, the Exmark is done with springs while the scag feels like it's done with shocks. So when you sit on the scag it just absorbs your body and slows your decent, where the exmark just pushes back like a trampoline.

The mower was like $7800, so it's not a cheapy, but certainly not top of the line compared to some of the ones they have. If I end up not being happy with the exmark, I'll probably get a Scag with their upgraded seat. Cost another $2k, but if I'm going to be on it a couple hours a week, then it will be worth it in the long run.

On the lawn rolling. I've heard that it really compacts your soil and overall is bad on your yard. Any truth to this? I guess other than this, there would really be no easy way to do it, other than regrading the property.

Didn't the city of Dublin recently switch from JD to Hustlers a couple of years ago? Ive heard when JD changed their mower line they fucked them up and its hard to mow straight.

Yessir. I did a ton of research before I purchased my 54" X1. Big thumbs down to JD.

On the lawn rolling. I've heard that it really compacts your soil and overall is bad on your yard. Any truth to this? I guess other than this, there would really be no easy way to do it, other than regrading the property.

It does compact it, but it is then flat....follow it up by aeration and you are good to go.

Great thread. I bought a 54" non-zero turn Cub when I moved in 2005, and the damn thing bounces me all over that place to the point I have to slow down 30-40 times per mow. I would gladly spend double if I knew there was something easier on my spine... and my beer.