Are you fat?

Casper

• 6 months later...

"It might be embarrassing to have to have a flatbed and forklift required to move a patient..."

Having chicken bones, a bag of Cheetos, and your pet chihuaha stuck in the fat folds- that would be embarrassing. Needing a forklift to move your fat ass- that's pathetic.

Since the links are dead, I have a few questions.

First off I'm a larger fella, both tall and wide.

Are they going by weight? Height? Width?

I seem to have more of a problem with my knees getting smashed than I do with rubbing elbows with the person next to me.

I have no problem with the policy, as I have also had people violate my bubble when flying. I just want to know how they are going to measure the restriction.

If need be, I'll fly first class.

The excuse to overcharge is the weight and balance factor of the aircraft. It's calculated on an average weight per occupied seat. (Small planes ask everyone how much they weigh or actually weigh them.) They theoretically adjust that calculation by selling two seats for a person that is twice normal weight. This has some basis in reality, since the aircraft's cost of operation is based on.... weight of cargo vs distance, in terms of fuel usage.

Scary is when the steward/stewardesses start asking big people to move to first class. That actually means that the weight and balance calculations were screwed up and they are trying to correct in flight. Nose heavy isn't near as bad as tail heavy. Tail heavy bad, very bad... goes to stall condition too easily.

I was on one flight where they asked EVERYONE to move as far forward as possible. geez... What the Hell did they load in the back of the cargo bay below, tropical fish in water? Bars of lead? Something was out of whack.

"Excuse me, this is the pilot speaking... Can everyone move forward into empty seats? I really need this, my arms are getting tired of wrestling us into level flight. <We're barely flying at all...> Are you there yet? Could you move a little faster? A little help please?"